Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126691 times)

Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #375 on: 14 April, 2015, 02:29:35 pm »
Never done it before, but it's prompted me to measure the depth of my black Victorinox Swiss Army watch, which is 8mm deep.

Hhmmm, 13.5mm. That'll be like having a matchbox on yer wrist isn't it?

I've just measured my Hamilton... 15mm.

I missed that back then  ;D

I confess, I have been tempted to get my vanity plate watch for many a year, just never succumbed.

« Reply #376 on: 13 August, 2015, 12:12:29 pm »
Just bought this one from Argos for £13.50 (reduced)

Always find Casio reliable, and this one has a bi-directional rotating bezel (smooth / no-clicks), 100M water resist, and nice and lightweight.  The plastic/glass face is 3.1cm in diameter.  No LED illumination though, but for the price...

Luminox for 1/100 the price?   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #377 on: 13 August, 2015, 12:34:55 pm »

£7, more or less. Wear one for all those things where a watch might get damaged, such as decorating or  gardening. Well, most of the time, really, & put the nice one on only when I remember to smarten up a bit.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #378 on: 20 October, 2015, 10:39:12 am »
Found these:

http://www.avi-8.co.uk/

The MSRP is a bit steep, but joining SportPursuit does have it's uses as they are a 1/4 of the price therein.

I am seriously considering buying the Hawker Hunter black face with red hands.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #379 on: 20 October, 2015, 02:05:43 pm »
I've got my grandfather's (pretty old) Omega Constellation in the safe at home - I believe it's quite valuable (£800ish).  I wore it for a good few years but the self-winding stopped working and I don't trust / haven't trusted any of the jewellers in my locale to get it fixed.  Now I just wear my Garmin Forerunner all the time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #380 on: 29 December, 2015, 06:55:45 pm »
Been fettling today. Well a jewellers has.

First a new battery for this baby. The last jewellers it visited said that the watch was F ukd. It isn't. It is nice to see it working as it was a prize; it flew in next to the Vulcan, flying with Andy Hill, who then presented it to me, and also who sadly has appeared on an aviation thread recently.

Secondly a new strap for this one. My grandfather's watch. Butchered by an Edinburgh jewellers 40 or so years ago, who removed the secondhand spindle rather than fix it. I wasn't given the second hand, or the spindle. Which, according to my local watch guy, means a rather hopeful eBay search for the part. The mechanism is standard, but the added moon/date/month/day bits mean that the some parts are very rare.

It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #381 on: 30 December, 2015, 07:31:48 am »
Haven't counted, but I probably own eight or ten watches from a very cheap swatch, Casio digital job, through my most often used citizen eco drive which looks more expensive than it is.

My favourites though are the mechanical watches inherited from my granddad, most of which need a good service and which I wouldn't risk at work.

And the of course there's the very functional garmin 920.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #382 on: 30 December, 2015, 08:44:58 am »
I also have a citizen. It sports a commando logo and I like to imagine gives me a certain special forces like attitude, and commands respect. A manly timepiece.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #383 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:36:26 am »
Looked up the service cost for a 40 odd year old Omega I have. Don't think I will be bothering.  :jurek:   I could buy a couple of Seiko/Citizen chronographs instead.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #384 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:06:17 am »
You do not own a citizen, you are one for the good of the nation.

Or something like that. It seems an odd name to choose for a watch.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #385 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:25:55 am »
Looked up the service cost for a 40 odd year old Omega I have. Don't think I will be bothering.  :jurek:   I could buy a couple of Seiko/Citizen chronographs instead.

I can't quite recommend as I haven't got my four old watches back yet (1 x 40, 1 x 30 year old Omega, 20 year Longines, 1 other), but Brendan at http://webwatchmaker.com/ is worth a call, I found him very sympatico; there are other independent watchmakers out there who will do a reasonable job.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #386 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:48:25 am »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) took his Rolex into the jewellers for a service a while back, but they refused to touch it as "you haven't got the receipt and it might be stolen".  Since he bought it in Aden en route to failing to quell the Mau Mau Uprising finding the receipt was always going to be a problem but he managed to unearth the paperwork from the last time it had been serviced, via the offices of the same jewellers, which seemed to placate them.

He hasn't got it back yet, though.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #387 on: 30 December, 2015, 05:29:34 pm »
I like a nice watch but I dislike wearing one. Just gets in the way, catches on stuffs etc.
Unfortunately I was bought one for christmas (not a good one, i hope he didn't pay much for it) and will ahve to wear it on New Years day to ensure people are happy.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #388 on: 31 December, 2015, 12:09:57 pm »
Perhaps you need a pocket watch?

« Reply #389 on: 06 January, 2016, 01:57:13 am »
I've never really worn a watch. But I do wear my Apple watch  ;D

« Reply #390 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:39:40 am »
Did anyone watch that programme about what the elite super-rich spend their money on?

Among other things,old watches apparently.  Some fetch millions.

Check your sock drawers!
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #391 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:09:26 am »
Every so often the INYT runs a watch supplement under the heading "A Cut Above".  I'd stop the bloody thing if they didn't have the funnies.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #392 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:29:37 am »
I have acquired two new watches in December ! Had multiple straps fail over the last few months and that plus the battery going in one watch and the Seiko automatic deciding suddenly to gain an hour a day meant that although I have nine watches none of them were serviceable bar the Breitling which I don't like to wear all the time. Trip to local jewellers ensued but the guy who changes the batteries and straps was on holiday so an emergency Casio was bought from Amazon.

Solar powered, five alarms, changes easily to different timezones plus its easy to read without glasses on (well the analogue bit is anyway). Whats not to like for £30. Lume isnt great but at that price it never is,

Then for Christmas Mrs Pcolbeck but me an analogue G-Shock. A stealth model.

Very readable analogue display to say the markers are grey on black background. The reversed LCD is unredable except under a desk light though. I love it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #393 on: 06 January, 2016, 12:37:59 pm »
Much to Mrs T's dismay I bought a new watch, just before Christmas.

This one is great for on the bike wear, it being big, waterproof and high contrast:

It's aSpinnaker Dynamic, cost me ~£70
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #394 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:23:47 pm »
Did anyone watch that programme about what the elite super-rich spend their money on?

Among other things,old watches apparently.  Some fetch millions.

Check your sock drawers!

Or your lockups. You never know, you might have the watch like Del Boy had kicking around gathering dust.

I've got a box full of watches, so if any billionaires are reading this I'm open to offers. Most of them work. Some of them are even made of metal rather than plastic.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #395 on: 13 January, 2016, 05:11:13 pm »
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #396 on: 15 March, 2016, 07:53:44 pm »
As Mrs P and I are off on an Adventure, we've bought new (sacrificial) watches. Remember these? £6 on Amazon.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #397 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »
Had one of them once.  Cost about two quid and you got a cycling magazine thrown in :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #398 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:21:59 pm »
Back when everything matt black was COOLas an 8 on its side.  8)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #399 on: 15 March, 2016, 09:54:59 pm »
As Mrs P and I are off on an Adventure, we've bought new (sacrificial) watches. Remember these? £6 on Amazon.

Erm, you do realise that our ape-descended security services are so amazingly primitive that they still think that F91W-based detonators are a pretty neat idea?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W#Claimed_use_in_terrorism