Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126689 times)

Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #200 on: 08 October, 2012, 02:45:44 pm »
I always had the cheapskate resin cased versions - but the same electronics. They were a great watch, and do have a retro-chic appeal nowadays.

« Reply #201 on: 08 October, 2012, 03:00:29 pm »
Go on, you can tell us  :)

The servicing alone (and this is just a standard service) is £195.  The new strap will be £115.   :-\

dont... MrsMike bought me a lovely IWC as an anniversary present 5 years ago.  Its beautiful but keeps awful time and needs a service, it's going to be Four. Hundred. Pounds.  She'll kill me if I sell it, but that's bonkers.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #202 on: 08 October, 2012, 03:17:42 pm »
I am currently trying my best to keep away from Costco, why is this here? They have a stock of the only TAG I would be seen wearing, that being a Monaco, and they being about £2K less than list!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #203 on: 08 October, 2012, 03:24:45 pm »
Left handed and watch on the left.

That way I can tell the time if I am writing. Except that I don't wear a watch anymore and I rarely write.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #204 on: 08 October, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »
Doesn't everyone who's right handed wear their watch on the left?
No.  Observation at meetings suggests only about a 3:1 split in favour of the non-writing hand.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #205 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:05:15 pm »
If you have a watch that ever needs any adjustment, you have to take it off to do that, if you wear it on your right hand.

On the subject of Rolexes, pile of poo!  Mrs W has one which is quite a few years old, an oyster perpetual date something or other, still allegedly worth thousands.  Doesn't keep particularly good time, looks lumpy, costs a fortune to service every few years, and after 15 years the bracelet disintegrated, and cost about £200 to replace.  One service for that, cost more than all the watches I've ever owned in my 60 years, put together.

I'm afraid I just don't "get" watch one-upmanship.  Its a tool for telling the time, I just can't manage to view it in the way I might a camera or a cycle.  It either tells the right time, or it doesn't.
Wombat

« Reply #206 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »
I'm right handed and wear my watch on the left - less likely to get knocked / scratched
I tried that trick too but still managed to scratch the unscratchable glass.

Doesn't everyone who's right handed wear their watch on the left?
Since 100% of analogue watches I've seen are designed to be worn on the left wrist & wound or adjusted with the right hand, & winding or adjusting can easily be done with the non-writing hand, I don't understand why some people wear them on the wrong wrist. Why not use them in the way they're made to be used?

If you have a watch that ever needs any adjustment, you have to take it off to do that, if you wear it on your right hand.

I'm afraid I just don't "get" watch one-upmanship.  Its a tool for telling the time, I just can't manage to view it in the way I might a camera or a cycle.  It either tells the right time, or it doesn't.
1) Exactly!
2) Yup. I have a couple of watches (one bought, one a present from a former employer) which are smarter than the cheap Casio plastic watch I usually wear, & I wear one of them if I want to dress up. Otherwise, it's the Casio. It works in the rain & if dropped, keeps good time, & if it suffers an accident I can buy another one for £FEW.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #207 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:13:59 pm »
I don't care if people stick their watches up their arses.  I'd imagine time runs more slowly up there, though.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #208 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:17:30 pm »
I wear my watch on my right wrist - not because I'm left-handed, but because when I was a kid I played the accordian and if I had a watch on my left wrist it used to catch under the strap. Last time I was in CDG airport in Paris I saw a lovely Chopard Mille Miglia that was left-handed, i.e. winder on the left not the right. Luckily the shop was closed so I was saved the battle of head v. heart.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #209 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »
I always had the cheapskate resin cased versions - but the same electronics. They were a great watch, and do have a retro-chic appeal nowadays.

The terrorist watch of choice   ::-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Guantanamo_Bay_detainees_accused_of_possessing_Casio_watches

I've got two  :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #210 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »
Since 100% of analogue watches I've seen are designed to be worn on the left wrist & wound or adjusted with the right hand, & winding or adjusting can easily be done with the non-writing hand, I don't understand why some people wear them on the wrong wrist. Why not use them in the way they're made to be used?
In my case, because my father does.  I don't know why other right-right people do it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #211 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:55:41 pm »
I don't care if people stick their watches up their arses.  I'd imagine time runs more slowly up there, though.

Is that something to do with the Theory of Relativity and Black Holes?
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #212 on: 08 October, 2012, 08:37:58 pm »
I wear a watch for work. (Have to).
I rarely wear a watch at home. Unless it's a Polar and I'm burning calories :D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #213 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:53:16 pm »

On the subject of Rolexes, pile of poo!  Mrs W has one which is quite a few years old, an oyster perpetual date something or other, still allegedly worth thousands.  Doesn't keep particularly good time, looks lumpy, costs a fortune to service every few years, and after 15 years the bracelet disintegrated, and cost about £200 to replace.  One service for that, cost more than all the watches I've ever owned in my 60 years, put together.

