Author Topic: AA/AAA battery charger  (Read 26454 times)

Re: AA/AAA battery charger
« Reply #50 on: 06 October, 2009, 10:15:05 pm »
Dead battery.   I had one last week.   It died totally unexpectedly.

« Reply #51 on: 06 October, 2009, 11:20:29 pm »
Dead battery.

+1. I'm in a stage of replacing many of mine. They only last so long (although a year sounds quite short unless you have been using them very often).

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #52 on: 07 October, 2009, 12:46:39 am »
I've revitalised a couple by putting them in a less intelligent fast charge and blasting some charge in whether it wants it or not (which gets the BL to at least recognise them), - then using the BL700 in its charge/discharge mode.

« Reply #53 on: 07 October, 2009, 11:38:33 am »
Dead battery.

+1. I'm in a stage of replacing many of mine. They only last so long (although a year sounds quite short unless you have been using them very often).
Yeah. I have two deadish (greatly reduced capacity) AAs, each from a different set of 4. Ah well, the GPS takes 3.

The blast with stupid charger then charge/discharge cycle seems to do a partial recovery, but not always. Eventually they're irrecoverable.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 07 October, 2009, 12:04:33 pm »
I think 1/4 of my AA Hybrids* died this weekend, hardly used, maybe 6 montsh old. Dinotte went into energy-save mode, took batteries upto charger; 0V across one, other 3 about as expected.

Bad ride for batteries - on the first night leg 1 of my 4xAA holder thingys burst. :(

Some strategy rethinks required here ...

*as recommended on this very forum, you gits!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris N

« Reply #55 on: 07 October, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »

Like what: carry spares?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 07 October, 2009, 12:12:56 pm »
I always carry spares.  On my slightly extended homeward ride last night, I needed to replace 2xAAAs in my Smart Bspoke, and 4xAAs in my Hope Vision 1.  No problem.  All charged up when I got back home & new spares put inside the high-tech insulating device (one of Butterfly's handkerchiefs ;D ) before setting off this morning :)
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 07 October, 2009, 12:42:04 pm »

Like what: carry spares?

:-)

The hybrids were in the spare holder thingy. And the AAs in the broken holder ended up in Ross' GPS, when he found 4 of his spares were too empty.

I meant carrying stuff that almost definitely won't fail + spares,
 rather than stuff that may well fail + spares!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #58 on: 07 October, 2009, 01:19:38 pm »
Last winter I used Energiser hybros in my fenix and they were fine. could get about 2.5hrs  of full light out of them.

Dark evenings kicking in, just starting to use lights to ride home. Hmm, this light is rubbish on the dark lanes near home, I could swear it was fine last winter.

I think the damn batteries are dead.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #59 on: 07 October, 2009, 07:13:44 pm »
If anyone's interested, I have just brought bunch of Uniross 1hr Auto Stop Intelligent Fast Chargers that work with AA and AAA, and come with 4x 2700mah batteries and both a mains and car charger for £16. If anyone wants any let me know. Seems to work quite nicely.

Tis this one Battery Logic UK - Uniross One Hour battery charger - U0142250
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #60 on: 13 October, 2009, 09:45:43 pm »
I think the BL700 sometimes is too sensitive about "dead" batteries. I've had a few which have left the word "null" on the display but when I've put them in a cheap, hard-hitting charger, they have revived.

It seems to happen if a device is allowed to run longer on empty batteries than it perhaps should: if a couple of batteries still have enough charge to get a little light from the Cateye, but the other two are drained, I think the two drained ones will sometimes appear to be dead in the BL700.
Neither I, nor my batteries, have any experience of Ann Summers' products.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #61 on: 13 October, 2009, 09:49:48 pm »
I always discharge my batteries in the BL700 before charging.   It's only older batteries that I have which have been charged in other chargers that have 'null'ed in the BL700.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #62 on: 13 October, 2009, 09:51:42 pm »
I discharge too. But I'm certain that it's over-draining the battery which causes the "null" to appear on the BL700's display.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #63 on: 22 October, 2009, 02:19:19 am »
Solar charger  - someone asked earlier. Not sure if sold in UK - but in SE Asia for about $13 GP brand package a solar trickle charger (150ma) with 2 Recyco  AAA 900 ma batteries and adaptor for AA sizes. These batteries are the type that are supposed to hold charge for a year

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #64 on: 22 October, 2009, 08:23:15 am »
Another  :thumbsup: for Battery Logic here. I missed this thread completely but I still found myself steered to Battery Logic and Uniross hybrid batteries having done some research. I took Battery Logic at their word and phoned them to talk about batteries. The guy at the other end sounded genuinely happy to explain in great detail, the pros and cons of different battery types and capacities.

