Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 335713 times)

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1225 on: 07 April, 2016, 09:44:02 am »
Having the nice grass verge outside your house plowed ploughed up by a large lorry delivering stuff to the house opposite.

What were they delivering?  Turf for their new lawn.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #1226 on: 07 April, 2016, 10:12:12 am »
We had that happen back in January.  According to one of our neighbours, a van/lorry/truck (her terminology varied) had got stuck at about 45 degrees (probably a considerable exaggeration) and had threatened to topple over into our hedge, all the while trashing our verge.  They reportedly blocked the road for 3 hours, and got pulled out shortly before either my wife or I got home to witness the spectacle.  Ba5t@rd$.  :demon:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1227 on: 07 April, 2016, 08:11:17 pm »
I have to take the car in for a service tomorrow.

Lots of luck with that.

Hopefully you will have a better experience than our Bumper...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1228 on: 08 April, 2016, 09:47:23 am »
We had that happen back in January.  According to one of our neighbours, a van/lorry/truck (her terminology varied) had got stuck at about 45 degrees (probably a considerable exaggeration) and had threatened to topple over into our hedge, all the while trashing our verge.  They reportedly blocked the road for 3 hours, and got pulled out shortly before either my wife or I got home to witness the spectacle.  Ba5t@rd$.  :demon:

We now have a bus stuck on our verge.  It has been there over 20 minutes and the back wheel just digs itself deeper - it's going nowhere.  The driver has eaten his lunch and is now out of his seat and gone for a little walk.  It has two passengers.   

Stop press: a passenger has left the bus and is advising the driver what to do it appears. Driver is phoning a friend. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #1229 on: 09 April, 2016, 06:16:42 pm »
Having the nice grass verge outside your house plowed ploughed up by a large lorry delivering stuff to the house opposite.

What were they delivering?  Turf for their new lawn.

Ah irony. Our verge has mostly gone, but I can't see it so have stopped feeling precious. Usually lorries trying to get around the corner, occasionally cars at the top of the narrow hill too impatient to wait an entire second or two so trying to squeeze by each other.

There's a concrete bollard that gets periodically knocked over, though the nice scrapes of coloured paint on it give me plenty of satisfaction.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1230 on: 09 April, 2016, 09:09:26 pm »
The forecast today was dry with sunny intervals all day.  We got rain showers, sleet and a bit of snow with sunny intervals.  As a result I have not got nearly as far as I planned with erecting our new greenhouse.  I shall not complete the job tomorrow and Mrs Tween will have to wait an entire extra 6 days to get planting.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1231 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:52:55 pm »
Chardonnay.
HTF did that end up in my shopping basket?
 :sick:

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #1232 on: 11 April, 2016, 11:53:44 pm »
Chardonnay.

Try and stick to just the one bottle next time ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #1233 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:58:28 pm »
Just buy Chablis, and pretend you don't know about varietals

« Reply #1234 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »
my cleaners normally come at 3.30 every second tuesday and I nip down the road for some coffee & cake while they're here.   

They came early today, just as I finished my lunch, but I felt too awkward to stay in the house so went out for coffee & (excellent) cake anyway meaning I'm still uncomfortably full.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1235 on: 12 April, 2016, 05:56:59 pm »
It's impossible to change one's pedal system without chipping one's nail varnish.

It was a really nice pale pink as well.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

« Reply #1236 on: 12 April, 2016, 06:58:09 pm »
Chardonnay.

More importantly, I bought some prepared veg on Saturday (because I'm on my own and feel lazy, and for added First World points, it was broccoli and cauliflower 'couscous'). I was preparing dinner last night and, well, it's nowhere to be found. So I either neglected to put it in my shopping bag or I've put it somewhere that is curiously not the fridge. The perils of going shopping with jetlag.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1237 on: 12 April, 2016, 07:03:08 pm »
Stick around, your nose will tell you soon enough . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1238 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:08:50 pm »

Or Mersault.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1239 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:14:58 pm »

Or Mersault.
You don't want a psychopathic killer in your shopping basket, do you!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1240 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:38:56 pm »
Chardonnay.

More importantly, I bought some prepared veg on Saturday (because I'm on my own and feel lazy, and for added First World points, it was broccoli and cauliflower 'couscous'). I was preparing dinner last night and, well, it's nowhere to be found. So I either neglected to put it in my shopping bag or I've put it somewhere that is curiously not the fridge. The perils of going shopping with jetlag.

Does this qualify as 'First World' given that you appear to have gone shopping (as opposed to having it delivered)?
Does that count?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1241 on: 13 April, 2016, 09:47:25 am »
If you are a car hire firm in a part of the country that markets itself heavily as the ideal place for a weekend getaway, wouldn't it be a good idea to stay open after 5pm on Fridays and perhaps have some way of returning cars on Sundays?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ian

« Reply #1242 on: 13 April, 2016, 12:39:21 pm »
Chardonnay.

Does this qualify as 'First World' given that you appear to have gone shopping (as opposed to having it delivered)?
Does that count?

I surely get some points for buying prepared vegetables and, ye gads, faux couscous made from scrambled up broccoli and cauliflower. I also bought some 'courgette noodles' and successfully didn't manage to lose those.

I can make my own courgette 'noodles' but I admit 'couscous' is more of a problem since I'm typically too lazy to mess with a food processor.

« Reply #1243 on: 16 April, 2016, 01:34:14 pm »
I may have to get a little vacuum cleaner to clean my robot vacuum cleaner that appears to be a magnet for dust

« Reply #1244 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:20:50 pm »
Chardonnay.

Does that count?

I surely get some points for buying prepared vegetables and, ye gads, faux couscous made from scrambled up broccoli and cauliflower. I also bought some 'courgette noodles' and successfully didn't manage to lose those.

I can make my own courgette 'noodles' but I admit 'couscous' is more of a problem since I'm typically too lazy to mess with a food processor.

I would've thought that would score quite high on the First World Problems register...

I may have to get a little vacuum cleaner to clean my robot vacuum cleaner that appears to be a magnet for dust
Have you considered applying some of the anti-static stuff for use on VDUs to your robo-vac?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1245 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:26:44 pm »
Isn't a vacuum cleaner *supposed* to be a dust magnet, thobut?

« Reply #1246 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:34:34 pm »
Isn't a vacuum cleaner *supposed* to be a dust magnet, thobut?
My interpretation, which could be wrong, is that it is the outside of Gerald's robo-vac which is attracting dust.
To me that suggests a static issue.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1247 on: 16 April, 2016, 03:05:34 pm »
Have you considered a, er, duster?  A damp one?   ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1248 on: 16 April, 2016, 04:16:04 pm »

And how will you keep the little one clean

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1249 on: 16 April, 2016, 04:26:52 pm »
My nail varnish is chipping terribly.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.