Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 105355 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #150 on: 16 January, 2010, 09:55:24 pm »
Exe Valley 9 May, and Burnham June 6 for sure.  Maybe Bristol 18 July, and I'd like a punt at Perranporth in September.  Not currently planning to race London but I may come with pompoms  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #151 on: 17 January, 2010, 12:04:13 pm »
Keswick in May and London are both olympic distance then (gulp) Vitruvian 1/2 IM in September for me, with the marmotte as a mid-year loosener.   And my miles so far this year?  10.

JJ

« Reply #152 on: 18 January, 2010, 03:50:20 pm »
HRH was muttering about London and a 1/2 Ironman at Rutland Water in Sept.  Might take the kids to watch that one.

Also the Cambride boundary run. Competition is hotting up for viable weekends!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #153 on: 17 February, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »
London is really well set up for spectators - Charlotte and Jules got some great ogling in, and the loops on bike and run mean you get several photo ops per suffering supportee. 
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #154 on: 19 April, 2010, 07:30:50 pm »
Mrs.Jogler is intending to involve the other members of the Witches Inquisition coven
Womens Institute branch to do a team-effort triathlon.
5 mile swim
20 mile bike ride
50 mile run/walk.

:o :o :o

It can be done in phases between 1st April & 30th September 2010.
I seem to have been nominated as a member of the cycling team.

The rules may appear to be quite relaxed but when you consider the average age of a WI member hereabouts & some of the medical ailments some of them are carrying it remains a prodigous ambition.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #155 on: 19 April, 2010, 08:36:24 pm »
That's a really weird set of distances! 

« Reply #156 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:15:54 pm »
Yes, I was trying to work that out.  20 miles of cycling & 50 miles of walking?  I cycle that far every day, but I wouldn't want to try and run or walk that distance!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #157 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:34:08 pm »
I have a hankering to do another triathlon.  I lost interest following Ironman Uk in 2005, not because the event wasn't brilliant (it was), but because there was nowhere to go from there.

Renewed mid-life crisis may mean I have a crack at the Big Woody this year..

http://www.blacksheepsportsltd.co.uk/Bigwoodyinfo2010.pdf

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #158 on: 19 April, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »
That's a really weird set of distances! 

That was my initial reaction.
I suspect that whoever selected them is naive with regard to the swim & walk/run distances

« Reply #159 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:51:11 pm »
I've got my first triathlon of the year in 10 days, a nearly-Olympic distance up in Keswick.

800m swim in freezing cold Derwent water
10k run up, round & back down Ulla Crag (yes, that's quite hilly)
40k bike ride, fairly flat considering where it is.  Sort of goes to penrith and back then a loop of Derwent.

& I'm shi77ing myself already :o 
the swim should be OK and the bike should be fine, but I did a hilly run session last night and it nearly killed me doing 6 repeats of a 40m hill, and I was actually slower downhill than i was uphill.  In 10 days, I've got a 300m climb (in < 1 mile of running) *after* a couple of hours of swimming and cycling.  Walking or  :sick: might feature quite a lot....

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #160 on: 13 May, 2010, 04:56:36 pm »
I've got my first triathlon of the year in 10 days, a nearly-Olympic distance up in Keswick.

800m swim in freezing cold Derwent water
10k run up, round & back down Ulla Crag (yes, that's quite hilly)
40k bike ride, fairly flat considering where it is.  Sort of goes to penrith and back then a loop of Derwent.

& I'm shi77ing myself already :o  
the swim should be OK and the bike should be fine, but I did a hilly run session last night and it nearly killed me doing 6 repeats of a 40m hill, and I was actually slower downhill than i was uphill.  In 10 days, I've got a 300m climb (in < 1 mile of running) *after* a couple of hours of swimming and cycling.  Walking or  :sick: might feature quite a lot....

Momentarily misread that as 40km and was well impressed! Sounds like you are about to enter a valley of pain. Go for it!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #161 on: 13 May, 2010, 05:11:37 pm »
Everyone will be hurting the same.  Dig in!

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #162 on: 18 May, 2010, 10:58:57 am »
I first got in to riding a road bike because of triathlons and I'm still a member of and cycle with the local tri club. One day I do plan doing a triathlon probably an Ironman, but right now I just love riding my bike a very long way, and having the tri boys thinking that us AUK boys are mad.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #163 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:19:56 pm »
Last weekend I did Eton super-sprint 1 min slower than 2 years ago.  Most of that extra minute was spent having a kip in transition.  Quite please with PBs on the swim and run.  Cycle wasn't so good. 

I'm doing Hyde Park in July.  It will be my first (and probably last) Olympic distance.  Then I might have to try Audax to prove I'm really hard. 
Peter

« Reply #164 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:59:34 pm »
Keswick tri was horrible - great fun, and a huge buzz to have got through it, but it was Grim.

Swim - lovely. Water tasted great, some biff; nice.  
Bike - I caught almost everyone who overtook me up the hills on the way back down the other side.  Hit a new high of 45mph on the dual carriageway round keswick.
Run - awful.  It was 28 degrees, there werent any feed stations, the run climbed through 1000ft in a mile after 3 miles, and I weigh 17 stone.  Not Pretty, I even had to walk some of the downhills because i just couldnt carry on.

Results - no idea. I was too borked after the finish to look, but it wasnt pretty, I lost A Lot of time on the run.

Bloody great though - lovely atmosphere, friendly people, BEAUTIFUL course, amazing weather.  

JJ

« Reply #165 on: 25 May, 2010, 12:15:14 pm »
Well done Mike.  It was indeed a warm sort of weekend for that kind of tom-foolery. This fat old man was skulking in the shade, bar the club run.   Any results yet?

This was just a step on the way towards the Vitruvian, right?  So it's money in the bank towards that goal.

No plans to do the Rutland Water one?  Mrs J plans to use it as a reconnaissance trip.  Apparently it shares some or all of the bike course.

« Reply #166 on: 25 May, 2010, 01:25:51 pm »
Any results yet?

yep:
750m swim + 300 meter run uphill to transition - 17:46
25k bike - 1:22 (with 2 long runs, av. rolling speed just over 19mph)
10k run - 1:17 (20 minutes slower than I'd hoped)

I was 166th out of 300 in the swim, 182nd in the bike and 241st in the run - 217th overall.

Am pleased with the swim and the bike, the run was too hard.  I will try again next year, hopefully a bit lighter with more running training behind me.

Some photos here:  Keswick triathlon pictures by mikes99mail - Photobucket

with a sample of the joy here:

No not doing Rutland, am off to Norwich next - should be a bit flatter!!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #167 on: 07 June, 2010, 12:53:55 pm »
Thinking of flat: Burnham!

Finally broke my race duck for 2010 with Burnham tri, which is a 500m pool swim, 20km flat square bike, 5km beach and trail run.  While the Speedy Boys were towel-flicking each other for supremacy, I'd decided to take this one mellow.  KISS is the mantra of the day.

The off-season's injury rota meant that this was a very un-trained race.  About two weeks ago I decided that this was going to be a blag: a race that I do off base fitness and whatever the result, so be it.  This meant that (1) I was mellow and (2) I immediately stopped bothering to train, which was kinda counter-productive.  At least I was well-rested (!).

The swim's always my most feared part, but it was okay.  Took it easy, and apparently looked okay from the gallery.  The swim biff was trivial - 4 in the lane, the same slow boys as always.  At about 350m, I even found my rhythm.  And then out...

I'd decided to skip the tri shoes and clever transitions because they need practice to get right, else hilarity ensues.   Last year I kicked my shoe off the bike and clean over the road, so this time the tri shoes stayed at home and I went out with the MTB shoes, which are easy to run in.  T1 was therefore smooth: Helmet, race belt, shoes, shades, and go.  The organisers have changed transition so it's a straight-through section of road, which was even smoother.

