Author Topic: The company on DIYs and perms thread  (Read 281810 times)

Chris S

Re: The company on DIYs and perms thread
« Reply #75 on: 14 September, 2010, 08:16:42 am »
Simonp's 200 from Hauxton is on the 26th. Why not do that?

« Reply #76 on: 14 September, 2010, 08:32:14 am »
Scottlington, have you considered a slow pootle round SimonP's Hauxton 200 instead? I have it on good authority that the route is not hilly and I certainly plan to take my time thanks to knee and late season ennui. That and riding the Tints on Saturday.
Edit: Chris types faster than me.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #77 on: 14 September, 2010, 08:54:38 am »
Thanks Chap(ette)s,

Believe me, I have looked at Simon's event and seriously considered entering. However, and this is the Chiken Willy's big win, I can start from home, have a slow pootle and still be back at a resonable hour whereas Simon's event is 2 hours away by car. Slow pootle + 2 out there and 2 hours back = a long day....Blame Manotea - he's been turning me on to DIYs over the past few months!  ;D

Seriously though, I would much rather ride a calendar event - if only for the assurance of friendly faces - but am trying to reign in my habit of driving long distances to events.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #78 on: 17 September, 2010, 12:24:43 pm »
I may not be available for the whole day but will be pleased to see you south of the M25. See you at the Chiswick roundabout garage (A4/A406) as before.

scottlington

« Reply #79 on: 17 September, 2010, 02:18:28 pm »
I may not be available for the whole day but will be pleased to see you south of the M25. See you at the Chiswick roundabout garage (A4/A406) as before.

Thanks Paul. What time did we meet last time? I know I left my house just befre 06.00 so preume 07.00-07.30?

Manotea

« Reply #80 on: 17 September, 2010, 02:25:29 pm »

Thanks Paul. What time did we meet last time? I know I left my house just befre 06.00 so preume 07.00-07.30?

About 7:30ish sounds familiar. If its just me at Chiswick, give me a ring when you get past Kingston. The earlier you start, the further I can go!

scottlington

« Reply #81 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:46:08 pm »

About 7:30ish sounds familiar. If its just me at Chiswick, give me a ring when you get past Kingston. The earlier you start, the further I can go!

Will do, sould be about the same time.

scottlington

« Reply #82 on: 25 September, 2010, 12:25:17 pm »
I need a 200 in September for RRTY. I want to leave this as late as possible due to lifeTM and max recovery time from minor achilles problem. My plan is a DIY200 on Sunday 26th September and probably the Chicken Willy myself, Manotea, IanOli +son did back in July. This is the route;

London (Chiswick/Hammersmith)-Lindfield-Brighton-Wiston-Chiddingfold-London. 200.2km by controls according to AR10, about 208km on the road;

although I would start at Bookham (Leatherhead) at 06.30ish and ride up to Chiswick for around 08.00. Company welcome, although it WILL be slow, probably 11-12 hours. I don't want to and have no need to push it.  :)

Still on for tomorrow. Myself only so far (with company for some of the way courtesy on Manotea). I should be at chiswick roundabout (A406) about 07.15-07.30. Company welcome!

scottlington

« Reply #83 on: 26 September, 2010, 06:34:42 pm »
I need a 200 in September for RRTY. I want to leave this as late as possible due to lifeTM and max recovery time from minor achilles problem. My plan is a DIY200 on Sunday 26th September and probably the Chicken Willy myself, Manotea, IanOli +son did back in July. This is the route;

London (Chiswick/Hammersmith)-Lindfield-Brighton-Wiston-Chiddingfold-London. 200.2km by controls according to AR10, about 208km on the road;

although I would start at Bookham (Leatherhead) at 06.30ish and ride up to Chiswick for around 08.00. Company welcome, although it WILL be slow, probably 11-12 hours. I don't want to and have no need to push it.  :)

Still on for tomorrow. Myself only so far (with company for some of the way courtesy on Manotea). I should be at chiswick roundabout (A406) about 07.15-07.30. Company welcome!

All done. Rode up to Chiswick where met up with Manotea who proovided excellent company and pace setting down to Turners Hill where he headed for home. I carried on to Brighton and then turned into the wind for  the climb over Devil Dyke (BTW Manotea - I can now confirm there is no way down from the car park at the end except a very steep and slippery walk off the top - which I did and won't be doing again!).

No cash plus no card machine at Wiston meant a bumped control and no food until Chiddingfold. Quick stop there and the last 30k home despite being lumpy went by with no dramas. RRTY lives on....

« Reply #84 on: 06 October, 2010, 04:34:53 pm »
November sees me planning a 200k DIY for RRtY.

