Author Topic: Christmas gifts caught by customs  (Read 3254 times)

Re: Christmas gifts caught by customs
« Reply #25 on: 19 December, 2020, 11:43:57 am »
You can dispute the charges, you just need to show them proof of the real value.

How's that work? I thought when you get the nastygram from Parcel Force, they've already paid the duty and Customs are done with it?

« Reply #26 on: 19 December, 2020, 11:48:40 am »
You can dispute the charges, you just need to show them proof of the real value.

How's that work? I thought when you get the nastygram from Parcel Force, they've already paid the duty and Customs are done with it?

Before you get the goods you get the notification and breakdown of charges . You are invited to complete a form if you dispute the charges. So you can either pay and get the goods or dispute the charges and go from there.

« Reply #27 on: 19 December, 2020, 11:51:36 am »
Before you get the goods you get the notification and breakdown of charges . You are invited to complete a form if you dispute the charges. So you can either pay and get the goods or dispute the charges and go from there.

Not on the letters I've had. See the bottom paragraph in the photo here, where you're invited to FRO:
http://www.coloringwithoutborders.com/2014/01/a-tax-on-your-gifts.html

« Reply #28 on: 19 December, 2020, 11:55:30 am »

Not on the letters I've had. See the bottom paragraph in the photo here, where you're invited to FRO:
http://www.coloringwithoutborders.com/2014/01/a-tax-on-your-gifts.html

Strange, I can only talk from my own experience when importing.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #29 on: 19 December, 2020, 12:26:26 pm »
Royal Mail / Parcel force won't deliver it until you pay the fees due. It would just get returned to sender.

If you've been overcharged, could try claiming a refund from HMRC. Theres a form here. But presumably that won't include any handling fees you had to pay. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-customs-dutyimport-vat-relating-to-imports-by-post-bor286

« Reply #30 on: 23 December, 2020, 01:45:09 pm »
I have ordered some earrings for MrsC from Transpondia. They were not particularly expensive, but I am now expecting that
a) They will not arrive until after Christmas
b) They will at least double in cost

Oh well. Fortunately I have other things ordered for her as well so there will not be a big blank space under the tree.
The have arrived! And look very nice. And, despite the package being covered in labels about not being able to be delivered until monies are paid, the postie just put it through the door.  :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 23 December, 2020, 09:52:08 pm »
I have ordered some earrings for MrsC from Transpondia. They were not particularly expensive, but I am now expecting that
a) They will not arrive until after Christmas
b) They will at least double in cost

Oh well. Fortunately I have other things ordered for her as well so there will not be a big blank space under the tree.
The have arrived! And look very nice. And, despite the package being covered in labels about not being able to be delivered until monies are paid, the postie just put it through the door.  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Yay!