Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 124161 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #375 on: 08 July, 2020, 05:14:38 pm »
Thank you for the recommendations for a Japanese pull saw.  I was given one for Fathers day.  Truly magnificent.  The plants in the garden are now suddenly smaller, neater and a lot of wood has gone into the garden waste bin.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #376 on: 08 July, 2020, 07:32:17 pm »
I fabricated some "blast gates" for my workshop (wood) dust extraction system today - an idea from YouTube that I think I've enhanced.  They seem effective  :thumbsup:

Rob

« Reply #377 on: 10 July, 2020, 03:47:23 pm »
Just got these stealth precision side cutters:

Super Knips!

Not sure why Knipex colour all the ESD cutters grey.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #378 on: 10 July, 2020, 08:55:19 pm »
I have the much less stealthy non-ESD version.  They're lovely.

« Reply #379 on: 10 July, 2020, 09:07:43 pm »
I have the much less stealthy non-ESD version.  They're lovely.

Aren't they. I'm saving them for best for components on PCBs I ordered some Italian Piergiacomi which supposed to be really good but are 1/4 the price for general work. I'm upgrading my no brand cutters which are blunt now anyway.

« Reply #380 on: 11 July, 2020, 07:57:07 am »
Looking around for a bench grinder (which I have been looking at for years, and still not acquired one, so may well still not, nowt wrong with looking though, any recommendations?) I discover something curious.

Branding is important. Manufacturers that don't want to "pollute" their main brand create a secondary brand for cheap stuff. Now, it appears we are seeing this taken to another level. Those German sounding brands made of chinesium? Scheppach? Einhell? Well..... meet Ozito

robgul

« Reply #381 on: 11 July, 2020, 08:30:17 am »
Looking around for a bench grinder (which I have been looking at for years, and still not acquired one, so may well still not, nowt wrong with looking though, any recommendations?) I discover something curious.

Branding is important. Manufacturers that don't want to "pollute" their main brand create a secondary brand for cheap stuff. Now, it appears we are seeing this taken to another level. Those German sounding brands made of chinesium? Scheppach? Einhell? Well..... meet Ozito

I've got a couple of cheapie bench grinders (a Clarke/Machine Mart with grinding stones and an unbranded one with a brass brush mop on one side and cloth mop on the other) - OK for DIY stuff but if you really push on the grinding wheels you can stop the motor!

Rob

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #382 on: 13 July, 2020, 08:00:02 am »
^^ What he said.

Mine's a 150W job, so didn't expect it to be very powerful.  I use it for polishing bits of motorbike,or cleaning up rusty metal with ScotchBrite wheels, and it's good at that. Not used the grinder much but it's fine for sharpening things, but I'd not expect it to grind the corners off 1/2" steel plate.

« Reply #383 on: 14 July, 2020, 07:42:20 pm »
Those German sounding brands made of chinesium? Scheppach? Einhell? Well..... meet Ozito

price looks like einhell of a deal

robgul

« Reply #384 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:25:36 pm »
My brother has a 3d printer and now has the spec for making me saome adaptors for the dust extraction ports on various woodworking machines - they should help me bid farewell to some of the cobbled together fittings and the odd length of duct tape.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #385 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:27:03 pm »
I now have a fork threading die, bought from a chap who used it once.  He used it on a chrome fork so I doubt it's at its best, but it will be fine for cleaning threads.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #386 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:34:19 pm »

Scheppach is german, I thought.

robgul

« Reply #387 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:40:14 pm »

I believe that the company is German but products (some/all?) are made in China.  I have an Aldi branded planer/thicknesser that has Sheppach in the manual as the tech support and warranty source but the machine is labelled as made in China.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #388 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:52:53 pm »

I believe that the company is German but products (some/all?) are made in China.  I have an Aldi branded planer/thicknesser that has Sheppach in the manual as the tech support and warranty source but the machine is labelled as made in China.

