Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126691 times)

Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #400 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:03:12 pm »
Take a fiver Pancho?   ;)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #401 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:10:22 pm »
As Mrs P and I are off on an Adventure, we've bought new (sacrificial) watches. Remember these? £6 on Amazon.

Well, it worked. Even forgot to take it off for snorkling - which really should have killed it. But despite uncertainty about its water resistant-ness, no sign of leaks.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #402 on: 07 April, 2016, 09:17:09 pm »
One of these might be handy for nibbles on an audax:

Phil W

« Reply #403 on: 07 April, 2016, 10:33:26 pm »
Not since 1995 when it released from my wrist mid move up a rock climb.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #404 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:34:45 pm »
I have seen a few Apple Watches around work.  They look even crappier than in photos, especially on old men in suits.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #405 on: 13 April, 2016, 02:17:57 pm »
How about a new Nixie watch?  https://youtu.be/7T22CdK4MDQ

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #406 on: 13 April, 2016, 03:38:07 pm »
I have seen a few Apple Watches around work.  They look even crappier than in photos, especially on old men in suits.

The watch which requires you to carry a phone (with time on it) to utilize its functions

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #407 on: 13 April, 2016, 03:42:13 pm »

The watch which requires you to carry a phone (with time on it) to utilize its functions

Smart watches are best thought of as accessibility add-ons for smartphones, rather than stand-alone devices.  They seem eminently useful if they enable you to know when your phone is notifying you of things, or when all your interaction with the device is through audio rather than the screen.

If enough nerds and willy-wagglers buy them to keep them viable as a mainstream product, then it's a win.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #408 on: 26 April, 2016, 12:36:27 pm »
My father loved watches and had a good collection. He sold the Breitling when he knew he had a terminal illness but kept a very nice Omega Automatic which we are keeping.

I have decided I want to buy myself a nice decent automatic watch as a memorial to him which will hopefully last me decades. I'm thinking of spending up to £2,000 and am after a Swiss or German movement. I need a large face (not a lady's watch) as I am big, but don't like fussiness. I would like date and maybe day of the week, but no complicated chronograph options.

Current shortlist of manufacturers (from whom I have requested catalogues) are Sinn, Mühle Glashütte and Momos Glashütte. Oris don't seem to have a catalogue option.

Can anyone offer any other recommendations?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #409 on: 26 April, 2016, 12:49:09 pm »
Sinn would be a good choice. Tutima make some nice watches as well.
Maybe Eterna ? I always wanted an original Eterna Kontiki as worn by Thor Heyerdahl.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #410 on: 26 April, 2016, 12:59:41 pm »
Stowa make some nice ones, or the new Tudors ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #411 on: 26 April, 2016, 01:03:04 pm »
Smart watches are best thought of as accessibility add-ons for smartphones, rather than stand-alone devices.  They seem eminently useful if they enable you to know when your phone is notifying you of things, or when all your interaction with the device is through audio rather than the screen.

Now that's an idea. The missus never hears her phone.  :thumbsup:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #412 on: 26 April, 2016, 02:25:29 pm »

Now that's an idea. The missus never hears her phone.  :thumbsup:

Now she can never hear her watch instead!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #413 on: 26 April, 2016, 03:00:15 pm »
Aye but it could zap her wrist or something.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #414 on: 26 April, 2016, 03:03:47 pm »
That's the idea.  The watch vibrates against your wrist where you can feel it, rather than in your bag where you can't.  [Insert rant about women's clothing having crap pockets.]

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #415 on: 26 April, 2016, 03:07:54 pm »
Yesterday I saw a bloke walking along holding his smart watch to his mouth, off his wrist, and talking into it like a phone.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #416 on: 26 April, 2016, 04:02:07 pm »
I'm getting urges.  Might wait for the Sony SW4.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #417 on: 26 April, 2016, 05:57:57 pm »
That's the idea.  The watch vibrates against your wrist where you can feel it, rather than in your bag where you can't.  [Insert rant about women's clothing having crap pockets.]

Of course she'd still have to put it on... she's not fond of big clunky watches. Hard sell.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #418 on: 26 April, 2016, 06:53:10 pm »
I heard that some of those Fitbit things can do notifications over bluetooth, though haven't really looked into it.  It's the sort of thing that baratka would find useful, but her left wrist is tiny (her left hand lacks the dexterity to operate a digital watch, so it would have to go on her left), so a chunky smartwatch wouldn't really work.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #419 on: 26 April, 2016, 07:49:29 pm »
I'm hoping the next Sony smartwatch will be more compact than most.  I'll enjoy seeing notifications of my wrist to save getting my phone out.  That is if I fancy wearing a watch again at all.

« Reply #420 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:16:46 am »
I wonder - would it be nifty or naff for me to wear a Hamilton watch (my RL first name)? I confess I have been considering this for 50+ years, since the first time I saw them advertised, and done nothing about it.

« Reply #421 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:42:08 am »
So long as it's a nifty model, nifty; both they and you have been using the name for a while.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #422 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:46:47 am »
If you've been thinking of it for over fifty years I would suggest you JFDI and anyone who thinks it's naff is a big poo.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #423 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:49:46 am »
Of course the niftiness quotient would be at super-frosty levels if you could find a vintage one appropriate to your age.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #424 on: 13 May, 2016, 11:49:17 am »
My watch arrived today - A Mühle Glashütte Antaria Tag/Datum.

In lots of lights it has a slightly gold tinge to the face. The photos all look silver.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk