Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 281861 times)

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #250 on: 15 August, 2012, 01:20:15 pm »
I’m planning to ride my first 300k as a DIY from York on 15th September, I have a few route ideas but I’m open to suggestions if anyone is interested in joining me? It will be on the slow side (11-13 hours for the 200’s I’ve done so far) and not too lumpy.

The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #251 on: 15 August, 2012, 09:58:04 pm »
I’m planning to ride my first 300k as a DIY from York on 15th September, I have a few route ideas but I’m open to suggestions if anyone is interested in joining me? It will be on the slow side (11-13 hours for the 200’s I’ve done so far) and not too lumpy.

I'd have been very interested in joining you but (un) fortunately ill be sunbathing in Greece

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #252 on: 17 August, 2012, 07:23:52 pm »
Bryan Chapman (as a perm) on the 26/27th Aug - anyone else interested?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #253 on: 22 August, 2012, 02:44:36 pm »

Swiss Hat and I have just rearranged our C10A plans for the weekend due to the baby weather forecast (wet and windy all 3 days of the bank holiday in Wales) - not usually one to be deterred by a forecast but fortune favours the brave not the suicidally insane.   :(
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #254 on: 23 August, 2012, 11:05:50 am »

Swiss Hat and I have just rearranged our C10A plans for the weekend due to the baby weather forecast (wet and windy all 3 days of the bank holiday in Wales) - not usually one to be deterred by a forecast but fortune favours the brave not the suicidally insane.   :(

It's not a BCM if it's not wet  ;D

Now with added Ascent of Rum DoodleFfordd Pen Llech ;)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #255 on: 27 August, 2012, 09:03:10 pm »
How was it Iddu?  Did pretty much every hill on O/S map 197 as consolation for not doing the 10A today - epic riding - 22 hills of more than 50m ascent in the middle 155km of 190km including at least 3 sections of 20%+  Beat the rain by one minute  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #256 on: 27 August, 2012, 09:06:26 pm »
Thinking about Els 400 (starting at Chichester or Selsey) on Friday 28 September as last ditch attempt for SR25.  Aim to travel fast and light with 4am start from Selsey and finish for a kebab at Box Rocks and a few beers late in the evening.  Accomodation could be provided in fixed caravan at Selsey on Thursday and Friday nights.  Anyone interested.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #257 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:40:25 am »
How was it Iddu? 

It's not a BCM if it's not wet  ;D

Now with added Ascent of Rum DoodleFfordd Pen Llech ;)

I feel...anointed.  It saved the best 'til last, when it bloody well HOONED it down, from Usk to Chepstow - we're talking surfable streams here ;D ;D ;D

Headwind. TL 90-degrees. Headwind. TL 90-degrees. Headwind ??? Repeat for 250Km. Weather - Just FRO and do one, 'kay.

Not content with an overdistance event, I decide to find an extra 20Km as well :facepalm:

Rum DoodleFfordd Pen Lllech was stupid  ;)  Managed about 15 metres at the bottom, before lifting the front (on a 20x28) despite honking at the time - whoops! Must take the Trice & super-granny someday, but I suspect I'll just spin the back out...

Other than that, very benign. If you're doing it solo/small group, recommend Hyb Bunkhouse in Dolgellau :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #258 on: 01 September, 2012, 11:23:37 am »
Thinking about Els 400 (starting at Chichester or Selsey) on Friday 28 September as last ditch attempt for SR25.  Aim to travel fast and light with 4am start from Selsey and finish for a kebab at Box Rocks and a few beers late in the evening.  Accomodation could be provided in fixed caravan at Selsey on Thursday and Friday nights.  Anyone interested.