Have a sliding mitre saw that I bought second hand and can't fault it.

« Reply #389 on: 14 July, 2020, 10:06:09 pm »
I have a Scheppach wet tile cutter, I can't fault the value and used carefully it is capable of accurate work. Unlike me  ;D (but it is chinese)

« Reply #390 on: 14 July, 2020, 11:33:31 pm »
Re bench grinders. I have this cheap 200mm Screwfix one that coast about £40

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb521grb-200mm-electric-bench-grinder-240v/85634

400W so its OK but it needs bolting to a piece of wood and then clamping to a bench or it will walk all over the place but that might be the wire wheel on it being unbalanced. I also run a cloth mop for polishing. The LED light attached to it is pointless though its so dim.

eBay and Gumtree etc are your friends though if you want a better one. I picked up a Blue Point (Snap On) one for £30 and its actually made by Baldor if I remember rightly (its hiding in a dark corner of the garage waiting for new wheels). Good ones come up but you have to be patient. Its not like there is much to go wrong with these things and with good old ones you can take them apart and replace the bearings if you need to.

« Reply #391 on: 15 July, 2020, 07:18:21 am »
It's ok, I laid down and fanned myself for a while and the feeling passed. Actually did the job with a Dremel, not as good but effective enough. My main issue is space, and the lack of it (a certain video refers....)

« Reply #392 on: 15 July, 2020, 09:15:25 am »

My Bosch circular saw is Chinese made. As was the McAllister one before it. Chalk and cheese though. Wish I'd paid for Bosch much sooner.
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

« Reply #393 on: 15 July, 2020, 02:29:38 pm »
Collected an "as new" s/h dovetail jig (for woodworking router) today at a snip, and even better was that it was on a journey to collect some rather special and expensive plywood that I had CNC cut for a table I'm making.

« Reply #394 on: 23 July, 2020, 12:27:19 pm »
Different sort of tools, the start of a home electronics lab. I think I am sorted for power supplies for quite a while now.

Elektro-Automatik PS 3016-20B Bench Power Supply 0-16V 0-20A

This one is incredibly heavy and has a fan.

Hameg / Rohde & Schwarz HM7042-3 Bench Power Supply 2x0-32V/2A - 1x2.7-5.5V/5A

This one is silent. Probably get used the most.

There is a Teutonic theme going on here I think.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #395 on: 23 July, 2020, 12:40:17 pm »
I have a Rapid Electronics branded HY3005D2 (not sure who actually made them), which I scored for not-very-much on eBay when the one I'd molished around a PC ATX power supply as a PSO turned out to be inadequate for some project that required 48V.  It's enormous, as you'd expect for the power rating, but no fan to make noise.

I've improved it somewhat by adding switches to disconnect the outputs (saves plugging and unplugging leads) and - more critically - replaced the pots with 10-turn ones to avoid accidental release of magic smoke while knob-twiddling.  0-30V in a single turn didn't leave much room for overshoot.

« Reply #396 on: 23 July, 2020, 12:57:04 pm »
Both of mine are from eBay. The Hameg was spendy !

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #397 on: 23 July, 2020, 07:06:46 pm »
Bet mines louderer[1]  ;D  It's 3U 19" rack size and depth.  0[2]-60V and 125-50A.  Saved it from a skip years ago and easily fixed it but since then it's sat unused in far from ideal storage conditions.  When we moved house the movers managed to break the output disconnect switch and one of the corner handles >:(   Last week I needed to move it and for a larf plugged it in as I dragged it past a socket.  And popped the house MCB.  A project for the winter.

[1]But not at the moment.
2I have my doubts it goes all the way down to zero but can't remember.  The front panel gives no clues.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #398 on: 23 July, 2020, 08:26:36 pm »
Bet you can make some really big sparks with that.  Well, not at the moment.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #399 on: 23 July, 2020, 10:20:07 pm »
Want a power supply, as I feel it will be useful ;)