Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 101071 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #100 on: 01 August, 2009, 05:06:05 pm »
Good luck, you mad people well trained athletes.

Make sure you get an early night.  :D
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

JJ

« Reply #101 on: 01 August, 2009, 08:20:33 pm »
I'm number 4984, yep first wave.

Mrs J (Helen) is 5053.  Say Hi to each other.

« Reply #102 on: 02 August, 2009, 10:48:54 am »
I made a very hand wavingly vague estimate of three hours or so to finish this (say plus one hour for extra knackeredness).  Pippa should have easily finished by now, from her 6-30 start.

She's probably down the pub getting bladdered or at home recuperating, or both. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #103 on: 02 August, 2009, 12:25:15 pm »
I made a very hand wavingly vague estimate of three hours or so to finish this

Steady on Tim! It was only my first attempt! But I IZ TRIATHLETE  ;D

I crossed the finish line at around 10.03 so given the 6.30 start gives just a smidge over 3hrs 30min, and I think we started late as well. I am super pleased with this as I had visions of it taking around 4.5 hours but was secretly hoping for closer to 4 hours.

It was all a bit of a rush this morning. They tell you to turn up 90 mins before your start time. So there I was, at 5am  O:-) but there was nothing open. Couldn't get timing chips, couldn't rack our bikes. Nadda. It all opened at 5.30  ::-)

So then it was a rush to rack, lay out the gear for transitions, get wetsuit on etc and then I heard over the tannoy that any 6.30 starters needed to run (run??? wasn't I going to be doing enough of that later anyway?) to the swim assembly (the ExCel centre is massive so to get from one end to the other takes some time). I entered the water one of the last (which was about 6.27) and then discovered we had to swim to the start as well  ::-) The swim was mostly uneventful - a few kicks in the face but then I found open water. My goggles leaked :( I wasn't fast. Not too slow either. I think I was probably in the last 25% coming out of the water in about 41-42 mins.

Then I got on my bike. I wasn't overtaken by a single female (some men in very pointy hats though) and overtook about 20'ish females from my wave, probably moving me up to the middle of the pack :D London is NOT flat. I managed to pull a glute (I think) towards the end  :( Took less than 1hr 30 on this.

Then the run. EVERY SINGLE STEP WAS AGONY. I managed to run to about 6km and then I had to walk/hobble/run. I think the running must have taken at least 1hr 15mins.

So I figure if I work on my running, then I'll be able to reduce my time for the next one!  :o

I'm off to the pub now for a well earned drink.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #104 on: 02 August, 2009, 01:55:54 pm »
good work!!   the beer should taste fantastic :D

but did you beat Helen (mrs JJ?) 

ChrisO

« Reply #105 on: 02 August, 2009, 02:13:27 pm »
Well done Pippa. Yep, it's all about working out where to make the effort and take off some time here and there.

On a slightly related note, we were pleasantly surprised that Son No.1 the swimmer, who we've been suggesting should get into triathlon, took himself down to Tooting Lido this morning and did the 1 Mile race, coming second in 24.30.

Normally he just does his swimming club stuff but he's actually a pretty good runner when he tries so this may be a good sign for getting him more interested in doing some training outside of the club.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot available for kids - Crystal Palace have started doing some events but their triathlon this summer was a farce.

« Reply #106 on: 02 August, 2009, 04:04:33 pm »
I see andygates is waving his medal (and chest hair!) on Twitpic as well, so obviously he's finished successfully.

Well done both Pippa and Andy. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #107 on: 02 August, 2009, 10:50:48 pm »
Just back from watching Andy Gates compete in the London Tri.  Here's the man himself relaxing with his well-deserved medal:

And here he is outside, getting outside a recovery shake:

Swim 41m27s
Bike 1h16s
Run 1h04s

There will be more pictures shortly...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

JJ

« Reply #108 on: 02 August, 2009, 11:37:00 pm »
Mrs J came in at 2:35:35 which is causing some pride in the J household.  It wasn't her first triathlon, but it was her first full length one, and amounts to 3 PBs strung together.  She had to lie down in a darkened room for quite a long time after getting back!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #109 on: 03 August, 2009, 07:56:22 am »
That's a stonking time! 

Nice one Pippa, sorry about missing the pub but I was a zombie. 

Swim was good, better than usual - no existential crisis, just "crumbs this goes on a bit".  A bit of jostling every now and then, which I liked because it meant I wasn't totally off the back.

Bike was just epic.  It was like playing Wipeout, wooshy tunnels and underpasses and I totally gunned it.  By the time I was on the road, there were hordes of hybrids to devour.  Did youse guys have the headwind?

And the run was just FOUL.  I came out of transition shambling and never found my legs: every step was a heavy flat plod and I had to do a walk-run jobbie.  Ran past the gurls though, you've got to show willing even if you're trying not to barf on 'em...

Transiton was HUGE! 

