Author Topic: What are you having for supper tonight?  (Read 331890 times)

Re: What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #2400 on: 27 November, 2013, 09:50:17 am »
Aye, Iron. Like 11% of women in the western world, and an even bigger proportion elsewhere, I haven't got enough.

The answer to my rhetorical question is, apparently, fortified products.
So by not eating breakfast cereal or bread or, really, anything with manufactured flour, I'm doing myself out of masses of magical Fe.
Hmmm.

Chris S

« Reply #2401 on: 27 November, 2013, 10:21:08 am »
I don't think you should rule out the Caribou blood soup that was on Ray Mears the other night...  :-X

« Reply #2402 on: 27 November, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
fboab I would struggle to get it from a normal diet as well I think..... are you against taking it in supplement form? The ferrous sulphate tablet things are quite good (although obv not that good as I'm being injected with iron atm  :facepalm: ) they're only a couple of quid but you normally have to ask for them from behind the counter. Surely better than feeling like you're dragging yourself through treacle all the time?

Otherwise, keep eating the liver I guess  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2403 on: 27 November, 2013, 12:39:59 pm »
I don't think you should rule out the Caribou blood soup that was on Ray Mears the other night...  :-X
I saw or maybe read about a tribe of nomadic reindeer herders in Siberia, who eat the raw, warm heart of a reindeer, plucked from its body immediately they kill it.

There probably aren't any reindeer in Suffolk so maybe black pudding?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2404 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:13:11 pm »
fboab I would struggle to get it from a normal diet as well I think..... are you against taking it in supplement form? The ferrous sulphate tablet things are quite good (although obv not that good as I'm being injected with iron atm  :facepalm: ) they're only a couple of quid but you normally have to ask for them from behind the counter. Surely better than feeling like you're dragging yourself through treacle all the time?

No, I'm taking the supplements too. Just (as I'm sure you'll empathise) in a hurry to sort it.

Liver is actually quite nice, if you cook it properly. Great gravy.

I saw or maybe read about a tribe of nomadic reindeer herders in Siberia, who eat the raw, warm heart of a reindeer, plucked from its body immediately they kill it.

Black pudding is a bit disappointing in the iron stakes (I love it). Only 6.8mg/100g. Apparently thyme is grand- 123mg/100g. Mind, who's ever going to eat 100g of dried thyme??

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2405 on: 27 November, 2013, 01:14:28 pm »
Apparently thyme is grand- 123mg/100g. Mind, who's ever going to eat 100g of dried thyme??

A sheep? :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2406 on: 27 November, 2013, 02:46:35 pm »
Have a (chicken) liver recipe, classic Spanish stylee

One of the supermarket packets of chicken livers, 2 onions, pimenton (smoked paprika, sweet or hot according to preference). Sherry.

Fry the onions slowly, aiming to caramelise. split the lobes of chicken livers, don't cut any more. Estimate the time you need to cook the livers to your taste (5 mins for pink, 10 for well cooked) and lob them in about that much before the end of the onions being cooked, don't worry too much, it's not a poncey dish. Chuck on one or two teaspoons of pimenton, cook for a minute or two being careful not to scorch. Sloosh in some sherry - dry or sweet, my preference is dry but cream works too. and cook to a goop. Will only take about a minute.

Serve on their own as a tapas/racion or in a bed of lettuce with added toasted pine kernels or other nuts and a balsamic dressing to make it feel you're eating a meal.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2407 on: 27 November, 2013, 06:29:57 pm »

No, I'm taking the supplements too. Just (as I'm sure you'll empathise) in a hurry to sort it.

Liver is actually quite nice, if you cook it properly. Great gravy.

Black pudding is a bit disappointing in the iron stakes (I love it). Only 6.8mg/100g. Apparently thyme is grand- 123mg/100g. Mind, who's ever going to eat 100g of dried thyme??
Who needs to eat 100g of thyme? If your daily requirement is 14mg of iron, then 10g or so plus everything else you eat in the day is going to do it. Mind you, 10g a day every day would still get a bit much, I reckon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2408 on: 27 November, 2013, 07:09:57 pm »
Wild Boar stew on polenta. Mmmm

« Reply #2409 on: 27 November, 2013, 08:08:51 pm »
Wild Boar stew on polenta. Mmmm

Does that mean there will be fewer people posting here tomorrow?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2410 on: 30 November, 2013, 09:34:04 pm »
Frittata with baked cumin and garlic cauliflower.  I think I may have overdone the garlic though.  Even the cats are looking disgusted.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2411 on: 10 December, 2013, 09:26:12 pm »
Cullen skink: P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2412 on: 17 December, 2013, 07:02:01 pm »
Chilli bacon jam on toast. It's unusual. No idea where it came from I found the jar at the back of the cupboard :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2413 on: 30 December, 2013, 01:49:17 am »
Pizza from the Flatbread Pizza Co, which do proper ultra-thin wood fired pizza. Nom. As an added bonus, the place is decorated with chain rings and other cycling things. And climbing holds. Recommended.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2414 on: 30 December, 2013, 10:02:26 pm »
Since I'm on the run in towards unspeakable probing, I've checked out the diet sheet, and it says, basically, that I can only eat tedious, bland white food. :(

Fortunately, Butterfly is more creative than I, and I have just had two lovely pancakes with honey, and a slice of Red Leicester cheese as an hors d'oeuvre.

Tomorrow: Cheese omelette.  :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2415 on: 30 December, 2013, 10:08:43 pm »
Fish fingers on toast with tartare sauce..

So. There ARE some civilised people on here after all . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2416 on: 04 January, 2014, 06:58:29 pm »
I am currently preparing a spag. bol. although we are not having spaghetti, but pist as twats pasta twists.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2417 on: 04 January, 2014, 07:13:20 pm »
BIG prawns, in tomato sauce, chilli, coriander, lime & basmati rice avec a couple of salads.

« Reply #2418 on: 04 January, 2014, 08:09:12 pm »
Chips, fried egg and mushrooms followed by home made chocolate cake and cream

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2419 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:11:10 pm »
Kippers with peas, carrot, green beans* and noodles.

*OK it's a steam veg packet
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2420 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »
Pork cheeks :P

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2421 on: 16 January, 2014, 07:59:05 pm »
I'm anxiously hovering over a cooling pressure cooker waiting to see if my first attempt at pressure cooking lentils will let me make daal, or if I'll be getting the scrubbing brush out of the cupboard and pizza out of the freezer....

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2422 on: 18 January, 2014, 12:30:40 am »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2423 on: 22 January, 2014, 12:24:20 pm »
Not tonight, but last night we had a Spanish feast:

Pork loin steaks marinated in olive oil, pimento, garlic and fennel seeds
Savoy cabbage with bacon
Proper Patatas Bravas
Spicy butter beans

It was majorly yum!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2424 on: 22 January, 2014, 12:29:28 pm »
Vegetarian haggis.

For no other reason than to see if it really is as good as the real thing.