I have my father's Rolex he got back in the early 1960s.  It works like a dream...

I don't mind spending money on a watch.  I have to wear a watch and I never take them off (last time I was without a watch for any length of I think was for surgery) so they have to be able to take a lot of abuse.  I also used to dive a lot, so they had to be waterproof to 200m and robust enough to deal with getting knocked about.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Phil W

« Reply #214 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:04:31 pm »
Gave up wearing a watch 18 years ago. Watch fell off rock climbing. Hadn't fixed it after 4 weeks;realised didn't need it. Like others say. Time shown everywhere you need it.  Where you can't see the time, probably not important

Regulator

« Reply #215 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:08:03 pm »
Mr R doesn't wear a watch (they're banned for clinicians who must be bare below the elbow).  He relies on his phone.

I can't get by without a watch.  I can't dive with a phone - or take one in the shower..  And you'd be surprised by how few clocks there are around these days.

Green Party Councillor

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #216 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:28:09 pm »
I am currently trying my best to keep away from Costco, why is this here? They have a stock of the only TAG I would be seen wearing, that being a Monaco, and they being about £2K less than list!!!!

Oh FFS!!!!!!!!! Why did you have to go and mention THAT? Bollocks!

I have to go to Costco tomorrow!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #217 on: 09 October, 2012, 01:05:04 am »
Mr R doesn't wear a watch (they're banned for clinicians who must be bare below the elbow).  He relies on his phone.

I can't get by without a watch.  I can't dive with a phone - or take one in the shower..  And you'd be surprised by how few clocks there are around these days.

My kids ask me the time and are disappointed if I am more than 5 mins out. I once won a competition which involved counting to a minute, except I drew with someone else. So we had a penalty shoot out - counting to two minutes. I was spot on.

Who needs a watch if they are vey odd.  :smug:
It is simpler than it looks.

fuzzy

« Reply #218 on: 09 October, 2012, 08:35:57 am »
In my case, because my father does.  I don't know why other right-right people do it.

SWMBO wears her watch on her right wrist (right handed) because, if she wears it on her left wrist it dies a strange and mysterious death (digital and analogue). I thought about burning her but, she might hold it against me.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #219 on: 09 October, 2012, 11:10:50 am »
My kids ask me the time and are disappointed if I am more than 5 mins out. I once won a competition which involved counting to a minute, except I drew with someone else. So we had a penalty shoot out - counting to two minutes. I was spot on.

I did that once in the Cub Scouts (for one minute) and was accused of cheating!  I wasn't even counting.  Just stood up when it felt like a minute.  Perhaps I subconsciously got a clue from the face of the watch watcher?

Anyway, I missed my watch yesterday.  Sometimes you want to know the time without being seen to clock-watch.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #220 on: 09 October, 2012, 03:15:17 pm »
I very hardly ever wear a watch, I bought this Seiko Sports 100 as a present to myself when I left Australia in 1980 and it still very accurate.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #221 on: 09 October, 2012, 05:25:00 pm »
Wow, that was fast.

I ordered my new watch from www.watchshop.com yesterday at 1230hrs, it arrived (free delivery) today at 0945hrs!

It took a bit of fiddling to set up - the instruction manual is definitely required! But fortunately I'm a RTFM kinda guy.

It's cool! It is pretty large and in charge, but I was hoping for that as I thought my Timex was too small on my wrist.

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-casio-g-shock-g-rescue-alarm-chronograph-watch-g-7900-1er-p99932159.html
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #222 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:54:04 pm »

SWMBO wears her watch on her right wrist (right handed) because, if she wears it on her left wrist it dies a strange and mysterious death (digital and analogue). I thought about burning her but, she might hold it against me.
First, throw her in the nearest body of water to see if she floats.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #223 on: 09 October, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »
Went about 5 years without wearing a watch but then saw this beauty

Which i wear daily. Strap has been replaced with a non-standard steel bracelet mind.
I get to work and put it on my desk then put it back on when i leave  ???

Then i bought this for best

Regulator

« Reply #224 on: 09 October, 2012, 10:53:15 pm »

First, throw her in the nearest body of water to see if she floats.

Funnily enough, I never used to be able to wear a nurses watch.  They always died on me.  Normal watches - no problem.

P.S.  I float...  ;)

Green Party Councillor