Author Topic: Ashes 2013-14  (Read 17867 times)

Re: Ashes 2013-14
« Reply #25 on: 22 November, 2013, 09:34:14 am »
well here we go, same old same old,

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:06:03 am »
500 in the second innings then  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 22 November, 2013, 11:01:53 am »
Or possibly a draw..?   http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2174003   
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #28 on: 22 November, 2013, 12:30:28 pm »
:):) now that would be typical,

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 22 November, 2013, 01:40:01 pm »
I'll be listening.  As I sleep alone in Brum, there's no problem leaving my old clock radio on R4 long wave all night.  I drift in and out of it all night.  Can be a bit surprising sometimes when you're listening to England being 130 - 2 or something and then you turn over in bed and realise that it now seems to be Australia being 10 - 0.  WHA?   :o  How the f did that happen?

See?   :facepalm:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #30 on: 22 November, 2013, 03:26:12 pm »
Basically, nothing has changed since the summer then. Both teams batting line ups have shown us they can still collapse at any time. Just to confirm this, England have done it in catastrophic style, as opposed to Australia's more subtle effort.

Last summer, both teams were overall - poor to average with a few decent periods of play. The only reason England won was that they had more periods of decent play fewer periods of poor play than Australia. The final score line flattered England. A couple of the games could've easily gone Australia's way.

I'm not overly concerned, but seeing as both teams are so shaky, it's almost impossible to predict the outcome of this series. It will come down to the same thing as last summer - who can be the least shit...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 22 November, 2013, 05:18:56 pm »
England, first test, first innings.  Entirely predictable.
Predicatble? In a way, Yes!

Statto Vaughan: "last 5 england tours, they have scored under 200 in the 1st Test, 1st Innings."

So no need to worry yet  :P Having said that, an Aussie win will be a massive confidence boost. :(

More worrying stat was the tiny number of recent 400+ innings. It was just a couple in about 20 Tests.

Agree with McBobb - the scoreline in England flattered us, the Aussies weren't that much worse than England. So yes;
both teams are so shaky, it's almost impossible to predict the outcome of this series
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2013, 12:56:23 am »
And rain stops play.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 23 November, 2013, 08:03:21 am »
Oh no it doesn't...

Since Piers Morgan bashing seems to be our national sport, I'll just mention that he tweeted that "England can still win from here."

Australia had just taken a lead of 500.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #34 on: 24 November, 2013, 01:52:15 pm »
Oh well - early days, but England are going to have to find some steeliness from somewhere.  The batting line-up is looking fragile atm, in the face of the Aussie extra pace and other things.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #35 on: 24 November, 2013, 02:00:40 pm »
They need Anderson firing on all cylinders too.

« Reply #36 on: 24 November, 2013, 04:13:02 pm »
They need Anderson firing on all cylinders too.

He bowled ok. Thing is, Anderson's biggest asset is his swing/reserve swing, it's a very important part of his weaponry. He's going to find that much more difficult out in Australia.

As a bowler, it's a bit soul destroying when your batsmen only give you a 52 OVER BREAK in a test match before bowling again!

I wouldn't be much good in the dressing room at the moment, either as a player or non-player, because I ain't confident at all.

England will get back into it - if Australia falter. If they don't I think we're well and truly stuffed.
The problems that we see now have been coming for a while. Australia have taken enough from England for the time being, and boy does it show in their attitude. They're really, really up for this.

Everything's running right for Australia - players coming into form with increasing confidence, England players struggling with form and becoming less confident - ok, it's only the first test, but if Australia cock it up from here, they'll never forgive themselves. It's their series to lose.

We should do ok in Adelaide. Then it's Perth. MJ likes Perth!

Ok, that's enough pessimism from me  :)
Garry Broad

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #37 on: 24 November, 2013, 05:33:27 pm »
Confidence is a very interesting component in success. How different are the component parts of each team compared to the time that Cook was out-Hammonding Hammond?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #38 on: 24 November, 2013, 06:38:25 pm »
Thing about confidence in a team is that there is probably nearly always somebody struggling to find confidence or not playing as well as they could be. This is especially true in cricket where peoples form must be coming and going all the time and to get every single person playing at the top of thier game is more rare that common. If you're part of a team where confidence is on the up then it means you can be 'parented' along. 'Don't worry, keep going, we're all with you, we have confidence in you, things will get better' [of course that kind of faith only lasts so long, but it gives you breathing space to get your act together]. I think Ian Bell is a classic example of that. If that same person is in a team where confidence is a little more fragile, then you might begin to feel a bit more vulnerable, bit more exposed, don't feel the support quite as much and you may not come through the tough stuff.

