Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333585 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #575 on: 03 July, 2014, 09:29:02 am »
Our local branch of Morrisons has stopped stocking their Signature Series Normandy butter so I've had to go to T***o. I don't think I was spotted, though.
It would be so much easier if they built a Waitrose somewhere close by.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #576 on: 03 July, 2014, 02:21:16 pm »
Tokyo? I didn't think the Japanese were all that good with dairy stuff.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #577 on: 24 July, 2014, 06:46:09 pm »
Just noticed I've dropped from platinum to gold Wiggle discount. I placed an order the other day, too! :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #578 on: 24 July, 2014, 07:42:15 pm »
You obviously need to buy MOAR Things.
Getting there...

« Reply #579 on: 24 July, 2014, 09:33:08 pm »
Our local branch of Morrisons has stopped stocking their Signature Series Normandy butter so I've had to go to T***o. I don't think I was spotted, though.
It would be so much easier if they built a Waitrose somewhere close by.
I believe there are branches in Ramsgate and Canterbury  :P

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #580 on: 01 August, 2014, 11:41:08 am »
Getting there...

<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #582 on: 01 August, 2014, 01:14:32 pm »
There is no milk in the fridge

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #583 on: 02 August, 2014, 10:32:53 am »
I cannot read the display on my iPod when it's connected to the hi-fi, as it's too far away.  And I doubt my binoculars will be any use at that range :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #584 on: 02 August, 2014, 01:30:03 pm »
I cannot read the display on my iPod when it's connected to the hi-fi, as it's too far away.  And I doubt my binoculars will be any use at that range :(
What would happen if you taped your reading specs to the far end of your binoculars?
Only asking, mind...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #585 on: 19 September, 2014, 07:45:15 am »
I got upgraded to business class on my flight (again) and spilled port on my t-shirt when I nodded off in my horizontal bed position (again).   :facepalm:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #586 on: 19 September, 2014, 08:44:23 am »
We just got given a vitamix but now the other half wants a thermomix

« Reply #587 on: 19 September, 2014, 08:47:19 am »
We just got given a vitamix but now the other half wants a thermomix

A cook might be cheaper.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #588 on: 19 September, 2014, 08:55:22 am »
Being really upset at loosing a completely democratic independence vote and claiming that you are oppressed after a campaign that didn’t involve petrol bombs, riots, the army on the street or any kind of murder and after which no matter which way it went there would be no "disappearance" of political rivals or arrest of those working for the losing campaign.

Yes I have been reading the bottom half of the newspaper comments pages.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #589 on: 19 September, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
Anyone want to hang my washing outside? Socks, I hate hanging them up.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #590 on: 19 September, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »

Won't they get wet?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #591 on: 19 September, 2014, 03:12:10 pm »

Won't they get wet?
Believe it not, it's not actually raining outside. Though it is a bit meh and not drying out so I've hung up in the wash hoose.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #592 on: 19 September, 2014, 09:13:56 pm »
Sainbury's appear to have done away with my preferred varietal of chocolate for the second time, and all I have in the house is something poorly second best.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #593 on: 19 September, 2014, 10:18:20 pm »
One of my two new leather sofas came without the right bolts for the feet and DFS had to temporarily fit slightly shorter feet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #594 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:32:44 am »
http://vegadventure.weebly.com/

British Airways started using the above website as promotion, and releasing press releases linking back to the blog. Basically some "random" guy decides to fly some pointless convoluted route for 45 hrs to get Gold Status. Gold status means you get to use the first class lounge and hammer the free booze. On the blog he shows his Gold Status card which is valid for 2 years. For most people, Gold statuses have to renew from year to year, and BA are normally very strict, miss the quota, and you lose your status. So some "freeloader" getting a guaranteed 2 years has upset quite a few business travellers.

There are more than a few PAs being told to draft angry emails to BA right now to complain about the inequity in the system right now.

ian

« Reply #595 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:14:42 am »
http://vegadventure.weebly.com/

British Airways started using the above website as promotion, and releasing press releases linking back to the blog. Basically some "random" guy decides to fly some pointless convoluted route for 45 hrs to get Gold Status. Gold status means you get to use the first class lounge and hammer the free booze. On the blog he shows his Gold Status card which is valid for 2 years. For most people, Gold statuses have to renew from year to year, and BA are normally very strict, miss the quota, and you lose your status. So some "freeloader" getting a guaranteed 2 years has upset quite a few business travellers.

