Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518211 times)

I've developed a new taste for cauliflower "rice", you just grate it and zap it the microwave for a bit.

Tried it for the first time tonight, as a replacement for pasta with a stroganoff. It was... Ok. A little bland, and not much texture, but OK as a sauce carrier.  Will do it again.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Can't decide which is better to come home to, at the end of a long bike ride:

Beef madras?

Or shepherd's pie?

Or Thai red prawn curry?

It's a toughie.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
All of the above? :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
*giggle*

Sport Relief Bake Off does Paris Brest's... :thumbsup:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Shepherd's Pie takes less effort to chew.

I just read that French primary school kids were served wine at lunchtime until 1956.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The Sainsbury's website seems to be in a crashed state just as I am piecing together a groceries order for Aged Parents' return to the UK. Buggrit!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
I was reading the ents\\rip Wogan thread and it occurred to me that, yeah,  I will miss him or, more accurately, I'll miss the Pavlovian response his voice inspired.  You see Wogan is irrevocably linked with bacon sandwiches in my mind cos Maw Lurker used to tune in to his breakfast programme back in the dim and distant early 70s and in those halcyon days we had bacon sandwiches for breakfast more often than not.

Damn! We have no bacon in the house. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I just peeled the lid off a Muller Corner and none of the yoghurt was stuck to the lid.

I'm so proud. I should go buy a lottery ticket with luck like that!

Pics or it didn't happen!!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

I hate the yoghurt that clags the carton lid. Foulest thing ever. A clean yoghurt lid is supreme. It's the food stuff equivalent of doing an angel poo.

surely the best bit is licking the lid?

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
surely the best bit is licking the lid?

Agreed, its the best bit! The thickest, creamiest bit always sticks there...

My local brewpub that also served decent food on the rare occasions I tried it, has recently sprouted a rather worrying food hygiene rating sticker in its window giving it a 1 rating; i.e. 'Requires major improvement'. I'm now wondering if they apply the same standards to their beer production and serving.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
My local brewpub that also served decent food on the rare occasions I tried it, has recently sprouted a rather worrying food hygiene rating sticker in its window giving it a 1 rating; i.e. 'Requires major improvement'. I'm now wondering if they apply the same standards to their beer production and serving.

A lot of these low scores apparently relate more to paper-shuffling and things being the correct colour rather than the rate of their customers contracting a nasty case of DETH.

A lot of these low scores apparently relate more to paper-shuffling and things being the correct colour rather than the rate of their customers contracting a nasty case of DETH.

Not so, what that actually means is that they do not follow procedures designed to protect you the customer from worse that deth, food poisoning being a small part. Procedures include correct storage of items in fridge/freezer to avoid cross contamination, correct labelling of such items use of correct colour cutting boards (again to avoid cross contamination) and along with that it indicates that correct hygiene is not followed, in other words it's dirty. Eat there at your peril, oh, and while your at it ponder the thought, if the same management have both food and the brew house the hygiene standards are liable to be the same.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Indeed.  A poor score may be more indicative of attitude than danger, but do you really want your food prepared by people with that sort of attitude to hygiene rules?

Indeed.  A poor score may be more indicative of attitude than danger, but do you really want your food prepared by people with that sort of attitude to hygiene rules?
             A sloppy attitude in a professional kitchen cannot be tolerated, it really could result in death (ignoring or not bothering about an allergy for example), the one star displayed just shows the Environmental Health people who visited that day swallowed what spiel the owner span them, and as my pet chef said to me "if you got a one star rating would you really display it", says something of their mind set that they did.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

A sloppy attitude in a professional kitchen cannot be tolerated, it really could result in death (ignoring or not bothering about an allergy for example), the one star displayed just shows the Environmental Health people who visited that day swallowed what spiel the owner span them, and as my pet chef said to me "if you got a one star rating would you really display it", says something of their mind set that they did.

If you aren't posting from Korea, I would be careful about what you admit to, but each to their own.

But yes, it is weird putting 1 star on show as there is no obligation to do so. 1 Star is "Major improvements needed", you can be damn certain that means what it says. Generally food inspectors are reasonably pragmatic.

I must be having one of my dense moments as I don't get

"If you aren't posting from Korea, I would be careful about what you admit to, but each to their own."

I thought the point of the scores on the doors campaign was that it was mandatory to display them? If not, I guess that explains why you only ever see 4s and 5s...

I thought the point of the scores on the doors campaign was that it was mandatory to display them? If not, I guess that explains why you only ever see 4s and 5s...
[/quote

It should be mandatory then the lousy ones might be forced to up their game.

I must be having one of my dense moments as I don't get

"If you aren't posting from Korea, I would be careful about what you admit to, but each to their own."

Ham was making a play on the term "pet chef" in Quints's post, by obliquely referring to a common stereotype about Korean cuisine being the dog's danglies - or other body parts thereof.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Told you I was having one of my (many) dense moments.  :facepalm:

My pet Chef btw is my wife who also happens to be a professional chef, downside of this is she is always working so I end up doing the majority of the cooking  :-\

Well, it was, could and should be a fantastic pub. Trouble is they have had a relatively high turnover of management. It's now run by the son of one of the directors of the brewery. I'm fairly sure it used to have a score of 5, so they either have something like a rat infestation, or standards have slipped drastically. Or both. Either way, I won't be eating there until that scores improves a lot.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
I remember that the cafe stop on the first Cardiff-Swansea FNRttC had a Zero Star sign displayed!

From the seating it did look like the entire kitchen had been gutted and maybe even replaced since then as it looked spotless. I guess they'd had to get their fingers out after that score.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!