Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126696 times)

Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #300 on: 21 December, 2013, 06:43:04 pm »

« Reply #301 on: 21 December, 2013, 08:11:31 pm »
I wish waist coats would come back into fashion so I could wear a pocket watch.

Some of us have been known to wear wes'cots on forum rides, you know.  :smug:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #302 on: 22 December, 2013, 09:39:12 am »
Very neat piece of work.
Getting there...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #303 on: 22 December, 2013, 10:30:07 am »
Hmm, £123.  tempting....
Wombat

« Reply #304 on: 22 December, 2013, 08:50:32 pm »
Is it wrong to want one of these over the 'basic' model?

http://www.johnlewis.com/mondaine-a512-30358-16sbb-stop-2-go-unisex-leather-strap-watch/p592154

That's a Swiss Rail watch (SBB CFF FFS)... They're asking a crazy price considering you can get it from Swiss Rail here for less than half John Lewis' asking price:

http://www.sbbshop.ch/pub/index.php?page=goods&c=8&l=de&sbbsid=babf9af73eee4b84bc8151cbf6db576d&l=fr&l=de&l=fr&l=en

But, if you want a custom Swiss watch made in Martigny for less than that: http://www.121time.com/

The Stop 2 Go is 650 CHF, so JL's price is pretty good ... and I get a good discount :-)

http://www.sbbshop.ch/pub/index.php?page=goods-detail&id=258&c=1&sc=&sbbsid=pd4vaatgjqdi2eslvb0i9gfp10

Take a look at the video on the JL site.  I just like the way it mimics the real clock!

The regular ones start at about £150.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #305 on: 10 April, 2014, 12:29:47 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26920782

The Bradley Timepiece, a watch designed for blind people and named after a Paralympian gold medallist who lost his sight in Afghanistan, is up for design of the year at London's Design Museum. But it's mostly being bought by sighted people.

http://eone-time.com/shop.php
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #306 on: 10 April, 2014, 02:14:06 pm »
I seem to have acquired a small collection of watches. I wear a watch 24*7 regardless of what I'm doing.

An old dive watch that I had for 20 years. It died a couple of years after the numpty at the jewellers did the back up finger tight after a battery change and I noticed fogging after a session sailing1

An Eternal watch given to me to celebrate 15 years of service to my former employer. It died around the time I was outsourced, which seemed ironic.

My late father's Rotary watch which keeps good time but isn't waterproof, so it doesn't get used.

Currently using my late uncle's cheap2 Rolex presented to him in 1974 to celebrate 25 years with BP. It used to lose a minute a day. I took it to the watch shop to get a quote to have it cleaned and regulated. When I returned I was told it had been done and was charged 8 Euros! It now gains 2 minutes a day  :facepalm: A quote from a real watch repairer was a figure that would buy 10 good new battery watches.

1 If I had still been diving I would have had it pressure tested.
2 Cheap because it is a Rolex case, but with a cheap (and unreliable)  Tudor mechanism
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #307 on: 10 April, 2014, 02:39:51 pm »

The Bradley Timepiece, a watch designed for blind people and named after a Paralympian gold medallist who lost his sight in Afghanistan, is up for design of the year at London's Design Museum. But it's mostly being bought by sighted people.

I'm not surprised.  It's pretty, but blind people, like the rest of us are already carrying perfectly good multi-function gadgets to tell the time with.  Watches continue to be jewellery.

« Reply #308 on: 10 April, 2014, 08:10:26 pm »
Personally I think that there Bradley is wonderful.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #309 on: 10 April, 2014, 10:50:33 pm »
I've just seen one of those being worn by someone in real life. I was actually a bit disappointed with it; in the photos it looks very elegant, in real life it's a bit chunky and clunky. A shame, as from what I'd seen before I really liked it.

« Reply #310 on: 11 April, 2014, 09:59:45 am »
Watches continue to be jewellery.

If your wore a watch that didn't work and you knew it didn't work, it would be jewellery. Otherwise, it's functional gadget for telling the time...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #311 on: 11 April, 2014, 10:04:51 am »
My blind acquaintance uses a watch with a flip-up glass to read the time with. I told him about the Bradley, but got the impression that he'd need to touch it to really pass judgement. It looks to me like it would collect all sorts of much and gunge in the grooves.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #312 on: 11 April, 2014, 10:09:55 am »
Watches continue to be jewellery.

If your wore a watch that didn't work and you knew it didn't work, it would be jewellery. Otherwise, it's functional gadget for telling the time...

I think once a functional gadget for telling the time costs upward of a thousand pounds then it may have crossed over the "jewellery threshold".

Functional gadgets for telling the time to within a second per week cost about £10.