Lessons learned?  I focused on swim technique - lots of lunchtime sessions - and I needed to do more long endurance drags as my spine went noodly on the return leg.  1 energy 1 water on the bike, not 2 energy or it's boke-a-licious.  And the main one?  I can't blag the run.  I can blag a 10k steady run on its own, but not in a tri.  So, with Bala in 5 weeks' time, I'll move my focus to runs and some long swims.  Open-water-ness and the bike were just golden.

The time wasn't what I was hoping for, but the race was great and the gurls were fantastic all weekend.  It's easily the most spectator-friendly tri I've been to (TV and long-suffering spouse-friendly) and closed roads still have me grinning.  Absurdly huge transition. Great atmposphere.  I still smell like a wet dog. ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #110 on: 03 August, 2009, 08:28:54 am »
Well done Andy and Pippa!  :thumbsup
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #111 on: 03 August, 2009, 08:34:10 am »
Well done indeed ....

One of my daughters was competing on Saturday ... I haven't heard from her and the results server seems to be busted?

I will report her result here as and when ... assuming it doesn't bring shame on the house to robgul ;D

Rob

« Reply #112 on: 03 August, 2009, 08:39:49 am »
Was it an Olympic distance tri?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #113 on: 03 August, 2009, 08:42:30 am »
Saturday was sprints, Sunday was Olympics.  The results server is being hammered, bless, and it'll be fine in time (I'd leave it until after Monday lunchtime for the office-proud-parents rush!).
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

robgul

« Reply #114 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:48:22 am »
Saturday was sprints, Sunday was Olympics.  The results server is being hammered, bless, and it'll be fine in time (I'd leave it until after Monday lunchtime for the office-proud-parents rush!).

Noted  :thumbsup:

Rob

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #115 on: 03 August, 2009, 10:24:20 am »
Well done to all! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #116 on: 03 August, 2009, 12:13:29 pm »
right at the end of september: http://www.justracinguk.com/event/roade-triathlon-pool-sprint,  near northampton. 

Pool swim, sprint distance, lots of Total Novices (well, me at least).

Bah, can't make that day.

Yes I can :D

Charlotte is contemplating whether she wants to join in or not, and inspired by watching London at the weekend, I'm off to enter.  I hope there are places left...

« Reply #117 on: 03 August, 2009, 12:19:47 pm »
Small warning about Roade:

They put you in the pool about four or five to a lane.   I found myself submerged by three swimmers racing each other across the lane.   It felt like I'd been punched and kicked all over.   I was unable to continue.   

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #118 on: 03 August, 2009, 12:22:14 pm »
That's a bit rough.  Did they know about your vision?  Surely they should have made some sort of provision whereby you had a less crowded lane?
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #119 on: 03 August, 2009, 12:25:15 pm »
Just entered.  Short pool swim, 20k bike route, 5k run.  It can't be that bad, surely?  

*recalls inability to swim or run*

Oh yes.  :-\

PB:  They say that they start you off one per lane, in three minute waves, so I can see how that might happen.

Maybe I should mainly train on busy Sunday afternoons...

« Reply #120 on: 03 August, 2009, 12:28:51 pm »
The bike loop is nice, all left turns where it matters.   Two laps.

The run is part tarmac, part path (or it used to be).   

If I wasn't sporting a swollen knee (three weeks now) and raging apathy I'd probably be tempted to join in.   Maybe next year...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #121 on: 03 August, 2009, 01:01:33 pm »
Just seen that a certain Mr Button did the bike leg in 1h03. Seriously impressive, faster than I can (probably) even without the swim and run to worry about. He did have a bit of wind tunnel time though..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

robgul

« Reply #122 on: 03 August, 2009, 02:22:49 pm »

Noted  :thumbsup:

Rob

I have had a message from daughter #2 - finished half-way down the field in the Sprints group - no problem except that the water had a strong smell of diesel!

My brother who was spectating, so I understand, has photographs

Rob

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #123 on: 03 August, 2009, 08:44:42 pm »
Mrs J came in at 2:35:35 which is causing some pride in the J household.

Bloody hell Mrs J – that’s an amazing time. Well done indeed. No wonder I never saw you on the course – too fast innit.

Nice one Pippa, sorry about missing the pub but I was a zombie. 

No worries. I had plenty of people fetching me plenty of booze :D Well done for yesterday. That run WAS a killer (I think the surface didn’t help either, or that bridge bit – well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it).

Just entered.  Short pool swim, 20k bike route, 5k run.  It can't be that bad, surely? 

*recalls inability to swim or run*

Oh yes.  :-\

:thumbsup: I hope you enjoy it Liz. Powder in your cycling shoes makes for an easier, sockless, quicker T1.
Oh, and if it was that bad, I wouldn’t have entered London 2010 today (my mouse accidentally slipped over the “Submit” button, honest guv) ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #124 on: 03 August, 2009, 10:14:41 pm »
I entered the draw for a free entry on Facebook.  ;)

The surface and the heat were tough, the ramps were baffling, but the only blame I have is for myself, really.  Must run moar.  Do you know which of the splits our transition times got rolled into?

And Liz - you just banged out the race distance for fun.  It's in the bag! :thumbsup: