Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126690 times)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #325 on: 04 July, 2014, 05:59:17 pm »
*sob*  After sliding up the road (with the rest of me attached) following an encounter with a diesel slick a while ago:

New glass and a bit of a clean, and it's as good as new nicely battle-scarred.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #326 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:59:33 pm »
I'm a little surprised to realize that I own 4 watches

a Scubapro divers watch
a Seiko gold plated dress watch
a Casio sports watch
a Polar heart monitor that can be worn with only the time being displayed

plus  of course a watch on the mobile phone;the latter now being the only one used.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #327 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:30:28 pm »
*sob*  After sliding up the road (with the rest of me attached) following an encounter with a diesel slick a while ago:

No wonder your watch says FFS!

« Reply #328 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:38:06 pm »

Just bought a Mondaine Stop2go .... it doesn't go out on the bike .... the Rolex GMT2 is for that!

« Reply #329 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:41:02 pm »

I have my father's Rolex he got back in the early 1960s.  It works like a dream...

Picture (please), or you haven't got it. ;)

« Reply #330 on: 05 July, 2014, 12:56:11 am »
I've just had my Rolex Explorer II returned (yesterday) after a service and new dial.

I’ve always quite liked the Explorer II.

My (sadly now gone) 1665 Sea Dweller:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #331 on: 05 July, 2014, 01:39:08 pm »
*twitches OCDishly about the lack of sync*

The two with flatteries are close enough for gubbinsment work.  The automatic was just fished out of a drawer and given a gentle shake and reset before heading back into the dark.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #332 on: 05 July, 2014, 02:29:14 pm »
I haven't worn a watch for a long time, there are far too many other ways to easily find out what the time is (PC display, front of Bluray player, cooker, mobile phone, GPS, bicycle computer etc).

On the other hand, Android Wear is tempting me to buy a new watch, just because of the lovely electronic geekery of it, but I think it needs to have a round face, like the Moto 360.  Most of the other Android Wear "watches" have square faces, which just look a bit like a shrunk mobile phone with a strap.

Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #333 on: 06 July, 2014, 10:09:30 pm »
I've just had my Rolex Explorer II returned (yesterday) after a service and new dial.

I’ve always quite liked the Explorer II.

My (sadly now gone) 1665 Sea Dweller:

How much did you sell it for?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #334 on: 24 July, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »

Old & new G-Shocks.  New one is as near as makes no odds 50mm across :o. If my wrist were any smaller...

red marley

« Reply #335 on: 25 July, 2014, 01:43:00 pm »
I've not been one for wearing a watch in the last couple of decades, but changes at work mean that I now spend much more of my time moving between meetings, so need to be able to glance at the time causally without making it look like I'm bored.

So I now have this wrapped around my feeble wrist. Very little in the way of frivels.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #336 on: 25 July, 2014, 01:52:07 pm »
^TMI!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #337 on: 25 July, 2014, 02:40:31 pm »
Bought myself a couple of watches for my 40th a couple of months ago that I've not shown off yet.

First up a Citizen Promaster automatic diver. I'm not a fan of gold and two tone watches but I don't mind this one at all and the price was too good to pass on. Most comfortable watch I own and the dial is lovely. I might pick up the all stainless, blue dial version of this if I can find one at a decent price.

The next one is another Citizen, an Ecodrive pilot this time. The strap it came on was a horrible stiff canvas thing that was too small so out came the tools and I made a nice leather strap for it. Much better now.

I've come to the conclusion that, as nice as automatics are, if you've got a few watches on rotation then Citizen's Ecodrive and Seiko's solar watches are fantastic.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #338 on: 28 July, 2014, 11:52:44 am »
Oh, they're *lovely*!

I'm still well impressed with my Citizen Eco-drive divers' watch.  It's been faultless.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #339 on: 28 July, 2014, 12:35:18 pm »
Normally I do, however today my wrist is showing the tan mark to full effect as the plastic link between the bracelet and the body has failed and it had already fallen off twice before I got onto the 06:13 train this morning.  >:(

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #340 on: 08 August, 2014, 02:51:28 am »
Time for a relaxing video on Setting and Regulating Pocket Watches:

http://youtu.be/qMQdXAZm044
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #341 on: 08 August, 2014, 01:03:50 pm »
From an aesthetic view I like a lot of the Skagen watches.  Normally simple and elegant.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #342 on: 08 August, 2014, 01:23:00 pm »
Kyuss, that Ecodrive Pilot is lovely!

I am thinking I need to rationalise my watches, and maybe get one or two new ones.

First things first, though, I still need to send my Rotary back to the factory to have 2 new batteries fitted.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #343 on: 28 August, 2014, 03:15:06 pm »
On the other hand, Android Wear is tempting me to buy a new watch, just because of the lovely electronic geekery of it, but I think it needs to have a round face, like the Moto 360.  Most of the other Android Wear "watches" have square faces, which just look a bit like a shrunk mobile phone with a strap. ....

LG have released some details of their G Watch R, which is the second Android Wear watch with a circular face.  I think I prefer the Moto 360, although both watches are pretty damned big, a 1.5" face for the Moto 360 and 1.3" for the G Watch R (which also has a larger bezel than the Moto 360, so is physically about the same width).

The Moto 360 is due to be released next week, on the 4th of September, and currently we know that it's got a Gorilla Glass 3 face, uses Qi wireless charging, and may last as long as 2½ days between charging!  Additionally, IP67 waterproofing should ensure that it isn't killed whilst washing the dishes.  At a price of $249 and probably the other side of £175 in the UK, it's not going to be cheap, but certainly doesn't appear to be too excessively priced.  However, there has been the suggestion that it's 13.5mm thick, which is possibly a little bit too silly for a comfortable watch.

I'm slightly amused that both watches have higher resolution screens than the highest resolution graphics mode of my first home computer!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #344 on: 28 August, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »
Never done it before, but it's prompted me to measure the depth of my black Victorinox Swiss Army watch, which is 8mm deep.

Hhmmm, 13.5mm. That'll be like having a matchbox on yer wrist isn't it?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #345 on: 28 August, 2014, 04:37:02 pm »
Never been much of a watch fetishist.  On the bike I wear a 20-year-old plastic Casio digital with a photoelectric heart-rate monitor built it. Apart from that and telling the time, its main function is to time my tea-bag.  Off the bike I wear a Seiko Sportsmaster 150 chrono dating from the mid-80s. Quite nice but the plating is wearing thin. Can't hear the alarm any more.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #346 on: 28 August, 2014, 06:43:01 pm »
I've just ordered this one:

« Reply #347 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:31:11 pm »
Never done it before, but it's prompted me to measure the depth of my black Victorinox Swiss Army watch, which is 8mm deep.

Hhmmm, 13.5mm. That'll be like having a matchbox on yer wrist isn't it?

The Seiko SKX007 is 13mm, that doesn't feel huge on my wrist unless I'm on the motorbike, when it gets in the way of my gloves.  Those android watches are certainly  chunky rather than elegant, but not unmanageable.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #348 on: 29 August, 2014, 01:20:39 am »
I aten't got a ruler handy but my G-Shock is about the same thickness as my iPod, which is said to be 13.5mm.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #349 on: 29 August, 2014, 09:20:14 am »
Not exactly 100% the same, but here's a pic of mine, and dial is 35mm across, so nice and legible:

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex