Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64981 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #225 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:10:28 pm »
https://twitter.com/SoVeryFinnish/status/1243517408242995201

From what I've read it looks like a condition that starts in Finland (or maybe Norway) and doesn't stop before Vladivostok.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #226 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:13:57 pm »
Is there a Finnish word for the same thing, but with crisps.

If there is, that is me now.

« Reply #227 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:17:05 pm »
...on which note, I have just successfully had crisps for breakfast without the kids noticing

https://tenor.com/OGTC.gif

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #228 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »
More time to make stuff that takes ages to cook.

I’m totally embracing the slow cooking philosophy right now - made lasagne from scratch yesterday, including the pasta.

Not only delicious but also very therapeutic. I’ve not used my pasta machine for a very long time and I’d forgotten how much fun it is - not to mention how much tastier than shop-bought.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #229 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:48:23 pm »

I’m totally embracing the slow cooking philosophy right now - made lasagne from scratch yesterday, including the pasta.

Not only delicious but also very therapeutic. I’ve not used my pasta machine for a very long time and I’d forgotten how much fun it is - not to mention how much tastier than shop-bought.
Impressed. The only other person I've ever heard of who made pasta from scratch was Mrs Cudzo's grandmother, whose background, I think it's safe to say, was different from yours!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #231 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:52:26 pm »

I usually wash mine under the tap!  It does it no harm, as its more than sufficiently water resistant.  When its time to replace it (luckily its still holding out after 3 years) I may have to remember that not all phones are water resistant...
Mrs B's phone started getting erratic & refusing to do data (email & maps, basically), so she replaced it. Only 8 years old. ;) She's keeping the old one for emergency backup, with the SIM from the new (prepay - they didn't do the one she wanted as a bare phone) one. Well, it still works for speech calls & SMS.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #232 on: 28 March, 2020, 04:35:08 pm »
Work has cancelled our annual reviews this year. Hurrah! :thumbsup:

« Reply #233 on: 28 March, 2020, 05:42:32 pm »

Impressed. The only other person I've ever heard of who made pasta from scratch was Mrs Cudzo's grandmother, whose background, I think it's safe to say, was different from yours!

While everyone else was panic buying pasta, Mr Phantasmagoriana bought...a pasta machine.

We've just been having a go with it and it's surprisingly fun (and the sample pasta we just ate tasted fine!). I now want to brave the shops to get beetroot (because purple pasta, and beetroot's tasty) and chocolate (sweet pasta is difficult to find in the shops!).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #234 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:12:22 pm »
Is it really that easy?
Guess the next problem is getting enough flour. I had a look on the internet and it seems to be like hen's teeth.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #235 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:29:20 pm »
Is it really that easy?

If I can do it...

Making the dough takes 30 seconds in the food processor. Using a pasta machine is pretty straightforward too. There are probably videos on YouTube.

I remember home pasta making being quite the foodie fashion some years ago (late 80s?), but then I guess it became too easy to buy fresh pasta in supermarkets.

We successfully got flour in our Tesco delivery today. :thumbsup:

« Reply #236 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:31:35 pm »
Flour is 100g per portion, + 1 egg. The egg may be the harder item to source.

And yes, it is easy, although you may have to get the consistency wrong once or twice.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #237 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:04:41 pm »
So far we've baked 3 really stunning white loaves, 2 fantastic wholemeal loaves and I've done a Fruit Cake.
There's bread flour around if you go to the little shops. It's hardly necessary as there's bread on the shelves but honestly even the expensive bread can't touch a freshly made home baked loaf. So far, anyway :)
I wish we had time to make it when not WFH

I've done two 12 mile rides with my 8yo. Islabikes are NOT a middle class affectation, they're AMAZING little bikes!

I got to the plant centre and bought some compost, scored some of last years seeds for nothing and scrounged some of the crappy pots that plants are delivered in before they're planted out into the posh ones for sale.  So, we'll be growing our own salad, herbs and some veg if all goes to plan.