The planned route is Todwick near Worksop, Scunthorpe, Cleethorpes, Gainsborough (Garden Centre opp Rosies) Todwick.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #85 on: 06 October, 2010, 04:39:46 pm »
On Saturday October 23rd I'm riding Simon Ward's Tour of the Wolds 200, starting from York.  Does anyone fancy joining in?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #86 on: 06 October, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »
November sees me planning a 600k DIY for RRtY.
As you do ... ;)   :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #87 on: 07 October, 2010, 06:45:20 am »
Hooray, I have lost the ability to type.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #88 on: 14 October, 2010, 04:19:52 pm »
What, you mean you're not that silly?

You should have kept quiet, we were all seriously impressed for a moment there.

scottlington

« Reply #89 on: 16 October, 2010, 05:22:17 pm »

All done. Rode up to Chiswick where met up with Manotea who proovided excellent company and pace setting down to Turners Hill where he headed for home. I carried on to Brighton and then turned into the wind for  the climb over Devil Dyke (BTW Manotea - I can now confirm there is no way down from the car park at the end except a very steep and slippery walk off the top - which I did and won't be doing again!).

No cash plus no card machine at Wiston meant a bumped control and no food until Chiddingfold. Quick stop there and the last 30k home despite being lumpy went by with no dramas. RRTY lives on....

Well, at the risk of developing route boredom, I am riding this again tomorrow.

I had not originally planned to ride at all this weekend (otherwise I would have done the Wyle & Ebble Valley 200 Calendar) but have changed my mind at the last minute which means this will be rolled out again. I have been playing around with a derivitive of this route which avoids going into London but haven't finished so Chicken Willy it is again!

Starting Bookham at 06.30, getting to Chiswick for 08.00 and pushing on to Brighton from there. Company welcome. Will be reasonably sedate - last run out on this route was 11hrs 25 mins for the 213k distance.

Manotea

« Reply #90 on: 28 October, 2010, 10:02:59 pm »
Scottlington is off 'down under' the evening of the 4th Dec so to keep his RRTY alive he thought he'd get up before dawn for a 200km, as you do.

By way of a change the plan is to ride Greenbank's London Brighton route which loops through Putney - Tunbridge Wells - Lindfield - Brighton - Horsham - Putney (though we'll probably RV at Chiswick rather than Putney, tbd). Scottlington will leave Bookham circa 5am and we'll RV at Putney/Chiswick circa 6:30. Company welcome

scottlington

« Reply #91 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:19:23 pm »
Scottlington is off 'down under' the evening of the 4th Dec so to keep his RRTY alive he thought he'd get up before dawn for a 200km, as you do.

By way of a change the plan is to ride Greenbank's London Brighton route which loops through Putney - Tunbridge Wells - Lindfield - Brighton - Horsham - Putney (though we'll probably RV at Chiswick rather than Putney, tbd). Scottlington will leave Bookham circa 5am and we'll RV at Putney/Chiswick circa 6:30. Company welcome

I believe the phrase you're looking for is ' that's hardcore'!  ;D

Billy Weir

« Reply #92 on: 17 November, 2010, 06:38:46 pm »
South East riders.

I am going to be testing my Redhill Beach Trip route sheet (runs 12 Feb, PBP qualifier) later this month (weather dependant).  Most likely date is this Saturday (20 Nov).  Anyone interested?

Route is a peach (goes from Redhill down to Seaford promenade and Beachy Head, via Wisborough Green and Ditchling, back via Uckfield.  Avoids hills where possible, so <2000m of climb in 208km).

PM me if it tickles your fancy.

« Reply #93 on: 17 November, 2010, 10:27:10 pm »
Any Chester riders I'm planning a couple of 200s via DIY GPS during the week one in November one in December - quite flexible on days if anyone wants to join me.

AndyH

« Reply #94 on: 18 November, 2010, 10:53:43 am »
I have a week off next week and am planning to do Valley of the Rocks 200 staring in Honiton one day. Aim to start early and go round in a fairly leisurely 12 hours (maximum), day to suit weather. Anyone fancy it ?

Assuming Devon is not underwater of course.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #95 on: 23 November, 2010, 09:30:44 am »
Bristol/South Wales area - RRTY ride for January just entered if anyone is interested. GOne for the Cambrian Series 2B (the one with the least climbing!), intending on starting in Chepstow on Sat 8th Jan. 8am to allow time to ride out from Brizzle.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

border-rider

« Reply #96 on: 23 November, 2010, 10:23:32 am »
Might well be up for that.  It's a fairly standard route for me, but a nice one :)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #97 on: 23 November, 2010, 10:33:13 am »
Bristol/South Wales area - RRTY ride for January just entered if anyone is interested. GOne for the Cambrian Series 2B (the one with the least climbing!), intending on starting in Chepstow on Sat 8th Jan. 8am to allow time to ride out from Brizzle.

That is tempting... can't say for sure but I pencil it!
Chief cat entertainer.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #98 on: 23 November, 2010, 11:31:16 am »
Superb, I'll give a shout nearer the time
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #99 on: 24 November, 2010, 05:19:00 pm »

That is tempting... can't say for sure but I pencil it!

Depending on work etc.
I may try to join you for the early morning ride from Bristle to Chepstow.