Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518378 times)

I just had a Cadbury Creme Egg. It's been so long (decades!) since I last had one I'd forgotten just how vile they are.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just had the last of a box of 8 croissants we bought last Friday, heated up in the air fryer. Delightful.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I just had a Cadbury Creme Egg. It's been so long (decades!) since I last had one I'd forgotten just how vile they are.

I don't know when I last had a Creme Egg.

I do not apologise for this ignorance.

We are slowly getting through a bag of Fun Size Mars Bars, which I bought after D started dreaming about Mars bars. I doubt I'll get another for the foreseeable.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
https://twitter.com/UllapoolCraic/status/1631050352601464833

£50 for 2 portions of chish & fips at the Kylesku Hotel !   According to that tweet the same people are buying up places all along the NC500 route and jacking the prices sky high.

That doesn't seem excessive to me.

Remote location == more expensive to operate.
Busy tourist route == charge more

I note that the hotel offers a 30% discount for locals.

Of the two decent local places we eat out in, the only dishes under £20 that they offer are vegetarian (edit- just checked and they do have pork belly for £19). Fish dishes are £22-£32.

Fish, oddly, is expensive up here.
I've spent £18 on buying white fish that was to cook for a meal for 3 people.

Later in that Twitter thread UllapoolCraic says they helped set up the NC500.

Hmmm. Set up something that is designed to get more tourists in an area then seethe at the unintended (but predictable) consequences.
It is simpler than it looks.

Just made the decision to not go abroad this summer and instead go to Scotland. Helpful reminder to avoid the NC500 route as much as possible.

To be fair, I had quite a lot of them and they were taking up a fair chunk of space that could be devoted to fish fingers and Magnums instead. I dread to think how much I've paid in electricity just to keep them frozen for the past X years. And I doubt I was really ever going to get round to doing anything with them.

Anyway, the bush I picked them off is just over the garden fence, so I won't have far to go to get some new ones to replace them. And I think this is a fruiting year.

wow, It's exciting for me to hear that you're anticipating a fruitful year for the bush. You could consider trying out some new recipes or preserving methods for the fruit, such as making jams, jellies, or fruit syrups. Enjoy the bounty of nature!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Just made the decision to not go abroad this summer and instead go to Scotland. Helpful reminder to avoid the NC500 route as much as possible.

Well, you’ve done a fair bit of it in better times. Apart from the rain.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
To be fair, I had quite a lot of them and they were taking up a fair chunk of space that could be devoted to fish fingers and Magnums instead. I dread to think how much I've paid in electricity just to keep them frozen for the past X years. And I doubt I was really ever going to get round to doing anything with them.

Anyway, the bush I picked them off is just over the garden fence, so I won't have far to go to get some new ones to replace them. And I think this is a fruiting year.

wow, It's exciting for me to hear that you're anticipating a fruitful year for the bush. You could consider trying out some new recipes or preserving methods for the fruit, such as making jams, jellies, or fruit syrups. Enjoy the bounty of nature!

I missed the harvest, alas. There was a pretty heavy crop but I just never got round to picking them - the actual picking would have been easy, but then I would have had to commit the time to processing them, so it would have been pointless.

So now I'll probably have to wait until autumn/winter 2024 for the next opportunity...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I don't know when I last had a Creme Egg.

I do not apologise for this ignorance.

We are slowly getting through a bag of Fun Size Mars Bars, which I bought after D started dreaming about Mars bars. I doubt I'll get another for the foreseeable.

My 9-year-old assumed that "Yay big" meant "Fun size" (i.e
 "Yay!"). He wasn't overly impressed to discover the truth.

Creme Eggs - I'm with you. No idea when I last suffered the horror of consuming such a thing. Long enough ago to be confident I wasn't yet regularly shaving; recently enough to recall that actually, I'd rather lick my own arsehole. In fact, I'd rather lick yours.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We don't start Easter chocolates until Easter Sunday.

I bought some Sainsbury's Swiss Chocolate mini-eggs in February (250g, 23 eggs, £3.50)

I REALLY like them! This probably means they won't be around next year. Eggs are white, milk or dark chocolate shells, with matching hazelnut paste & chocolate filling.

Suspect they're FAR too good value & chocolate ever to feature again...

Bought our first Jersey Royals of the season yesterday. A mere £9/kg from the farm shop.

