Author Topic: Personal Verbal Idiosyncrasies  (Read 1070 times)

Personal Verbal Idiosyncrasies
« on: 25 October, 2019, 02:04:13 pm »
Following a discussion with a couple of colleagues we have identified some of these. 

Mine are:
'Nuh, no' = 'On the contrary...' or 'You've got that wrong... [and here's why...]'
and
'yeah yeah' = 'I get it now, or, I knew that before, go away without explaining further, let's not waste any more of our time'

I didn't know I did this until my colleague told me that his child had said 'why do you keep saying no no, Daddy?' and he traced it back to me. And now I notice I do it frequently.  I don't know where I picked it up from. I'll have to monitor other members of my family.

Their's were
- 'There we are then' = 'I disagree completely', 'we're never going to agree', and, if it's a phone conversation, 'I'm going to put the phone down now'. This might be a more general S Wales thing.

and
- [finishing every phone conversation] 'Okey dokey'. Like me, he wasn't aware he did it. Nor is his speech in any other way Flanderish.

What's yours?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Personal Verbal Idiosyncrasies
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2019, 03:08:16 pm »
All sorts of minor grammatical quirks due to living with a deaf person for the best part of two decades and not being a complete arsehole.  Off the top of my head:

"ACK" (in the TCP/IP sense) instead of 'yes' or 'okay', because the hard consonant is easier for barakta to hear.  Sometimes I'll use "yes yes" as the opposite of "no" when forced to communicate by voice when the signal-to-noise ratio is poor (eg. on a telephone, or between front and back seats of a car), though dropping into sign language is more usual.

"PING?" (in the ICMP sense) as a means of getting attention[1] or for working out where someone is[2].  Over the years this has extended to use as a request for acknowledgement at the end of a possibly unheard sentence, as in "Put the kettle on. ...PING?"

"Stop.  Don't do that because..." where hearing people would jump straight in with the polite waffle, because by the time barakta has decoded the speech, she'll inevitably have done whatever it is I'm asking her not to do.  Sometimes a non-verbal interruption isn't warranted, but an imperative preamble is.

General explicit negotiation and acknowledgement of TEH PLAN before commencing a joint task, because as a general rule barakta can hear or she can do.  I'm sure this comes across to hearing people as rude/patronising/bickering, where it's a proven strategy to reduce frustration and general FAIL.

Similarly, a tendency establish context early and often, and occasional lapses into object-subject-verb word order for emphasis.

General use of BSLish embellishments and feedback to ostensibly English conversations.  Hand-nodding, cheek-puffing and such.

Occasional vowel-sound inconsistencies.  I've pretty much abandoned my childhood RP-with-Norn-Iron-corruptions vowels in the interests of intelligibility and reduced piss-taking, but occasionally I forget how to say words.

[1] I know technically this should be SYN, but that's less audible.
[2] Appropriate responses might be "in the bedroom" "coming" or "right behind you", not the "I'm in here" that relies on stereo hearing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2019, 03:25:10 pm »
"ACK" (in the TCP/IP sense)
"PING?" (in the ICMP sense)
Perhaps not verbal, but your greatest linguistic idiosyncrasy must be using terminology from a specific professional background in other contexts where it might or might not be familiar.

Mine? I don't know. Nothing comes to mind but that's probably because I'm unaware of whatever it is.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2019, 03:45:22 pm »
Perhaps not verbal, but your greatest linguistic idiosyncrasy must be using terminology from a specific professional background in other contexts where it might or might not be familiar.

Yes, I have a terrible blind spot for the internet becoming mainstream, like I'm mentally stuck in 1996 when you could reasonably assume that even if people hadn't been through the rite of passage of hand-crafting a working network configuration themselves, they'd have picked up enough networking/computing terminology by osmosis to understand its widespread use as metaphors.  It really doesn't help that a good proportion of the people I communicate with on the internet on a day-to-day basis are in the same boat.

Sign of middle age, I reckon.  Like using punctuation and capital letters, rather than Unicode hieroglyphics.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2019, 04:22:34 pm »

Yes, I have a terrible blind spot for the internet becoming mainstream, like I'm mentally stuck in 1996 when you could reasonably assume that even if people hadn't been through the rite of passage of hand-crafting a working network configuration themselves, they'd have picked up enough networking/computing terminology by osmosis to understand its widespread use as metaphors.  It really doesn't help that a good proportion of the people I communicate with on the internet on a day-to-day basis are in the same boat.

Sign of middle age, I reckon.  Like using punctuation and capital letters, rather than Unicode hieroglyphics.

I used to have colleagues with whom the start of more or less any interaction was "Pling Boot?" from the old BBC Micro / Archimedes !Boot days. Verbal tics? I have hundreds. Too many to catalogue.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…