Now replanned for Saturday 16 September

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #259 on: 17 September, 2012, 11:24:11 pm »
El's 400 successfully completed for SR25 (whatever that turns out to be).  Surprisingly excellent ride.  Started from Selsey 4.15am  to get to start point (Chichester) 4.47am.  Excellent early dawn section over Old Winchester Hill.  Deer sticking their heads out of yet-to-be harvested field on the way up to Beacon Hill.  Sutton Scotney at 7.10am for much needed cup of tea.  Usual drag up the gentle side of Hackpen Hill (I much prefer doing this the steep way and then having a longer descent) and then some new roads across to Leigh Delamere Services (11am) for a late breakfast.  Tailwind helped me back to Sutton Scotney (via a different route with a section in common with the Midhurst-Hay 600) for another big feed at 2.30pm.  Got caught up in Goodwood Revival traffic around Midhurst (overtaken by among other things a WWII ambulance, several generations of Jeeps, a James Bond Aston Martin, a DB9, a Shelby Cobra, a couple of E-Types and other things far too weird and wonderful to recognise).  Arrived Midhurst about 5pm.  More traffic helped me to keep the pace up to Pease Pottage (long drag after Horsham) at 7pm.  Struggled on the night-time section to Storrington and delved into the last of the bonk rations to get up the long drag after Houghton.  Passed the George at Eartham with great regret (at least I did get to use this on a 100k perm earlier in the year with CET junior) and Arrivee at Chichester 10.21pm.  Back to Selsey to get a kebab from Box Rocks before it closed and then kip in the caravan before work the next day (did doze off at one point)

Would recommend this as a 400 perm.  There are no horrible hills, the controls all work, excellent route sheet, with notes on riders who had put a gpx together and control points that work pretty much 24 hours.  Probably wouldn't do it in close proximity to the Hailsham 400 or Midhurst-Hay 600 calendar routes as it shares some sections, but is a good advert for those rides.  Only thing missing was an el Supremo feed.  He was only a mile off the route at Upperton on one of his calendar events but he would have been packed up and gone by the time I got there  :(

Bairn Again

« Reply #260 on: 02 October, 2012, 10:48:02 am »
MULL IN AUTUMN

I’m planning to ride the Port Navigation 200k permanent event on Saturday 20th October. 

I'm aiming to start from the Corran Ferry car park around 7.30am - heading first for Kinlochleven then Oban with a view to the 11.45 ferry to Craignure (it’s 86k without much climbing). 

Thereafter my plan is to catch either the 15.40 or 16.25 ferry from Fishnish.  I’m going to check in advance to establish if Liz’s café at Lochaline is going to be open or not. 

That leaves the 50k or so to Ardgour before dark and the final ferry journey.  The Corran Ferry is at XX.00 and XX.30 (though the Ardgour Inn is a splendid waiting room especially when all the riding has been completed).  From memory, last time I rode the event on this schedule I just scraped onto the 18.30. 

Both the ferries (and my participation) are weather dependent, so subject to confirmation in the day or two beforehand.
  Fingers crossed for a nice autumn day.     

jimbhoy

« Reply #261 on: 02 October, 2012, 11:23:34 am »
MULL IN AUTUMN

I’m planning to ride the Port Navigation 200k permanent event on Saturday 20th October. 

I'm aiming to start from the Corran Ferry car park around 7.30am - heading first for Kinlochleven then Oban with a view to the 11.45 ferry to Craignure (it’s 86k without much climbing). 

Thereafter my plan is to catch either the 15.40 or 16.25 ferry from Fishnish.  I’m going to check in advance to establish if Liz’s café at Lochaline is going to be open or not. 

That leaves the 50k or so to Ardgour before dark and the final ferry journey.  The Corran Ferry is at XX.00 and XX.30 (though the Ardgour Inn is a splendid waiting room especially when all the riding has been completed).  From memory, last time I rode the event on this schedule I just scraped onto the 18.30. 

Both the ferries (and my participation) are weather dependent, so subject to confirmation in the day or two beforehand.
  Fingers crossed for a nice autumn day.   

Sounds nice, and somewhere that i really fancy riding as i missed the last calendar event here.

« Reply #262 on: 02 October, 2012, 08:47:15 pm »
MULL IN AUTUMN

I'm sorely tempted, with all the midges and tourists gone we'd practically have Mull to ourselves. I'll decide and let you know soon.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Hillbilly

« Reply #263 on: 02 October, 2012, 09:38:21 pm »
Weather permitting, I plan to do a diy by gps on Sunday 14 Oct.  Starting in Langdon Beck (Alston if YHA shut) in the pennines and taking the shortest route with intermediate controls in Hexham, Allenheads and Garragill.  I'm not local to the area but past rides suggest a hilly 100 with around 2500m of climb.  Would be delighted to have some company who is prepared for a longish day. Pm me if it tickles your pickle.

