Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126694 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #350 on: 29 August, 2014, 09:25:12 am »
I've just ordered this one:

Not a brand I'm familiar with but some really nice watches on their website.

Thanks De Sisti...you may end up costing me a few hundred quid.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #351 on: 29 August, 2014, 09:32:12 am »
Never done it before, but it's prompted me to measure the depth of my black Victorinox Swiss Army watch, which is 8mm deep.

Hhmmm, 13.5mm. That'll be like having a matchbox on yer wrist isn't it?

I've just measured my Hamilton... 15mm.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #352 on: 29 August, 2014, 09:50:18 am »
Blimey! 15mm!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #353 on: 29 August, 2014, 09:58:20 am »
This one I'd have, but they're sold out. Oh, and I can't afford it either. Just as well.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #354 on: 29 August, 2014, 11:39:29 am »
My Torgoen is 15mm tall and 45mm wide.

PS I won it, I didn't buy it. But I quite like it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

« Reply #355 on: 29 August, 2014, 11:40:16 am »
My Torgoen is 15mm tall and 45mm wide.

How does you other half feel about that?

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #356 on: 29 August, 2014, 02:33:08 pm »
Somewhat surprisingly, my cooking Seiko is 10mm x 40mm.  It's one of those "kinetic" ones. And a day/date, which for some reason I find indispensable, and as such my choices are slightly limited.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #357 on: 29 August, 2014, 04:56:58 pm »
*sob*  After sliding up the road (with the rest of me attached) following an encounter with a diesel slick a while ago:

New glass and a bit of a clean, and it's as good as new nicely battle-scarred.
I have one of those, but I usually wear a <£10 Casio when cycling.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #358 on: 29 August, 2014, 09:53:37 pm »

@ Lee: Glad to be of service. ;)

This one I'd have, but they're sold out. Oh, and I can't afford it either. Just as well.
Other brands have pilot watches that look similar. I have An Aristo Pilot watch.
(Browse the catalogue in the link, pages 1-4, 8,9)

« Reply #359 on: 29 August, 2014, 10:08:07 pm »
I like the Rolex Explorer homage on the right.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #360 on: 29 August, 2014, 10:30:15 pm »
I like the Rolex Explorer homage on the right.
It's a Zeno Explorer which cost me £145. Despite its small size I find it easy to focus on (with my dodgy eyesight)
It's on a black/gold nato strap as of last Monday and (imo) looks fab.

I did think about an Explorer I (back in 1994), but eventually went for the white dial Explorer II; to have something
completely different from the dials on my brothers' watches.

« Reply #361 on: 05 September, 2014, 04:06:22 pm »
The Moto 360 has been released now, and the numbers I've seen say it's 11.5 mm thick, so compared to some of the watches that people on here have measured, not too bad.

The articles I've seen so far have been generally positive, although they often caveat it with statements about it being early days for smart watches and Google Wear.

One of the guys who produces Click for the Beeb posted these two links:

  Motorola shows us its Moto 360 Android smartwatch - Wired UK

  Motorola's long-awaited smartwatch is finally ready for your wrist - The Verge

Which make for interesting reading.  The US price is $249, and apparently the UK price will be £199 (although it's unclear how certain that number is).

Several people have said that they are lucky to get much over 12 hours battery life out of it, but I wonder how much that's down to the inevitable fiddling, experimentation, and demonstrating that will happen?  It may well be that early, pre-release review models, have sub-optimal battery lifes.  With the device now out there, live on the streets, I guess time will tell if the hardware or software has improved upon this.  12 hours would be a mite on the useless side, 24 hours has often been quoted as the minimum practical battery life for a watch.

It's tempting, but I think I can forego that much expenditure, since I rarely wear a watch.  I may wait and see how the technology, both on the hardware, the Operating System, and the applications, improves.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #362 on: 05 September, 2014, 08:05:38 pm »
The Moto 360 has been released now... Several people have said that they are lucky to get much over 12 hours battery life out of it...

