Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OT Knowledge / Re: 100 ml containers in hand luggage
« Last post by jsabine on Today at 08:57:05 am »
Doesn't the fiver charge for ordering and collecting at the airport 1) pale into insignificance in cash terms compared to the cost of a transatlantic flight, let alone the hotel room you're not having to pay for, and 2) save you from having to mess around beforehand buying the stuff, packing it, and getting concerned about whether or not security will take it off you?

Simplest has to be pay it, then seethe silently ...
The Pub / Re: Science that makes you cringe
« Last post by Asterix, the former Gaul. on Today at 08:51:33 am »
On a related note, I had one refuse to recognise a bag of keto-snacks on the grounds that someone had torn it open and helped themselves to two of them, which I only noticed when I discovered the hole on the third attempt and counted 10 rather than the expected 12.

I then had to explain the problem to the assistant, who was baffled that I'd noticed.

OT, but my pack of allegedly 12 toothbrush heads delivered by Amazon Sunday had but one head in it.  The box was sealed with a reusable sticker, which someone had obviously reused after helping themselves to eleven of the heads.  Nice of them to leave me one, I thought.

SO gave me a copy of "The Narnia Code" by Michael Ward.  Still not sure his hypothesis (no spoilers) isn't just a series of coincidences, and he has an awful Dan Brownesque writing style, full of italics, exclamation marks and ellipses.  Also, he's preachy.
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by Gaston Lagaffe on Today at 08:47:13 am »
Wordle 1,032 4/6*

🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#LeMOT 829 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟦🟦⬜⬜🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
#LeMotLeJeu

https://www.solitaire-play.com/lemot/

« Last post by Hot Flatus on Today at 08:45:50 am »
Wordle 1,032 4/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#LeMOT 829 4/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
🟧⬜🟧⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
#LeMotLeJeu

https://www.solitaire-play.com/lemot/
The Pub / Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Last post by T42 on Today at 08:44:44 am »
History Today's offering via FB today states that

Richard Dimbleby’s account of what he witnessed at Bergen-Belsen in April 1945 has become infamous in Britain.

An account of something infamous is not an infamous account unless the account itself does something infamous.  Don't peeple get eddicated any more?
Health & Fitness / Re: Prescription glasses
« Last post by rr on Today at 08:44:26 am »

I could claim £30ish from work but I'd need to have understood the hidden process in advance to get optiquack to fill in forms and I really cannot be arsed which is of course what they want, to make it so annoying it's not worth my time.

If you need specific glasses for working with display screen equipment then your work must pay for them, regardless of the cost of the lenses. They can limit you to the cheapest frames that will work and refuse to pay for nice to haves, but the optics you need for DSE they must buy. I would argue that you need your tint etc.

Rides and Touring / Re: EV 2
« Last post by yoav on Today at 08:44:13 am »
When you say 60mph road, do you a mean a main road or a small rural road with a 60mph limit. If it’s a main road, is it routing along the road or on a cycle path that runs alongside it? It’s unusual for a cycle touring app to use a main road unless there is no alternative.
« Last post by Jaded on Today at 08:41:53 am »
Wordle 1,032 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Audax / Re: What do you wear for Audaxes?
« Last post by this_is_the_way on Today at 08:37:02 am »
The layer principle only works on the basis you actually take them off as well as put them on.  Often when cycling we are loath to stop to do that, and even more loath to take off things off when adding a different layer.  Adding a windproof / shell warms you up and that might mean removing an insulation layer, before you put them on. But we don’t do this, so overheat, sweat, then chill despite more layers.  More flexible layers for wider ranges of conditions often works better in this way as well.

This is for sure a struggle for me. If only I had the bike handling of Sagan and could basically do an entire outfit change while descending at 70kmh.

One thing that did help was leaving the winter jacket for all but the coldest or longest rides. It's mostly because I don't have anywhere to put it unless I'm running a tail fin bag and then I never take it off even when I should. Unless temps will not go over 10, I leave it.

Arm and leg warmers with a wind proof gilet and armless wool base layer just in case have gotten me through a lot and the added benefit that they are easy to get on and off (and in and out of a pocket) so I actually do it. Gilet can be swapped for the Shakedry as needed and they pack down enough to carry both.

Shoe covers though, I can't get it right. The neoprene ones make my feet sweat so bad and the thin waterproof ones breathe well for me, but are so hard to get on and off I usually don't until it's too late and my feet are already wet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10