Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626255 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15750 on: 18 January, 2023, 05:46:03 pm »
Finally done last week, man said it took twice as long as a "normal" installation.

You'd expect that, what with there being twice as many wires to connect...

As feared, the monitor thingy doesn't work in the house, so it's in the shed where it will never be looked at.

Correction : OH has just come in from lubing my bike and he has looked at it, but so far we don't have enough info to compare and make changes.

The octopus website and/or API does a better job than the little display thingy for everything except instantaneous power, anyway.

« Reply #15751 on: 18 January, 2023, 06:01:00 pm »
You'd expect that, what with there being twice as many wires to connect...
We were the first call of the day, so it would mean the poor bloke was going to be late for the rest of his appointments - felt a bit sorry for him!
And yes, I think OH is clued up about the octopus website so I'm keeping a low profile till I have a better idea of how we might adapt our timings to get a better tariff.
The AGA will be fun - the system is set to get itself up to full cooking temperature twice a day, and by some magic it monitors useage so it knows when to turn itself up to achieve same. And by human magic, I organise the cooking around it. I'm sure there are economies to be made...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15752 on: 18 January, 2023, 06:20:17 pm »
Another bloody lightbulb gone PHUT >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15753 on: 18 January, 2023, 09:28:21 pm »
Excite! My Scout hut has a New! Shiny! smart meter, on account of the old one being old. However,because reasons, the hut has a three phase supply and two meters. Only one has been replaced, with the other still a spinny disc.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15754 on: 20 January, 2023, 10:43:26 am »
Don't you just hate it when you drop the new bog roll into the bog?   :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15755 on: 20 January, 2023, 04:13:01 pm »
Don't you just hate it when you drop the new bog roll into the bog?   :facepalm:

Is this proof that a bloke has actually changed a toilet roll??????????????

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15756 on: 20 January, 2023, 04:25:25 pm »

;D

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15757 on: 20 January, 2023, 06:29:50 pm »

I’d have to say no, becasue it seems he failed in the attempt!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #15758 on: 20 January, 2023, 08:59:48 pm »
I can say, as a bloke, I have never dropped a bog roll into the lavatory. But then again, I've never cycled into the canal either. I live a sheltered life.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15759 on: 20 January, 2023, 10:57:50 pm »

I’d have to say no, becasue it seems he failed in the attempt!

Cutting out the middle-man, thobut. Such efficiency.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15760 on: 20 January, 2023, 11:59:31 pm »

IME it's not changing the rolls that blokes (Basil notwithstanding) have a problem with, so much as remembering to actually buy the stuff.

There are many things in life that really shouldn't be subject to just-in-time purchasing logistics, and a surprising amount of them involve toilets.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15761 on: 21 January, 2023, 07:53:12 am »

IME it's not changing the rolls that blokes (Basil notwithstanding) have a problem with, so much as remembering to actually buy the stuff.

There are many things in life that really shouldn't be subject to just-in-time purchasing logistics, and a surprising amount of them involve toilets.

Buying the stuff reminds me:   We moved house and then went on a long-ish holiday . .  domestic supplies were run down prior to the move for obvious reasons of storage/packing etc.   Covid strucj while we were away and the holiday was cut short by 3 weeks . .  . the panic buying of toilet rolls back in the UK worried my wife to the point that she bought a 4-pack in a supermarket in New Zealand to bring home!

Personally I think the squares of newspaper on the nail on the back of the bog door would have been fine had itcome to it ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15762 on: 21 January, 2023, 07:58:54 am »

Especially when you've just scuttled across the bathroom with your bum al fresco to fetch it from the cupboard under the sink.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15763 on: 21 January, 2023, 11:45:53 am »
Say goodbye to bogroll blues by installing a bidet, as we did nearly 40 years ago in Manoir du Braconnier.  :smug:

(Still rely on bogroll for phase 1 cleaning, thobut.)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15764 on: 21 January, 2023, 04:30:18 pm »
Need a new garage ped door. Can't get our previous fitters to answer the phone, some comment on Google reviews about creditors ... Need to find someone else now.