« Reply #264 on: 02 October, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »
MULL IN AUTUMN

I'm sorely tempted, with all the midges and tourists gone we'd practically have Mull to ourselves. I'll decide and let you know soon.

Same day as Border New Season Brevet,  would be interested in doing this another date
@CorbieLinnRider

Bairn Again

« Reply #265 on: 02 October, 2012, 10:14:57 pm »
MULL IN AUTUMN

Same day as Border New Season Brevet,  would be interested in doing this another date

I hadn't realised that it clashed with a calendar event, which I would normally seek to avoid (too much respect for other organisers, especially Lucy).  However this is the only date that in the next few months that I will already be visiting Lochaber so will stick to my plan A to ride this on the 20th Oct. 

Feel free to ride on another day, but IIRC under the Calmac winter timetable (after 20th Oct) it gets a bit trickier as the timetable presents fewer options. 

btw - Jean has been in touch to confirm that the cafe will be open at Lochaline on 20th Oct.   :thumbsup: 

Bairn Again

« Reply #266 on: 17 October, 2012, 09:54:46 pm »
MULL IN AUTUMN

I hadn't realised that it clashed with a calendar event, which I would normally seek to avoid (too much respect for other organisers, especially Lucy).  However this is the only date that in the next few months that I will already be visiting Lochaber so will stick to my plan A to ride this on the 20th Oct. 

Feel free to ride on another day, but IIRC under the Calmac winter timetable (after 20th Oct) it gets a bit trickier as the timetable presents fewer options. 

btw - Jean has been in touch to confirm that the cafe will be open at Lochaline on 20th Oct.   :thumbsup: 

I'm still on for this on Saturday.  Its looking cool n crisp.  Cant wait to see the autumn colours on Mull. 

« Reply #267 on: 17 October, 2012, 10:56:46 pm »

I'm still on for this on Saturday.  Its looking cool n crisp.  Cant wait to see the autumn colours on Mull.

I'm not going to make this now so have a grand time and give Cheery Charlie in the Fishnish Pishdish my regards.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Bairn Again

« Reply #268 on: 20 October, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »
another triumph for the weather forecasters

no rain forecast..................9 hrs of rain today. 

and most of the "non rain" bit was while i was on ferries.

hey ho.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #269 on: 24 October, 2012, 10:19:13 pm »
Wantage Winter Warmup

Ah - saves me asking for OK on a DIY perm; that's Sunday sorted then.

Home start @ ~8am...Anyone else?

« Reply #270 on: 02 November, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »
DIY by GPS. 200 From Bristol, Saturday 17th November. Here's the route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1858516

Myself and GrahamG from this forum are doing this. Any company is most welcome. Best to mention, we will be riding fixed so if you are on gears and particularly nippy you might find it slow going, on the other hand we will be aiming to push on round as quickly as possible and keep breaks short. Cheers  :thumbsup:

« Reply #271 on: 03 November, 2012, 02:26:51 pm »
Route improvement avoiding some rough lanes between Hay-on-Wye and Brecon in favour of easier going on the main road: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1860177

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #272 on: 09 November, 2012, 10:07:09 am »
I'm definitely going to just meet you at the bridge for this - not confident of doing 200km fixed without major hurt....
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #273 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:09:37 am »
I know it is very short notice, but I am aiming to do an AAA 100k tomorrow, Sunday 10 (whoops 11th) Nov, around the Lake District, if anyone fancies it.  Normally start in Backbarrow, but don't mind starting at Troutbeck Bridge (both about 20mins from M6 J36).  Anticlockwise http://goo.gl/maps/1XLjV but in reality avoids main road out of Kendal by going through Burneside.  Pretty steep, but I go slow.  I also did this 1/1/12 and may well repeat for 1/1/13.  PM if up for it.

« Reply #274 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:18:22 am »
Paul, that sounds really good.  I'm going to be doing Eureka, from Cheadle on Sunday, though.  Incidentally, Sunday is the 11th in the rest of Britain.  Have a good ride!

Peter