And I finally managed to land an F-14 on the Theodore Roosevelt in https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/world/ , not the world's most vital skill now that the F-14 has been retired from the US Navy but I've got some idea of how amazing the people are who can do it for real, everytime - even at night!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #238 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:09:38 pm »
I'm mighty glad to have chickens right now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #239 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:17:33 pm »
Being housebound and fairly immobile, the entertainments on social media seem vastly improved...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #240 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:30:24 pm »
Byronius maximus juggling loo rolls whilst working out on rollers, for example...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #241 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:04:30 pm »

Pasta is very easy to make, with or without the machine. I used to do it regularly even from my student days. Becoming type 1 diabetic about 7 years ago put paid to tucking into a bowl of penne al amatriciana.  I still do the amatriciana bit, but with a few veg on the side.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #242 on: 29 March, 2020, 08:32:23 am »
I have a regular production line of sourdough loaves, baguettes and NOT cross buns.

We have always cooked mainly from ingredients so the lockdown is having little effect upon our usual culinary offerings.  Finding decent fruit and veg is a slightly bigger chore now though.

And yeast:  seems like everybody wants it even if they don't know what to do with it.

« Reply #243 on: 29 March, 2020, 09:19:44 am »
And yeast:  seems like everybody wants it even if they don't know what to do with it.

Judging by my hygiene recently, I reckon I could probably meet  the national need.

citoyen

« Reply #244 on: 29 March, 2020, 11:22:53 am »
Judging by my hygiene recently, I reckon I could probably meet  the national need.
Sterling work. I’ve just gone out into the street to give you a round of applause.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #245 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »
Yes, we should...  :D
https://twitter.com/molyneux_msj/status/1243883162586972160?s=19
Scotland should totally just sneak off while they are all self isolating.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #246 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:12:40 pm »
Is it really that easy?

If I can do it...

Making the dough takes 30 seconds in the food processor. Using a pasta machine is pretty straightforward too. There are probably videos on YouTube.

I remember home pasta making being quite the foodie fashion some years ago (late 80s?), but then I guess it became too easy to buy fresh pasta in supermarkets.

We successfully got flour in our Tesco delivery today. :thumbsup:

While looking on Kenwoodfoodrestore for some seals for the geriatric piña colada maker liquidiser I saw that I could get a pasta maker part for the Chef. Bit of an expensive experiment at £120 plus 35 quid for each pasta shape die, however.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #247 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:21:16 pm »
Did pork cheeks last night.
Would have fired up a sourdough by now had the last one not been a disaster and being not exactly awash with flour.

This morning I found that this little boy scout had already bought some new rye flour to replace the 4 year old stuff that didn't work, so I shall attempt a new starter this week. :)

Is there anything I can do with the 4 year old stuff rather than just chucking it out? (It's dark rye)

citoyen

« Reply #248 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:17:51 pm »
While looking on Kenwoodfoodrestore for some seals for the geriatric piña colada maker liquidiser I saw that I could get a pasta maker part for the Chef. Bit of an expensive experiment at £120 plus 35 quid for each pasta shape die, however.

Yeah, I don’t want to make my own macaroni that badly.

I have a manual roller, which is fine for lasagne, tagliatelle and fettuccine. And ravioli.

Don’t know how much rollers cost these days but probably a lot less than £120.

Mmmm, piña colada....

« Reply #249 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:50:37 pm »
I don't need to look at a pikey white van out of my front window every night because its driver has stopped bringing it home.
Arsebuckets.  It's back.  He has sort of cleaned it though.

Probably to stop people writing 'no toilet paper left in this van overnight' in the dirt.

My favourite has always been "TEST DIRT - DO NOT REMOVE".

Wrote that on a BT van when I was doing work experience there back in, er, 1992. Used to check up on it every time we parked at the nearby car park (Lion Yard, Cambridge) that overlooked the depot and it was the only one of the fleet that didn't get washed for 6 months.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."