My The North Face snow boots split right across the toes this morning. Probably perished with age.

Need to buy new tyres before the Future Classic goes for MOT next month.

My phone has spent the past few months displaying droid rot and threatening to die.

Now my tablet is doing the same.

I forsee much spending in my future.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15765 on: 21 January, 2023, 05:38:46 pm »
Previous occupants of this house left a new loo roll in both toilets.
I cant change loo rolls whilst standing and doing the task whilst seated prevents mishaps.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15766 on: 22 January, 2023, 08:22:37 am »
Say goodbye to bogroll blues by installing a bidet, as we did nearly 40 years ago in Manoir du Braconnier.  :smug:

Spike Milligan on French his hotel room "...and a bidet of steaming coffee".

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15767 on: 22 January, 2023, 10:09:10 am »
At Mar a Lago the bidets are full of steaming covfefe.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15768 on: 23 January, 2023, 08:56:03 am »
Beware the crema.

« Reply #15769 on: 23 January, 2023, 10:31:34 am »
We have a rather nice polished chrome bog roll holder upstairs, presumably made in the PRC. Quite why the Chinese insist on spoiling an otherwise excellent product by not inserting springs at both end of the roll I do not know. It make changing a roll a bit of a nightmare, including the risk of stabbing onself with a long flat bladed screw driver, the use of which is compulsory for changing a roll.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15770 on: 23 January, 2023, 11:51:27 am »
Bugger. Trying to phone the doctor. "You have dialled an incorrect number" says the Electronic Lady.

Well, not according to their website, I haven't, which is the same as the one stored in my phone, and which I have been using for some years.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #15771 on: 23 January, 2023, 02:42:09 pm »
Bugger. Trying to phone the doctor. "You have dialled an incorrect number" says the Electronic Lady.

Well, not according to their website, I haven't, which is the same as the one stored in my phone, and which I have been using for some years.

My parents village was badly impacted by someone lifting a manhole and dragging out as much copper cable as they could. BT lost the phone lines to pretty much the whole village though fibre to the cabinet survived so internet access was largely maintained. However installing new copper and reconnecting the pairs correctly at each end was a major exercise, and for an extended period phone numbers were miss connected and dialling one number could get someone almost anywhere else in the village. Let alone them working out the billing for outgoing calls whilst mis-connected.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #15772 on: 23 January, 2023, 02:59:54 pm »
A rather long moan but with a good end
(click to show/hide)

If you have read the above you prolly figured ...

(click to show/hide)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #15773 on: 23 January, 2023, 04:17:06 pm »
A rather long moan but with a good end
(click to show/hide)

If you have read the above you prolly figured ...

(click to show/hide)

Just promise me, you won't start posting videos tagged with 'van life'.

Drives me round the "£$%"£$^ bend.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #15774 on: 26 January, 2023, 08:00:21 am »
Us cottage ownere - a terrace of 8 - have a rough ground parking area we use to keep the road clear. In December the contrcators laying FTTP ducts decided to take a short cut across and alog it, rather than use the road. This resulted in the heavy clay subsoil being scattered all over it, making it a bit of a quagmire. The FTTP company agreed to make good, but the agreed date was the date of the snowfall here, so nothing happened. I've been chasing them since, and on Tuesday a guy turned up to say they'd be doing the work Friday. He then decided Monday would be better, give the frozen ground time to thaw.  Of course that meand all the cars will ned to be moved on Monday to make space, and one of our neighbours is away. Fortunatley he leaves a car key with another neighbour.

Last night we get a phone call as I'm preparing dinner. It's the neighbour with the key, who has, once again, not done as she was asked and run his car occasionally. So now it's battery is flat, and so is the front offside tyre. So that's my Friday afternoon and probably a chunk of Saturday charging the battery - extension has to be laid across the road - and pumping up his tyre. Luckinly I'll be changing wheels on my car as well, so was intending to be around.

This is the second time she's let the battery go completely flat, and he's not the sense he was born with so won't have got the battery replaced after the first time. I hope it'll not only charge but also hold the charge long enough for the necessary manoeuvering over the weekend.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)