Just a very minor word of warning, and it's probably the device rather than the batteries: I put the new Uniross AAA batteries in my travel shaver and it didn't work. I suspected the cheap shaver but then found other batteries worked in it. It turned out that the way in which the outer sleeve wraps around the base of the battery prevented contact with the negative terminals in the shaver.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #65 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »
OK....on recommendation from here I bought a pannier full of Lidl NiMH rechargeables (Tronic). They are gash. Only used them a couple of times and they're barely even good enough to keep in the tv remote for a few weeks!

So having read this thread I'm going to try buying the smart charger and some hybrid batteries.

Can anyone advise on the comparative performance of the Uniross Hybrio vs the 7dayshop 'good to go', given the price difference is £8 vs £4?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #66 on: 20 January, 2010, 10:06:38 pm »
I seriously recommend the Technoline BL-700.  It will do wonders for your current batteries.

I use Fujicell branded NiMH batteries, 2800mAh AA and 1100mAh AAA rated cells.   I'm very happy with them.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #67 on: 16 June, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »
Nice I now got gadgets that needs AA and AAA batteries, I have been looking at this thread. Therefore I will be getting the BL-700 and some 2100mAh batteries.

Though I wonder if any one had a go at Simon's Bike mounted USB Charger and had success with charging their 2100mAh ? As I would love to be able to do that doing the day while touring.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #68 on: 18 June, 2010, 08:27:11 am »
IIRC Kim has built a gadget. Whether it's Simon's design or not, I've no idea.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

The Mechanic

« Reply #69 on: 21 June, 2010, 08:48:01 am »
Those guys at battery logic are quick.  I ordered a BL-700 on Thursday afternoon and it arrived Friday morning.  That is good.  I have only used it to refresh the batteries in my house cordless phones at the mo but it seems to have worked OK.  I got four 2100 hybrids with it so will test them out in my garmin on when the current lithiums run out.   

« Reply #70 on: 04 July, 2010, 12:45:24 am »
Those guys at battery logic are quick.  I ordered a BL-700 on Thursday afternoon and it arrived Friday morning.  That is good.  I have only used it to refresh the batteries in my house cordless phones at the mo but it seems to have worked OK.  I got four 2100 hybrids with it so will test them out in my garmin on when the current lithiums run out.   
Please let us know how you get on. Hybrios in my Garmin are appalling. I am thinking about trying to get a refund on Battery Logics 28 Day policy, I am very  dissappointed with AA Hybrios

« Reply #71 on: 10 November, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »
I see that Battery Logic are now selling chargers similar to the BL-700, but which have higher charging currents.

The BC-1000 looks virtually identical to the BL-700, but can charge at up to 1A with all four batteries, and if you're happy to only charge two, at up to 1.8A.

Now, I suspect these options are probably only a good idea when you're in a rush, and can't wait, but I've just ordered one of these, and some more batteries, since I keep on finding that one charger isn't adequate, when inevitably I find myself needing a mass of batteries charged up now!

I do need to find one of my old cheap and cheerful chargers to give one battery, which was utterly discharged, enough omph that the BL-700 will "see" it, and allow me to use the Refresh system to see if I can get it back into use (the BL-700 won't charge a battery whose output voltage is below 0.9V, because it doesn't realise it's there!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #72 on: 10 November, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »
For those without another charger.......

Sometimes when four cells are placed in the BL-700 and it fails to see one, it starts to see it some time later if you leave them all in with the other three charging.  I know it's supposed to have an independent circuit for each cell, but some effect seems to be coming from the other cells sometimes.  Maybe it's just the heat?

Before that though, remove and reinsert the "dead" cell a few times.  Just that does the trick sometimes.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #73 on: 10 November, 2012, 09:49:38 pm »
If the battery is just below the threshold at which the BL700 will see it, the heat from the other batteries may be enough to make that battery produce a little more voltage, or possibly the heating up of the BL700's circuitry may also cause the sensitivity of that part of the electronics to just drift into a regime where it'll be happy.  I suspect this will only work for a battery which is only just missing being "seen", if it's been very heavily discharged, which the one I'm trying to sort out has been, then a more heavy handed approach probably has to be used.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #74 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:20:39 pm »
As Peter Kay said when referring to a tv remote that's stopped working - "take 'em out and give 'em a rub!"