Off on the bike and with the stiff onshore breeze, it was aero tuck and just turn over the pedals.  Again, no drama: a good strong ride, being careful to keep my cadence up and my effort held back a tad.  This year I'd even worked out that 20km = 13 miles, so my energy was budgeted right.

Energy was the first change in this year's strategy: according to the bible (Anita Bean (her beans are very neat), Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition), it takes about an hour to get energy from carb intake into useful power.  My time is more like 90 minutes, so I can benefit from carbs in the first half hour of the race.

Since the swim is not in delicious tasty custard, that means taking carbs in the first half of the bike leg.  I duly made up a bottle of strong carb/electrolyte and had most of it by the turnaround, and it worked brilliantly: energy was steady, gluemouth was avoided, and guts were happy as clams.  I'd add a bottle of plain water or electrolyte if it was hot, just to sip.

Thus fortified, I scorched into T2, slammed on the anchors, didn't bother with any fancy footwork, and got into the talced Vibram Fivefingers for the run.  No disasters here either.

The VFFs are the second big change.  I've been working all Spring to build calf strength and technique up to 5km in 'em, because the running style they promote doesn't set off the scrag-end of the Auld Knee Trouble. Never used them in a race before, and I was pleasantly surprised.  They were just fine on the hard sand.  The loose sand was trouble to everyone.  They're glorious on trails (and Burnham is 1km beach, 2km trail, 2km beach, with soft sand transitions across zones).

As I started to tire I was more midfoot striking, and had to pay attention to that or get quite flat-footed.  About k3 I had to stop to stretch out my calves and hamstrings before carrying on.  Both of these are direct lack-of-training-runs issues, so I know how to sort those and there's no angst.  Apart from a sand-ladder or two, it was run all the way.  Toward the end, I was actually in a nice state of flow, reeling in the cones one by one, and a final death-or-glory sprint at the end iced the cake.

I took the swim easy, biked with some reserve and ran my legs out.  That I still didn't redline my HRM - TE 4.5 - indicates the level of condition I've got: I wasn't run-fit enough to max my CV system.  

Last year in good shape and hot weather, with some drama; 1:26:00.  This year in bad shape and cool windy weather, with no drama: 1:26:11.  I think the lesson here is: get in shape and then KISS.

A big thank-you to the marshalls and organisers - exactly the right number of bods on the road and I love the new transition (a bit crowded, but otherwise awesome).

Oh!  And as I was packing up, another competitor approached me. Turns out she and I both did our first triathlon at Wellington Novice in 2006, and we both got hooked the same way.  Small world.

« Reply #168 on: 07 June, 2010, 12:58:53 pm »

Last year in good shape and hot weather, with some drama; 1:26:00.  This year in bad shape and cool windy weather, with no drama: 1:26:11.  I think the lesson here is: get in shape and then KISS.

Pure Win.  Nice writeup too!

« Reply #169 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:06:05 pm »
Excellent!  I did Burnham a couple of time a  few years ago - it's a classic sprint race and I remember it being very enjoyable.  That beach run is a kiiler if the back leg is into wind though!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #170 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »
KISS?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #171 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:54:44 pm »
keep it something & simple?

« Reply #172 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:57:31 pm »

Keep it simple, stupid.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #173 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:17:42 pm »

Keep it simple, stupid.

This. 

Especially: Don't feck around with tri shoes fitted to the bike.  It takes practice to get that right.  Likewise don't overthink it, just get stuck in and have fun. 

What's got me confused now is how to interpret the result.  Is my regular training nothing more than placeholding?  (this is obviously the case for the swim, which was the same nearly to the second).  Or is the weather more important than I think - say, + 2 minutes for heat, - 2 minutes for de-training? 

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #174 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »
Drama adds minutes - apart from the drama itself of locating and replacing a shoe, drama = stress, and stress = time. 

On the two 25s I did last year, I got a significantly better time on the one where I went out to enjoy it than on the one where I built it up into a Mission of Die Trying in my head.  Despite having spent the evening before the fun one at the Weasels' barbecue, at which I did not behave as a finely tuned atherlete should.