Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 283682 times)

Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #400 on: 24 March, 2015, 11:54:34 am »
I'm planning to trial a new 400k on April 11th.
Hmm.. good in parts, but a lot of roads I would avoid at most times. Won't be joining you.

Thanks for the support. Just writing out a routesheet and already taking out some of the less enjoyable roads. As I said originally, this is just the shortest possible route between control points. Other than the section between Barnard Castle and Saltburn on Sea, any particular roads you think need to be circumvented?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #401 on: 24 March, 2015, 03:03:55 pm »
The roads through Boro and on to Darlo are pretty hellish.  Avoid the A66 like the plague.  For a DIY the best I can do is this, which keeps you off the crazy roads while 'only' adding 11 km.  The rest of it looks fine to me.

« Reply #402 on: 24 March, 2015, 07:17:53 pm »
Thanks,

I plotted out the same route from Barnard Castle to Yarm and then followed the straight road up through Marton to Eston. My reasoning being it should be fairly quiet in the small hours when I expect to be passing through there.

I like the look of yours and I think I'd probably use that instead. Also going to tweak that entry into Ripon as well as that's at the risk of being pretty busy even though it's short.

If I manage to get it into the calendar then I'll probably look at moving the west coast up to Hest Bank.

« Reply #403 on: 24 March, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »
You might like to get rid of the ride through Morecambe/Lancaster by replacing the distance with a visit to Sedbergh after controlling short of Lancs itself - we use the filling station at Lansil.  This is also an easier way to get to Hawes, though not as picturesque as the way over Newby Head.  The section between Hawes and BC is great but strenuous.

« Reply #404 on: 24 March, 2015, 10:13:47 pm »
The roads through Boro and on to Darlo are pretty hellish.  Avoid the A66 like the plague.  For a DIY the best I can do is this, which keeps you off the crazy roads while 'only' adding 11 km.  The rest of it looks fine to me.

This would be my version of the Barnie-Saltburn bit

Completely avoids the A66 and the Trunk Road, and avoids the really horrific bit of the A174 (the Parkway). Those are the bits you do not want to ride. There's a cycle path along the A174 from Eston (look for the underpass just before you join the A174), which is OK. Ladgate Lane's a bit shite, and I really dislike Leven Bank, but it gets the job done.

I'd (personally) avoid the A169 out of Whitby except at night or early in the morning, it's full of daytrippers gawping at the abbey and the Hole, but I appreciate you probably won;t want to ride the alternatives...

Oh, you can shortcut the Hawes-Barnie bit by going via Tan Hill and the track down Sleightholme Moor to Bowes, which is ace.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #405 on: 24 March, 2015, 11:13:29 pm »
Deano's right.  I'd think twice about using some of those roads for a prospective calendar ride in the day, but at night they're what you want.  In the daytime, the lanes south of there are quite pleasant so I'd consider routing further south (e.g. through Dalton), adding in an info and lopping off some km elsewhere.

« Reply #406 on: 25 March, 2015, 09:35:41 am »
Sedburgh kind of defeats the aim to do a coast to coast to coast in a 400.

I think I like Pharti's M'boro avoidance the most so will probably head round that way.

I did look at Tan Hill but the lane off Sleightholme Moor seemed to be unpaved according to Google Maps. Also not sure about a longer section on either the A67 or A66 there.

Pharti, not sure which Dalton you mean, there are a couple within striking distance of the route. Generally I don't like info controls so was hoping to avoid them.

Thanks for all the feedback though, much appreciated.

« Reply #407 on: 25 March, 2015, 04:48:35 pm »

I did look at Tan Hill but the lane off Sleightholme Moor seemed to be unpaved according to Google Maps. Also not sure about a longer section on either the A67 or A66 there.

Heh. Sleightholme Moor in the dark. On 23s. Do it.  ;D

This is it in the day

« Reply #408 on: 25 March, 2015, 10:39:25 pm »
Sedburgh kind of defeats the aim to do a coast to coast to coast in a 400.

I think I like Pharti's M'boro avoidance the most so will probably head round that way.

Pharti, not sure which Dalton you mean, there are a couple within striking distance of the route. Generally I don't like info controls so was hoping to avoid them.

Thanks for all the feedback though, much appreciated.

I'm guessing he means Dalton-on-Tees, i.e. staying south of the Tees past Yarm and Darlo.

Sleightholme Moor is a blast, and a piss-easy bit of riding down to Barnie. You needn't ride along the A66, you go under it at Bowes, and along the A67 to Barnie, which is a cracking downhill, and it's not that busy as there's a weight limit on the bridge at Barnie, so not much heavy traffic goes that way. I think Revellhino planned to use the Sleightholme Moor bit on a perm recently. It saves you going over the Stang, but you may prefer tarmac to gravelly offroad. With massive potholes (the photos boab linked to are from four years ago, the sharkholes are back now).

« Reply #409 on: 26 March, 2015, 09:46:00 am »
I think as it'll likely be dark and cold I'll leave that off. I don't want to end up doing something daft on my tod away from a road. If it makes it to the calendar then riders will have the freedom to exploit that as a Cyclocross Larrington.

Dalton is on the Pharti alternative so I'll be going there. 411k isn't really pushing any overdistance boundaries.