There are more than a few PAs being told to draft angry emails to BA right now to complain about the inequity in the system right now.

The entire pecking order of the Flying Class system always amuses me. Those chubby little businessmen with their cards clutched in sweaty palms. Their rush for priority boarding is probably the fastest they ever move without the benefit of a golf cart. They'd probably complain if the plane crashed and they weren't the first to hit the ground. I have them all categorised from the power-suited alpha-women bosses to the teenage trustees to the vanilla escapees from the usual economy class doldrums (like moi).

I'll confess though, the lounges are nicer than schlepping with hoi polloi in the free-range departure zoo, and the beds are better than the torture chairs they put in economy. I've sworn for a long time now that airlines put a lot of a time and effort into making economy worse just so first/business looks better. Come on, why else do you think you're waiting in a long, infinitely pointless queue staring at the 'fast track for first class ticket holders' sign? Ryanair? You don't think that was invented by a cartel of airline CEOs? They even gave it a comedy villain boss.

Many years ago I first got gold on USAir (it might have been AA) and the only palpable benefit of that was the cabin crew scowled slightly less. On US airlines it's always called something like Super Diplomat Envoy class, presumably because Americans don't have a class system and they're such exemplary diplomats.

Some places have a special lounge to keep proper First Class free from the off-the-peg salarymen that have scrambled into business class. Last year, travelling on a business ticket, I took the wrong corridor from the lounge reception to frantic cries of 'sir, sir, SIR!' I'll confess I ran and hid in the first class lounge toilet until it was safe for to come out and get cracking on the champagne. Eating from a buffet is so proletarian. They have table-service in First and everyone calls you 'sir.' It's a world where a Viscount isn't just a biscuit.

I would have been back on BA Gold but my boss did this year's tour of the far-east as I was on holiday, which is where I usually net all my tier points on business flights, so I languish in the netherlands of silver.

« Reply #596 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:21:16 am »
I'm pretty sure when I was doing some work for the CAA at Gatwick one of the check in desks said "upper class". I wondered if you had to show a documented ancestry going back to some Norman chancer to use it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #597 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:43:04 am »
There's BA lounge inflation. Business Class, has the business class lounge. The first class lounge is used by solely by Business class flyers with Gold Status. First class flyers have their own Concorde lounge.

Virgin have the upper class. Which is funny as Branson always seemed quite egalitarian to me, but I guess owning an island will turn you into a Bond villain whether you like it or not.

ian

« Reply #598 on: 22 September, 2014, 01:50:34 pm »
Oh, it's rumoured there's a lounge for those elevated above and beyond the usual choirs of traveller. Those of God-like status like Bono and Tony Blair hang out there being served canapes by supermodels while bathing in warmed Bollinger. The only way in is through a hidden door in terminal 5. I could tell you where it is, but then I'd have to kill you.

Sadly, I can only wangle business class these days for intercontinental flights longer than seven hours (the US east coast is excluded) and even then as the budget holder I'm aware of the finite nature of our travel funds. I often remind our sales droids, who always get giddy when they find they're allowed to upgrade, of the caveat 'with manager approval.' I'm not sure this does much for my popularity. I used to upgrade with my miles but my wife has discovered they pay for the holiday flights. In all honesty, it's very bad value for money (other than for the bed if it's an overnighter) and, of course, the status. Plus, you get access to the inflight control systems. From the comfort of your fully horizontal bed, select an economy class seat and activate the discomfort feature. Hours of fun making them squirm as you move the sticky-out bit around the seat back. Activate the crying baby in 55E? Oh yes.

« Reply #599 on: 22 September, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure when I was doing some work for the CAA at Gatwick one of the check in desks said "upper class". I wondered if you had to show a documented ancestry going back to some Norman chancer to use it.

Probably for RyanAir - you get to sit on the roof.