A watch that's only usable for half a day? Sounds more of a Dumbwatch than a Smartwatch. One of many reasons why I will be wearing an automatic for the foreseeable future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #363 on: 05 September, 2014, 08:47:40 pm »
The Moto 360 has been released now... Several people have said that they are lucky to get much over 12 hours battery life out of it...

A watch that's only usable for half a day? Sounds more of a Dumbwatch than a Smartwatch. One of many reasons why I will be wearing an automatic for the foreseeable future.

The timing of the release is interesting, bearing in mind what I heard confirmed in a meeting yesterday. Trying to steala march springs to mind.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #364 on: 07 September, 2014, 09:57:29 am »
The timing of the release is interesting, bearing in mind what I heard confirmed in a meeting yesterday. Trying to steala march springs to mind.

Yes, it's been fairly widely quoted as being an attempt to take the wind out of Apple's sails.  If so, it'll be very interesting to see the iWatch, or whatever it ultimately ends up being called, assuming it exists!

« Reply #365 on: 14 December, 2014, 11:31:23 pm »
Was in the garage last week, and I found my old Seiko Automatic in an old tool box. It hadn't been worn for 6 years, and I absent mindedly put it in my pocket. When I took it out again, it was working, so I've been wearing it for a week. Enjoyed wearing an automatic watch again so much, I've just ordered an Orient Mako automatic dive watch.

« Reply #366 on: 15 December, 2014, 07:43:26 am »
I'm torn between the Moto G & LG G watch R

« Reply #367 on: 15 December, 2014, 10:39:17 am »
I'm torn between the Moto G & LG G watch R

I'm guessing you mean Moto 360, since I'm not aware of a Moto G watch.  Personally I think the thin bezel of the Moto 360 looks better, and could live with the slight abbreviation at the bottom, compared to the LG G Watch R.

However, given the combination of cost, and minimal battery life, which to be fair, isn't dramatically different from other less elegant smart watches, I think I'm going to continue to wait, and let manufacturers perfect their designs.  It wasn't that long ago that mobile phones were brick sized, so I suspect that the technology will improve dramatically in a relatively short time.

« Reply #368 on: 15 December, 2014, 01:40:10 pm »
Yup, the Moto 360.

I was toying with the pebble but not sure as the cost of the latest ones seem to be getting towards the Android Wear level.

« Reply #369 on: 15 December, 2014, 05:39:23 pm »
I'm contemplating the new FitBit watch, as something I might actually wear other than for the data it creates.

tiermat

« Reply #370 on: 14 April, 2015, 02:00:36 pm »
Following a discussion on Saturday, I find myself needing to buy either a) a watch box to hold 20 watches and a winder for 2 watches or b) a watch box that will hold the same and has a winder for same number (2) built in.

Any suggestions.

Before anyone says "Have fewer watches", I will point out that N+1 applies to watches, too :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Regulator

« Reply #371 on: 14 April, 2015, 02:07:03 pm »
Following a discussion on Saturday, I find myself needing to buy either a) a watch box to hold 20 watches and a winder for 2 watches or b) a watch box that will hold the same and has a winder for same number (2) built in.

Any suggestions.

Before anyone says "Have fewer watches", I will point out that N+1 applies to watches, too :)

Something I simply cannot get Mr R to understand - in relation to bikes or watches...

Green Party Councillor

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #372 on: 14 April, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »
Never heard about that before, am I getting this right it's a automatical apparatus that wind up your watch?

Hmm, I always felt that is the main part and the enjoyment of wearing a watch that needs to be hand, well rather fingers, wound up.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tiermat

« Reply #373 on: 14 April, 2015, 02:24:19 pm »
If you have an automatic, and don't wear it that often, the life is prolonged by using and automatic winder, basically your watch sits in a small circular thing which revolves and keeps the action going.

I have 2 now, one pukka Seiko that belonged to my late Uncle and a Breitling replica that Mrs T brought back from Bahrain.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #374 on: 14 April, 2015, 02:27:12 pm »
If you have an automatic, and don't wear it that often, the life is prolonged by using and automatic winder, basically your watch sits in a small circular thing which revolves and keeps the action going.

When I'm away cycling I put mine on the missus.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight