Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 286475 times)

Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #950 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:45:57 am »
Seen on twitter this morning:
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #951 on: 08 December, 2017, 12:11:54 pm »
This is remarkable; a car gets towed away for blocking the pavement (no yellow lines)! And on a Sunday!
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/car-towed-pavement-parking-police-871316

Finally a little ray of sunlight. A pity they don't do it around here. Then crush the cars.

Pavements for people. Block this militant pedestrian and I leave a bootprint on your paintwork.

« Reply #952 on: 08 December, 2017, 01:15:10 pm »
Not my image: copied from here : "Courtesy of @Monymusk on Twitter:"

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #953 on: 08 December, 2017, 01:27:07 pm »
Aren't some of these really: "People who park inconveniently"? The vehicle(s) can be negotiated.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #954 on: 08 December, 2017, 06:03:57 pm »
Not my image: copied from here : "Courtesy of @Monymusk on Twitter:"

That's not Monymusk  ;)

« Reply #955 on: 08 December, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »
Aren't some of these really: "People who park inconveniently"? The vehicle(s) can be negotiated.

I would say somebody who parks inconveniently is a Fud.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #956 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:06:46 pm »

Try it in a wheelchair which is 2 feet wide and has 8 inch front castor wheels, please!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #957 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:08:55 pm »

Quite.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #958 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:12:52 pm »

Also, if they can be negiotiated then let them be negiotiated on the road by other motorists.
Pavements are for pedestrians, not motons.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #959 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:16:23 pm »

Quite.

Fuddishness fails to comprehend that what appears minimally inconvenient to them might be impassable to others.

8 inch castor wheels stop DEAD at a 2 inch step.

Power chairs have smaller front wheels.

Human-powered cargo carriers might have LONG wheelbases and big turning radii...

ian

« Reply #960 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:13:58 am »

Also, if they can be negiotiated then let them be negiotiated on the road by other motorists.
Pavements are for pedestrians, not motons.

I had a discussion yesterday with a Sainsbury's delivery driver parked across the pavement as I took a stroll, pointed out was completely blocking the pavement and he said he didn't want to obstruct the road. This was an empty two lane road and really wouldn't have imposed any hindrance on drivers. Whereas I, as a pedestrian, have to step out into the road (and I can't see what's coming because there's a big van in my way). Frankly I shouldn't have to step into traffic. I was polite but he didn't, tbh, seem to get it.

But yes, it's not just inconvenient if you're in a wheelchair, have any other kind of mobility issue, limited vision, or just happen to pushing a buggy. Negotiating around cars makes the urban environment worse for us all and puts people off walking.

Pavements are for people, let's get vehicles off them. If there's no room to park on the road, there's no room to park. Go somewhere else.

« Reply #961 on: 11 December, 2017, 10:50:53 am »
That's not Monymusk  ;)
???
Is Monymusk a place? All I meant was, the picture I had posted was, according to the place I copied it from, originally posted on Twitter by a person using the pseudonym @Monymusk.

Riggers

« Reply #962 on: 11 December, 2017, 12:00:47 pm »
I retract my question. It was akin to booting a wasp's nest!

ian

« Reply #963 on: 11 December, 2017, 12:43:17 pm »
It's a bugbear round here, it's impossible to walk to the train station without walking around a badly parked car. Quite oddly along one section of the road they half on the pavement to allow 1.5 lanes of road to be free, so there's no point, two cars can't pass anyway. They mostly leave enough pavement to squeeze down, except when they park by a streetlight or telegraph pole of course, at which point anyone hoping to pass along the pavement needs to two dimensional.

And there's the attitude that it's OK to block the pavement to avoid inconveniencing other drivers and that convenient parking trumps everything else including safety.

Riggers

« Reply #964 on: 11 December, 2017, 02:04:04 pm »
I fully agree with you Ianski.

I rather think, those that are parking on pavements are doing so less to inconvenience other car drivers, but more to diminish the chance of their vehicle being clobbered by someone squeezing past. It is pure selfishness. Much the same as those who feel their journey is taking far too long, will race through residential areas, and couldn't give a monkey's for their speed.

A friend (who has a drive), who lives close to one of the many schools round our way, and the one closest to him had a Open Evening. He stood outside his house to watch a woman pull up across his drive to park and, getting out said: "I won't be long!" She was off to the school. He said: "I can't get my car out! She said: "But I won't be long!!!" He told her, if she left it there it wouldn't be in the same state as it arrived. She huffed and puffed and then tore off down the road. Unbelievable really. It happened to him on the following evening, when somebody parked across his drive, so he walked up and down the road knocking on people's doors to see if anyone knew who's car it was. Nobody did, so he then got a friend with a big Land Rover to haul it down the road. Maybe they'll learn? Who knows.

« Reply #965 on: 11 December, 2017, 03:22:06 pm »
A lot of parking on the pavement here, mainly because if you don't park half on the pavement no one can get a tractor or a bin lorry or whatever passed as the road is too narrow. Also quite a few roads with no pavement so everyone is used to walking in the road anyway.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #966 on: 11 December, 2017, 08:37:25 pm »
That's not Monymusk  ;)
???
Is Monymusk a place? All I meant was, the picture I had posted was, according to the place I copied it from, originally posted on Twitter by a person using the pseudonym @Monymusk.

It's a village not far from here. I quite often cycle through it :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monymusk

« Reply #967 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:21:01 am »
It's a village not far from here. I quite often cycle through it :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monymusk
I see. Thank you.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #968 on: 12 December, 2017, 10:10:50 pm »

A Cheshire pub car park

'I've got a Jag - why not  flaunt it !'
Probably the fugliest car Jaguar ever made, too.  It's up there with the second generation Subaru Impreza and Hyundai Coupe for headlight bug-eyedness.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #969 on: 14 December, 2017, 10:09:24 pm »
I'll just leave this here. Apptly there is a FB page called Badly Parked Cars...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #970 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:01:15 pm »
Yeah common issue for disabled people and those with buggies/children.

I'm part of a disability community which showed a council truck parked over the entire the pavement with workmen nearby. The workmen refused to move the vehicle off the pavement so child using a mobility-walker could get past - so this 7 yr old kiddie was expected to just use the road. I sincerely hope the OP complained to the council and someone gets ripped a new one!

I know wheelchair users who happen to have a sharp thing sticking out to scrape such offenders. 

Hedges are harder, the walking route near the local hospital is like that, a nasty uneven pavement full of trees and a prickly holly bush. I hate it cos it makes me unbalanced and there isn't space to pass another pedestrian despite it being busy. I really must chunter at the council about that.

« Reply #971 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:28:19 pm »
Get in contact with them ASAP Barakta.

Once it gets to nesting season hedge cutting is illegal so they wont do it until next summer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #972 on: 15 December, 2017, 04:37:28 pm »
That's a stretch that the local cycling campaign have moaned about, on account of the cycling provision consisting of a couple of crudely-drawn bicycles on the carriageway.  My comment was that cycling in primary with some impatient motorist on your wheel was still better than the provision for pedestrians.  I think what's really needed is to make the road one-way in the downhill direction, and use the space freed for a properly segregated cycling contraflow and decent width footway.

The hedge isn't actually overgrown, it's just that the footway is woefully inadequate.  I suspect the hedge marks the boundary of hospital land.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #973 on: 15 December, 2017, 04:44:57 pm »
It’s possible that the hedge used to mark the boundary, but has grown over it to grab some footpath. It can be problematic discovering who is responsible (owners, District, County) but I’d start with County. Our county used to write to owners and then if they didn’t cut back, they’d do it and charge the owners. I doubt there’s enough staff or will to do that now.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #974 on: 15 December, 2017, 04:57:59 pm »
https://goo.gl/maps/bJtekeBJJPy shows the hedge in question.  Note how the pavement on the left hand side of the road evaporates after the car park, squeezing all the foot traffic (which can be substantial when students move between the Medical School and other buildings en masse) onto the half-width pavement on the right.  Interestingly, Streetview has images going back to 2008, and while they show an unoffical desire line evaporating and the hedge thickening and gaining height, it doesn't seem to encroach any further onto the pavement.

TBH, the real issue (other than the disproportionate space allocated to motor vehicles), is that so much of the footway is given over to the trees, to the point of not even being properly surfaced.  Unacceptable for a major access route to the hospital to be so useless for wheelchair users.