Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626096 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9650 on: 26 January, 2018, 12:50:28 pm »
Oh and M&S, while I'm at it, I've been <size N> for years. Why all of a sudden am I <size N-2>? I swear size N-2 wasn't even a thing when I was younger...

M&S is notorious for vanity sizing. I always end up buying stuff that's 2 sizes smaller than I actually am, as well.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9651 on: 26 January, 2018, 01:04:58 pm »
Why am I incapable of trying things on in a shop, realising THEY ARE TOO BIG and putting them back? That's another pair of falling-down trousers to add to the collection.
Oh and M&S, while I'm at it, I've been <size N> for years. Why all of a sudden am I <size N-2>? I swear size N-2 wasn't even a thing when I was younger...

I have grumbled about M&S vanity sizing ad nauseam elsewhere on the forum.
In 1976, I was 18 years old and Size 14 fitted a 36-26-38 figure. That was considered the large side of average.
People have become fatter and acquired much more abdominal fat.
I think a Size 14 now accommodates a 31" waist and more.

If you want something to fit a 26" waist now, you are looking at sizes that weren't A Thing in the past...

M&S's Size Guide is often difficult to find online but a 2018 Size 14 will fit somebody who has gained a couple of stone since their size 14 teenage years...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9652 on: 26 January, 2018, 01:30:12 pm »
Why am I incapable of trying things on in a shop, realising THEY ARE TOO BIG and putting them back? That's another pair of falling-down trousers to add to the collection.
Actually the first part would suggest that you have never been size N in spite of your insistence of buying garments of size N. If instead you had bought size N-2 in the past, not only would you have a collection of trousers that didn't fall down, but you'd also not suddenly be (N-2)-2
I hope this helps to explain your predicament.   ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9653 on: 28 January, 2018, 09:58:55 pm »
After my ill advised beer fuelled rant on Friday night (I deleted it on Saturday morning) I’ve been thinking more on the mood that provoked it.
I’ve come to the conclusion that what I’m actually trying to do in these reports to my seniors is justify why years of underinvestment are not my fault, mainly because my boss won’t let my say that the current situation is largely due to years of underinvestment.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9654 on: 29 January, 2018, 08:00:42 am »
Re sizing, I am finding that trousers bought >25 years ago, when I was a fat slug of 92 kg, are too tight now, when I am a fit cyclist weighing 72 kg. Morphology changes with age, it would seem. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #9655 on: 29 January, 2018, 03:43:15 pm »
I thought I'd desnuffle my head or at least give myself an endorphin boost with a swim.

The plant room is broke, pool is currently 25 degrees (again people, a note on the web page maybe). Valour, I believe, on this occasion should join the queue behind discretion. I might have braved it if I didn't have a cold.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9656 on: 29 January, 2018, 04:31:12 pm »
I thought I'd desnuffle my head or at least give myself an endorphin boost with a swim.

The plant room is broke, pool is currently 25 degrees (again people, a note on the web page maybe). Valour, I believe, on this occasion should join the queue behind discretion. I might have braved it if I didn't have a cold.

25 deg seems quite warm to me. I got in from the shed after a turbo session yesterday to find my daughter had used all the hot water.  Soap does not lather well in those conditions.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #9657 on: 29 January, 2018, 05:08:11 pm »
I've swum in colder (and I used to scuba many, many years ago), but 30 minutes in 25 degree water with a cold wasn't enticing. Once you get going it's bearable, it the getting going that hurts. I think they have to close if it gets much below 25 degrees in case they flash-freeze any kids.

Apparently they're fixing it, though I imagine that much water takes a good few days to warm up. I may have a chilly start tomorrow morning if my cold starts to pack its back and get the hell out overnight.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9658 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:45:03 pm »
Fucking ebay scalpers.
Two items (saddles), buy-it-now, £4 per item p&p.
'Request total from seller', message back: 'Seller does not combine postage for multiple items'.
Paid the invoice. Items turn up this morning, wrapped together in a Tesco carrier bag, cocooned in parcel tape, 2nd class, £3.40.