Let's not pretend that the watch you choose to wear is just about telling the time.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #313 on: 11 April, 2014, 10:22:05 am »
Functional gadgets for telling the time to within a second per week cost about £10.

Indeed (for a similar amount of money you can get one that will also make phone calls). I think it's worth spending a little more in the hope of better robustness and hence long-term reliability.

A friend of mine once owned a watch (we're talking mid 80s) that would speak the time when the side button was pushed. The slight inconvenience was that you had to know the relevant Japanese to be able to understand it.
Pen Pusher

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #314 on: 11 April, 2014, 10:22:17 am »
But, if you want a custom Swiss watch made in Martigny for less than that: http://www.121time.com/

I think to most people "Swiss Watch" implies a mechanical movement not Quartz/Battery.
I would always struggle to pay over £100 for a quartz movement because I can imagine the actual cost to make it would be nearer £1.
It's been Casio's greatest trick, to get people to pay hundreds of pounds for £5 watches.

I love the Mondaine face, it's the essence of clartity, but £450 for a quart movement, just because it has a wonky second hand?  I don't think so.

I'm fortunate enough to own my dad's old mechanical Mondaine.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Ruth

« Reply #315 on: 14 April, 2014, 09:04:33 pm »
This is my watch, pretty much.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Stainless-Bracelet-LA670WEA-1EF-Countdown/dp/B008R52I1Y/ref=sr_1_22?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1397505736&sr=1-22

My phone lives in my handbag with the old jelly babies and bits of dead skin and hair.  It's much easier to look at my wrist than furtle around in there.

For some reason, people tend to point at my watch in disbelief and say things like "are you stuck in 1984?  Who wears a digital watch?"

I do.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #316 on: 14 April, 2014, 09:09:27 pm »
My phone lives in my handbag with the old jelly babies and bits of dead skin and hair.  It's much easier to look at my wrist than furtle around in there.

That's where you're going wrong.  You can't feel your phone in a handbag.  [Insert rant about women's clothing not having proper pockets.]

Ruth

« Reply #317 on: 14 April, 2014, 09:12:47 pm »
All my coats have holes in the pockets.  Not all the pockets, mark you, but all the coats.  The phone always lands in the pocket with the hole.  But there's no point fixing the hole when you're a lazy cow and you've got at least one perfectly good pocket with no hole.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #318 on: 15 April, 2014, 12:08:19 am »
Ah yes, *memories of a particular well-loved coat where one of the pockets served as an access portal to all the useful stuff that had accumulated in the lining*

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #319 on: 01 July, 2014, 11:37:03 pm »
After the Vostok Amphibian, I have developed another obsession with an inexpensive yet highly-regarded automatic timepiece, the Seiko "Sea Urchin":

It's a bit of an homage to the Rolex Submariner without being a direct copy. The accuracy is stunning for a £130 watch - my Vostok was gaining over a minute a day but this gains about 4s a day, sometimes down to about 2s. I think I've got a good one as the specs are much looser than that.

« Reply #320 on: 01 July, 2014, 11:44:40 pm »
Currently i wear this one:

« Reply #321 on: 03 July, 2014, 10:15:38 am »
I got a Zenith Chronomaster 15 years ago as an engagement pressie. I stopped wearing it first when the leather strap disintegrated, then I bought a strap and promptly managed to crack the crystal on the first day of wearing it again. It's been sat in a drawer for about 10 years. My wife won't let me sell it, and I can't (or won't) afford to have it cleaned and repaired.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #322 on: 03 July, 2014, 01:41:42 pm »
My Casio G-Shock G-100 is slowly but surely dying on its arse.  The original rubber strap b0rked aeons ago, but the replacement webby velcro one is starting to look a bit secondhand too.  Plus it really needs a thorough cleaning, which would be easy enough if I could get it off without taking a hacksaw to the case.  Pressing the "Light" button renders the display invisible and the case is now held together with superglue - I don't think it ever recovered from the trike-rolling incident in Haywards Heath during the 2007 edition of El Supremo's 400.

Thus I have reverted to wearing a 34 year old Seiko quartz.  Yesterday someone told me the date was July 2nd.  Why, then, does the watch claim it's the 1st?  Oh, wait, these old-skool ones don't change gear automagically at the end of the month, do they :facepalm:

I may have to seek out a rufty-tufty replacement for the G-Shock when I go on my holibobs next month, but OTOH it's much easier to adjust the hands on the Seiko when having to deal with different time zones...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #323 on: 03 July, 2014, 05:11:45 pm »
In slightly less salubrious surroundings:

1972 Seiko automatic with non-original bracelet, 1980 Seiko quartz, ~2004 Casio G-Shock G-100
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #324 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:51:45 am »
*twitches OCDishly about the lack of sync*