In cricket, particularly with batting, you could argue that you're always on your own, and it's always down to you and nobody else, but if there a good vibes around with other people in the team doing well, it must help. Collective forces can get very powerful, as history shows us.

The other thing about Australia was Clarke's innings. Good player, but has struggled against Broad. Broad's had the upper hand for some time. When Clarke came out to bat England's tactics were so so obvious it was, well, obvious - Broad comes back after only one over from Tremlet [great for Tremlet's confidence that] to bowl the short stuff at Clarke and Clarke gets the upper hand and goes on to make a hundred. Good for confidence or what? And the rest of the team watch from the dressing room and think hay, that's really cool. Osmosis rules! It matters.

It's all well set up, that's for sure.
Garry Broad

« Reply #39 on: 24 November, 2013, 06:55:03 pm »
I think England will be pissed off with themselves rather than shitting themselves and their confidence won't be knocked too hard.

In the same situation 10 years ago, they'd be shitting themselves. Back then, none of the players had ever been part of an Ashes winning team. In fact, they were all children the last time England won.

Now of course, they've beaten them plenty of times in recent years and this Australian team is no different to the Australian team they've beaten previously.

I would imagine they'll put it down as a stupid fuck up and go into the next game still feeling pretty confident.

My prediction is that England will win the next test match  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #40 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:32:58 pm »
My prediction is that England will win the next test match  :P

Nothing would please me more, and I'd be happy to have the nose of my sentiments rubbed well and truly in the dirt :)
But I just can't see an England victory somehow.
I'd be more inclined to see a [slower pitch] big scoring match ending in a draw.

No doubt we'll be convening here during that time  :)
Garry Broad

« Reply #41 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:38:18 pm »
Can we start this series again? I don't think we were quite ready.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

« Reply #42 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:56:26 pm »
Can we start this series again? I don't think we were quite ready.

LOL!  :D
Classic
Garry Broad

« Reply #43 on: 24 November, 2013, 08:14:39 pm »
I seem to remember that happening to the GB team sprinters in the Olympic velodrome.....

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #44 on: 24 November, 2013, 08:46:33 pm »
I expect the flattest feather-bed pitches that they can possibly create will await the teams at the next few tests. 4 draws and the Aussies regain the ashes. Swann could become very important again this series.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #45 on: 25 November, 2013, 08:11:43 am »
So Trott has packed it in and is coming home ?

definitely 1 - 0 to Aus.   

edit: if he's that ill why bother going, now we're one batsman down, he's going to be replaced by someone in the squad ?
sorry if my opinion is harsh but unless your 100% fit don't bother going in the first place, it only fecks things up when you give in.
can things get worse, I expect they can  :facepalm:

« Reply #46 on: 25 November, 2013, 08:30:10 am »
Apparently a "long-standing stress-related condition. "  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25085025   GWS

« Reply #47 on: 25 November, 2013, 09:33:24 am »
I think it a great shame that MH issues, especially in sports people, still have to be skirted round with 'words in scare quotes'.
I wish Jonathan Trott all the very best and hope that he can overcome his problems and return to the game at some point.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #48 on: 25 November, 2013, 09:51:11 am »
Yes, exactly. Why do we think that if we pick 20 sports players that the squad will not be affected by things that affect the rest of the population. They are not supermen or robots.

« Reply #49 on: 25 November, 2013, 10:28:41 am »
Exactly.  Though I think at least two of the current Australian squad might expect less sympathy than otherwise, should they develop similar problems in the future; three if we include their coach, who sees nothing wrong in their behaviour, even after the authorities have fined their captain.  I think the level of sledging and offensive remarks may reflect just how badly the Australians have been hurt by recent results against England.