There's a pizza take-away recently opened next door to a pizza restaurant, near me.
On the menu of the take away is Nutella pizza.
That's just wrong on a custodial sentence level.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Mixed with peanut butter and slices of banana? No?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

There's a pizza take-away recently opened next door to a pizza restaurant, near me.
That's just wrong on a custodial sentence "call in an air strike" level.

Gratis.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

That's just wrong on a custodial sentence level.

Isn't that just creating a weird version of a pancake?

Sounds like it would be fine, but it isn't pizza.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
MrsT was at the Asiatic supermarket in Strasbourg yesterday and brought home i.a. a wee bundle of Nem Chua, which we haven't seen since we left the Paris area in the 80s.  I used to love the things without really knowing what was involved in making them, so I looked them up just now. Wish I hadn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nem_chua#Health_risk

I'm still going to eat the buggers though.  Hell, the US bars Mimolette cheese (cheese mites) and Germany bans, or used to, Thousand-Year Eggs ("rotten").

MrsT was at the Asiatic supermarket in Strasbourg yesterday and brought home i.a. a wee bundle of Nem Chua, which we haven't seen since we left the Paris area in the 80s.  I used to love the things without really knowing what was involved in making them, so I looked them up just now. Wish I hadn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nem_chua#Health_risk

I'm still going to eat the buggers though.  Hell, the US bars Mimolette cheese (cheese mites) and Germany bans, or used to, Thousand-Year Eggs ("rotten").

Raw pork . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

You might want to check the levels of intestinal parasite infection in parts of the world that regularly consume raw pork. That said, most pork in the EU, UK, and NA is free of the usual parasitic helminths.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Well, I slice them and slap them into a just-seasoned wok at around 180°C, so if they can survive that they're welcome to a mouthful of shit.  Heh: this latest batch (of nem chua, darling) are adorned with small pieces of pimiento of megadeath strength.  MrsT walked through the gaseous exudations from same as I was auto-da-fe-ing a couple this lunchtime and coughed until the end of the meal.

Well, I slice them and slap them into a just-seasoned wok at around 180°C, so if they can survive that they're welcome to a mouthful of shit.  Heh: this latest batch (of nem chua, darling) are adorned with small pieces of pimiento of megadeath strength.  MrsT walked through the gaseous exudations from same as I was auto-da-fe-ing a couple this lunchtime and coughed until the end of the meal.

Which reminded me of a tv show showcasing the chef Nick Nairn who inadvertently chuck chilli oil into a hot pan he was intending to fry a steak in. Cue clouds of chilli laden smoke and a collapsing chef.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wish I'd seen that.  Chum used to have a tape of Fanny Craddock out-takes but they were all on the "I've dropped the bloody pancake on the floor" level.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
You might want to check the levels of intestinal parasite infection in parts of the world that regularly consume raw pork. That said, most pork in the EU, UK, and NA is free of the usual parasitic helminths.

I've been reading reports of Nastiness to Pets, when owners have been feeding with raw meat as is trendy in some Chattering Class pet owners...

ian

Apropos of nothing, I had breakfast with an 'intestinal parasite expert' the other day (as you do). Probably not the best subject for a breakfast meeting. Anyway, his lab is doing some cool stuff to create vaccines – a fiendishly difficult task considering the complexity of parasite life cycles and how evasive the little buggers are. They have an impact on over 3 billion people (maybe 3 billion and one after those nem chua). Along with malaria, it seems we're making some progress. Nice chat also about the role of parasitism as a key driver of evolution.

owners have been feeding with raw meat as is trendy

Test by Wild Justice have found very high levels of lead in various types of dog foods containing bits of pheasant.

For several years they have been publishing research into lead levels in game for human consumption.
It is not regulated in the way that "farmed" meat is, so there is no legal maximum level. And they repeatedly find very high levels of lead in game for sale. The shooting industry just will not change from lead shot to safer alternatives (not safer for the pheasants etc, obviously).
All that lead ends up in the environment....

I made a tomato sauce for some shop (garage) bought “fresh” tortellini. Passata, oil, garlic, shallots, handful of the rapidly disappearing wild garlic leaves. Was ok, but decided to titivate it a couple of days later, and added some chopped sundried tomatoes in oil (the type in plastic pots, not jars). Use by (or best before, I don’t recall) Jun 2022. They were fine, as was I.