Author Topic: Slim down your bloated GPX track files  (Read 44278 times)

Re: Slim down your bloated GPX track files
« Reply #100 on: 26 August, 2022, 09:28:40 am »
Well free hosting is ending at Heroku but not till November.   Thus Simple-GPX will cease to exist online from November, unless I find free hosting in the mean time.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #101 on: 26 August, 2022, 10:40:52 am »
If it started to cost I would be happy to part fund..

+1 (me too) :thumbsup:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #102 on: 26 August, 2022, 01:29:32 pm »
Well free hosting is ending at Heroku but not till November.   Thus Simple-GPX will cease to exist online from November, unless I find free hosting in the mean time.

Oh no, just as I've started to use it as part of my workflow when submitting DIY rides.

Would it take much to package it up as an app that could be run locally, if that was an option you would consider?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #103 on: 26 August, 2022, 07:12:41 pm »
I’ve got 3 months before they charge.

I had a look around at cloud offerings this afternoon.   It looks like it’ll fit within the free tier option on Google Kubernetes.   It’s packaged in a Docker container , I should just need to set it up in Google console then deploy the container to Google. Then find out what url it has been assigned.

I’ll take a look at doing that September once I’ve confirmed my understanding is correct on the free tier conditions

« Reply #104 on: 02 September, 2022, 03:56:38 pm »
it is giving an error message at the moment

« Reply #105 on: 03 September, 2022, 10:30:12 am »
Working again

« Reply #106 on: 30 November, 2022, 07:02:55 am »
The free package hasn’t changed so far, and simple-gpx and its use case fits easily within the specifications and terms and conditions of free.  Hopefully there’s enough income from the paid Heroku packages that they keep the free option ticking along.

Has the free Heroku package ceased? No sign of life for the little simplify GPX app this morning.

« Reply #107 on: 30 November, 2022, 06:48:39 pm »
Bugger, ended on Monday. Forgot about that. I’ll take a look over the coming week at the alternate free hosting I was looking at.

« Reply #108 on: 28 December, 2022, 04:23:15 pm »
Site is not responding today.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #109 on: 28 December, 2022, 04:25:26 pm »
It won’t till I move it to a new free hosting site.  I’ll take a look at doing that Friday. Need to be in front of PC to do that.

« Reply #110 on: 28 December, 2022, 07:22:17 pm »
Okay now running on Google Cloud and should be free for the amount of use it gets (I hope). Replace the old url with this one.

https://simple-gpx-ncmlmbodrq-ew.a.run.app/

« Reply #111 on: 28 December, 2022, 07:31:48 pm »
Okay now running on Google Cloud and should be free for the amount of use it gets (I hope). Replace the old url with this one.

https://simple-gpx-ncmlmbodrq-ew.a.run.app/

Great news, thank you. I've never had much success finding anything quite as straightforward to use for getting GPXs down to a reasonable size for DIY and ECE validation.

« Reply #112 on: 28 December, 2022, 07:48:13 pm »
Thanks Phil, it's been a great little tool over the years. If you ever need it, I'd be happy to donate.

« Reply #113 on: 30 December, 2022, 03:02:00 pm »
Thanks, looks like I incurred £1.75 since setting up couple of days ago.    But I think that was just a misunderstanding on my part of the all the components it needs from Google Cloud.  Why can't these cloud providers use the same names for stuff? I've deleted / removed some Google services that I've realised weren't needed and generated those costs, and it still seems to be up and running. Looks like you get 50 mins of CPU free per month (on the Google Cloud service it is now running on), which should be enough for the usage it gets (I think).  I'll need to keep an eye on it for this first month, so no surprise bills. 

« Reply #114 on: 05 January, 2023, 12:06:37 pm »
Thanks, looks like I incurred £1.75 since setting up couple of days ago.    But I think that was just a misunderstanding on my part of the all the components it needs from Google Cloud.  Why can't these cloud providers use the same names for stuff? I've deleted / removed some Google services that I've realised weren't needed and generated those costs, and it still seems to be up and running. Looks like you get 50 mins of CPU free per month (on the Google Cloud service it is now running on), which should be enough for the usage it gets (I think).  I'll need to keep an eye on it for this first month, so no surprise bills. 

Thanks Phil, this is a great tool. I've DM'd you.

« Reply #115 on: 20 February, 2023, 12:48:08 pm »
I've been working on the ability for simple-gpx to take a GPX with tracks and waypoints in, and as well as being able to add waypoint proximity alarms, it can also convert those waypoints to work as cue points recognised by Garmin Edge and Wahoo GPS. 

It will do several things

• Change the coordinates of each waypoint to the coordinates of the nearest track point it can find in the simplified tracks(s)
  • Add the type info to the waypoints for the type of cue point
  • Copy the waypoint name to desc as some Wahoo units seem to need to that to recognise them correctly

The proximity alarm drop down will now have an option Garmin Edge/Wahoo cue point.   It will also add the elements required for cue points even if you selected a proximity alarm as the etrex ignores the cue point elements.

To help my workflows as an Audax organiser I'm now going to include the waypoints in the output track GPX.   This will enable those to be imported into Garmin Connect and Ride With GPS with the control cue points intact, to allow easy syncing with Garmin Edge and Wahoo GPS for those riding your events.  I'll still output the waypoints in a separate GPX for anyone who wants them separate.  This should enable a single clean workflow for providing the control alerts whether Garmin Etrex, Edge or Wahoo

It's in testing at the moment with tame Wahoo users (I now own both an Edge and Etrex GPS so can test those bits myself).

« Reply #116 on: 16 April, 2023, 09:19:37 pm »
Just here to publicly thank you Phil.
I use a Garmin Dakota 20 because it runs off AA batteries, does the job and I'm not spending ££££s to uprate .
I had a problem with a track and someone suggested using software like yours.
I wish that I had read this thread before my 300 k rather than after. :facepalm:

BTW it was the  Gainsborough to Alfreton section where my track disappeared .
I've done it so many times that I was calling the turns before my companions Garmin was.

« Reply #117 on: 17 April, 2023, 10:28:35 pm »
Thanks mad cow. 

I’m working on a revamped version,  with additional functionality, now that Basecamp just crashes on my PC.  But no timescales as of yet, early days.