« Reply #410 on: 07 April, 2015, 07:27:07 pm »
If anyone wants to join me on a gps version of the La'al Lakeland 100km on Thursday 9 April, PM me.  It's exceptionally scenic.  I'm just double checking the routesheet, so might be going a bit slow - maybe 6hrs.

« Reply #411 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:14:23 pm »
...and again

I am riding the Westmorland Spartans 300 on the May Day bank holiday weekend to double check the route sheet and also to get it validated for myself as a PBP qualifier.  I might be going rather slowly and may also have a support vehicle at some of the controls, as I am coming back from injury and have not been able to ride a bike this last week.  Anyone fancy a long day but with a bit of tlc PM me.  If you want to 'camp out' at HQ for the actual event and want to do this as a validated helpers ride, that should be possible.

« Reply #412 on: 11 May, 2015, 03:27:55 pm »
I will be on holiday in the Pendle area of Lancashire (Near Clitheroe) from 23rd to 30th May. I am looking to do a couple of rides North through the Dales. I've earmarked rides based on the Dales Delight 200Km http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1516373 and the Blanchland Blinder 300Km http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7847293 but am open to more sceninc offers. I would expect these to take me around 9-10 hours and 15-16 hours respectively in good weather. I am flexible on days at the moment but would prefer to pick any good weather days where possible (do they get good weather so far north?). Would anyone like to join me?

« Reply #413 on: 12 May, 2015, 04:23:56 pm »
Hi all, new member here :-). I'm British but now live in Spain. Can I setup and ride DIYs in Spain? As I'm based in Spain which organiser do I need to contact? Thanks

« Reply #414 on: 12 May, 2015, 08:23:47 pm »
Hi all, new member here :-). I'm British but now live in Spain. Can I setup and ride DIYs in Spain? As I'm based in Spain which organiser do I need to contact? Thanks

Welcome! Certainly you can set up and ride DIYs in Spain. You can enter with any of the DIY organisers (or, if going for validation by GPS, any of the ones who deal with GPS DIYs).

Happy Riding!

« Reply #415 on: 18 May, 2015, 02:17:43 pm »
Company welcome to ride Mark Beauchamp's Taste of the Test 200k Perm on Sat 13th June, starting in Tadley @ 0800 latest.  Aiming to complete the ride in 10Hrs elapsed.  Am rather looking forward to it since it's a bit of an Audax classic, local to me and my 9/12 RRTY. :-)

« Reply #416 on: 16 June, 2015, 09:05:28 am »
Calais - Brindisi 2600km at 200km/day average. Flexible on the date but thinking of an early July start.

Anyone have the time to give this AUK classic a try?

www.aukadia.net/recycled/r1-11.pdf

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #417 on: 16 June, 2015, 09:59:45 am »
^ no can do, but I'll be fascinated to read your reports as it's definitely there on the 'to do' list!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #418 on: 18 June, 2015, 04:30:33 pm »
Calais - Brindisi 2600km at 200km/day average. Flexible on the date but thinking of an early July start.

Anyone have the time to give this AUK classic a try?

www.aukadia.net/recycled/r1-11.pdf
Next year?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #419 on: 21 June, 2015, 02:50:17 pm »
Cycling back from Birmingham on Weds 24th june (attempt #2, real life got in the way last time)
300km Brum-Leic-Long Sutton-Stradishall-Ipswich.
leaving 9pm (work + meal) approx near Newhall St
just in case anyone's tempted  ;D
(note to self :remember to enter!)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #420 on: 10 July, 2015, 11:18:44 pm »
and a 400km/24hours loop round east anglia, from/to Ipswich;
iirc starting early afternoon (for easy nighttime navigation), Mon 20th July
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #421 on: 11 July, 2015, 03:21:49 pm »
Anorak's Delight tomorrow Sun 12th July @ 0800'ish Lloyds Bank Tadley in-case anyone is interested.

« Reply #422 on: 04 September, 2015, 07:59:46 pm »
A friend has had to pull out so I'm doing My First Audaxtm on 12 September, the Cambridge Saffron 100 Perm as a solo. I'm not able to make any calendar events until long into October, so this seems like a not-too-harrowing way to dip my toe into the water.

I acknowledge the slight creepiness of my first forum post being a request for company but I'm not a serial killer, I promise!

Planning to kick off at 0930 Kings Parade, trains permitting.

« Reply #423 on: 11 October, 2015, 12:17:16 pm »
I'm planning to ride a 200 from Windermere during half term if anyone fancies coming along, exact date is weather dependant.  It's a second check of a calendar event in planning, hopefully to run Autumn 2016.  Controls at Fell Foot (Newby Bridge), Tan Hill, Barnard Castle and Muker Village Shop/Tea Room.  Involves a little bit of rough stuff between Tan Hill and Bowes and is a hilly day out.

« Reply #424 on: 15 October, 2015, 09:47:43 am »
Registered this http://ridewithgps.com/routes/10781698 as a DIY GPS on Fri 13th ( :o) Nov.  Will be starting at some god foresaken hour (4AM?) to get to Alston for breakfast at ~9:30AM.  Company welcome on all or part of the ride.