Grrrr!!! TWAT!!!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9659 on: 30 January, 2018, 06:46:25 am »
Same on Amazon, I buy second hand hardback books from there occasionally, and spotted two from the same supplier. " Sorry, we're not set up to send them as one combined package" ffs!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #9660 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:28:03 am »
A fluttery power surge this morning has killed my stereo. I presume the fuse. I've not replaced a fuse for years. That's not the problem. It's the location of the bloody little packet of fuses. Wherefortharethou?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9661 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:35:45 am »
You got some aluminiuminiuminiuminiuminiuminium foil, right . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9662 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:40:40 am »
aluminium foil? There's posh.
What's wrong with a nail? It's a lot less likely to go pop if the fault has caused an issue elsewhere, and you don't want it to go pop do you?

essexian

« Reply #9663 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:42:27 am »
Colleague A has a cold. To illustrate, their nose was discharging more snot than the Amazon does water after a wet spring, while their cough was so loud that residents of the local grave yard were queuing up at the front desk to complain. Finally, the speed of their sneezes made the wind at the top of Mont Ventoux seem like a gentle summer breeze. Yes, this was a cold and a half.

So, what does Colleague A do with this cold on a work day. Do they:

A). Phone in sick and spend the day under a blanket watching crap day time TV whilst recovering.

B) Troop out like a brave droid into their home office and do a few hours of ineffective work struggling all the time to concentrate between periods of screen cleaning.

C) Travel for nearly three hours on a train each way to attend a meeting so that they could sit in a room with 20 other people and share their joy at being ill?

Of course, they picked choice C.

What is it with people and colds? I mean you would not go out in public if you had leprosy so why do so with a high communitive illness like the common cold? Not wishing to be mean: I wish them better soon, but keep your germs to yourself next time!

End note: This will be uprated to a rant if I go down with the cold. Finally, there was little reason for them to attend really as the meeting could have been covered in a ten minute phone call.

ian

« Reply #9664 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:58:17 am »
aluminium foil? There's posh.
What's wrong with a nail? It's a lot less likely to go pop if the fault has caused an issue elsewhere, and you don't want it to go pop do you?

My pikey dad used to stick the live and neutral wires directly into socket (using the screwdriver jabbed into the earth to get them in). Job done.

I've no real idea how I survived childhood.

« Reply #9665 on: 30 January, 2018, 10:07:37 am »
Car insurance, renewal prices and business models pioneered by Dick Turpin. A 2 minute phone call can save you 50%.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9666 on: 30 January, 2018, 10:51:41 am »
My work life is ruled by the box tickers. They've no connection with the realities of what we are delivering but there's a whole army of them who have to tick the right boxes before I can get anything progressed through the ruddy system! They call it Governance!!!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9667 on: 30 January, 2018, 10:52:45 am »
Car insurance, renewal prices and business models pioneered by Dick Turpin. A 2 minute phone call can save you 50%.

Found exactly the same thing with Home insurance, 5 minutes on MSE saved me >£500 for the same cover!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #9668 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:01:33 am »

Found exactly the same thing with Home insurance, 5 minutes on MSE saved me >£500 for the same cover!

The whole industry is loopy, as you say half a dozen clicks, get a quote from the same company for the same policy and you've saved a massive amount, I just can't see how it makes sense, the admin costs must be massive.

« Reply #9669 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:06:22 am »
Same on Amazon, I buy second hand hardback books from there occasionally, and spotted two from the same supplier. " Sorry, we're not set up to send them as one combined package" ffs!

Can be because the supplier doesn’t actually hold the stock, an£ they source and send it from multiple locations, just like Amazon themselves do.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #9670 on: 30 January, 2018, 11:13:04 am »

A few years back we found the exact same policy from the exact same company online for half the price that we decided to do the annual insurance merry-go-round.  We pay a third of what we used to pay for the same buildings and contents cover now.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9671 on: 30 January, 2018, 12:35:37 pm »

What is it with people and colds? I mean you would not go out in public if you had leprosy so why do so with a high communitive illness like the common cold? Not wishing to be mean: I wish them better soon, but keep your germs to yourself next time!

End note: This will be uprated to a rant if I go down with the cold. Finally, there was little reason for them to attend really as the meeting could have been covered in a ten minute phone call.
Does your employer, by any chance, have a punitive sickness absence policy which believes all employees should be in perfect health at all times and any absence should be punished by meetings, warnings, withholding of pay progressions, dismissals etc?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9672 on: 30 January, 2018, 12:59:40 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9673 on: 30 January, 2018, 01:01:05 pm »
I suppose it's one way of making cheese on toast.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9674 on: 30 January, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »

Shouldn't the one with the Audiovisual  Auto-Alert alert be rated at 303 amps?