Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126682 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #550 on: 05 August, 2019, 08:30:00 pm »

That looks like it might make a worthy successor to my old G-Shock which firstly forgot how to cope with BST and then died altogether.  At the moment I'm back using a near forty year old Seiko which doesn't change date at the right time any more.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #551 on: 05 August, 2019, 08:34:07 pm »
Good travelling watch as well as it does World Time. Press the top two buttons together and it swaps between two selected timezones. The hands and the digital display basically swap. When you get back to your home timezone do it again and they swap back. It has DST as well.

What I want is the functions of the Casio in a watch that looks like the Timex (plus a small digital display obviously).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #552 on: 05 August, 2019, 09:22:46 pm »
Just crossed the Mega-Global Big River Corporation of Seattle USAnia's palm with silver plastic.

Martin

« Reply #553 on: 09 August, 2019, 01:23:41 pm »
I'm one of those people for whom mechanical watches die (automatics are OK but lose too much time) and battery watches run out after about 2 weeks after having replaced the original.

I have a Seiko Kinetic which is fab but too expensive to wear out cycling and a Citizen Eco-Drive, both keep perfick time

« Reply #554 on: 10 November, 2019, 11:12:59 pm »
https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?460804-Now-that%92s-how-you-do-a-special-edition!-(VC-for-Harrods)

I must pop into Harrods next time I'm in London.  That's rather lovely. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #555 on: 10 November, 2019, 11:52:01 pm »
I'm one of those people for whom mechanical watches die (automatics are OK but lose too much time) and battery watches run out after about 2 weeks after having replaced the original.

I have a Seiko Kinetic which is fab but too expensive to wear out cycling and a Citizen Eco-Drive, both keep perfick time

I think for £75 that's hard to beat as an everyday watch. I bought one a year or so ago. It's correct to 1 second a month, but has the option of correcting itself every night if you want it to. My only problem with it is that the date is in MMDD format.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #556 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:00:26 am »
I borrowed an old Citizen Eco Drive off Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) for a while but it couldn't get enough light to keep it in electricity and kept stopping.  My fault for not going out enough, perhaps, but the solar-propelled Casio wot I have now seems happy with living indoors.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #557 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:04:53 am »
I borrowed an old Citizen Eco Drive off Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) for a while but it couldn't get enough light to keep it in electricity and kept stopping.  My fault for not going out enough, perhaps, but the solar-propelled Casio wot I have now seems happy with living indoors.
The capacitor is supposed to store enough energy for the watch to run 6 months in total darkness, so that's odd. Do capacitors degrade over time? I suppose they do.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #558 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:25:13 am »

ECO drives need a proper charging if they have been allowed to run flat. You need to leave it in the sunlight for 24 hours and after that it should be able to trickle charge itself OK.

Charging guide:

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/recharging-guide.html

« Reply #559 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:43:32 am »
I bought a Timex Ironman for, well stopwatch duties and keeping track of time when kayaking. It is an ugly lump of waterproof plastic.

Since buying it, I've started wearing it now and then, just because it has reminded me how convenient it is to be able to check the time with a glance at your wrist (vs dragging a phone out of pocket, squint at screen, oh, I have to unlock it etc).

My daughter commented on "what a nice watch you are wearing". Shows how modern aesthetics have changed. Chunky lumps are 'nice'.

It is a butt-ugly lump. To a young person's eyes, it is an attractive watch.

Functionally, it is a bloody bargain. Easy-to use buttons, good backlight, actually waterproof for swimming down to a reasonable depth. Under £30.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #560 on: 11 November, 2019, 09:47:56 am »
I bought a Timex Ironman for, well stopwatch duties and keeping track of time when kayaking. It is an ugly lump of waterproof plastic.

Since buying it, I've started wearing it now and then, just because it has reminded me how convenient it is to be able to check the time with a glance at your wrist (vs dragging a phone out of pocket, squint at screen, oh, I have to unlock it etc).

My daughter commented on "what a nice watch you are wearing". Shows how modern aesthetics have changed. Chunky lumps are 'nice'.

It is a butt-ugly lump. To a young person's eyes, it is an attractive watch.

Functionally, it is a bloody bargain. Easy-to use buttons, good backlight, actually waterproof for swimming down to a reasonable depth. Under £30.

It takes the young a few years of living to develop an appreciation for true beauty and style....

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #561 on: 11 November, 2019, 12:23:14 pm »

ECO drives need a proper charging if they have been allowed to run flat. You need to leave it in the sunlight for 24 hours and after that it should be able to trickle charge itself OK.

Charging guide:

It used to spend its not-being-worn time at Fort Larrington in the bathroom, which has one of them light pipe things in it, and was thus in receipt of plenty of photons.  Didn't take long to stop when it was on my wrist, though, so I reckon it's probably fuXX0rd.

« Reply #562 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:33:29 pm »

Charging guide:

It used to spend its not-being-worn time at Fort Larrington in the bathroom, which has one of them light pipe things in it, and was thus in receipt of plenty of photons.  Didn't take long to stop when it was on my wrist, though, so I reckon it's probably fuXX0rd.

Yes sounds borked.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #563 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:54:36 pm »

Charging guide:

Yes sounds borked.

Yup.

I've only once had to charge my ECO drive, and that was when it was new. I put it in direct sunlight in my car window while driving west along the M4 one summer's evening, so it must have been a long time ago, because I haven't had a car for over 10 years. It recently spent a month or so in a rucksack pocket and didn't require any charging. And that month without a wristwatch convinced me of the convenience of being able to know the time with a glance at my wrist.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #564 on: 12 November, 2019, 12:25:22 am »
Do capacitors degrade over time? I suppose they do.

Depends on what they're molished from, but most electrolytics (which is what I'd expect in this sort of application) do.  They also don't like temperature extremes, and various forms of electrical abuse that aren't likely to happen in a watch.  The market was flooded with dodgy ones in the early noughties, as anyone who replaced motherboards will testify, which might be relevant.

ETA: But it appears that these watches use Lithium-titanate rechargeable batteries, instead.  Better energy density than a capacitor, and good for many more charge cycles than the usual Li+ chemistries, but they will deteriorate over time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #565 on: 12 November, 2019, 12:25:48 am »
You need to leave it in the sunlight for 24 hours

That sounds ...challenging.

« Reply #566 on: 12 November, 2019, 04:42:04 am »

I'm one of those people for whom mechanical watches die (automatics are OK but lose too much time) ..
Not all mechanical watches lose too much time. If you service your watch regularly it should
fairly accurate.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #567 on: 12 November, 2019, 08:30:31 am »
You need to leave it in the sunlight for 24 hours

That sounds ...challenging.
It wasn't specified that the hours had to be continuous.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #568 on: 12 November, 2019, 08:32:09 am »

I'm one of those people for whom mechanical watches die (automatics are OK but lose too much time) ..
Not all mechanical watches lose too much time. If you service your watch regularly it should
I don't recall the mechanical watches I've owned in the past being noticeably inaccurate but they did all die or reach a point where the work needed to keep them going was more than I was prepared to invest in time, money and inconvenience.

« Reply #569 on: 12 November, 2019, 02:32:59 pm »

I don't recall the mechanical watches I've owned in the past being noticeably inaccurate but they did all die or reach a point where the work needed to keep them going was more than I was prepared to invest in time, money and inconvenience.
My longest owned mechanical watch was purchased in 1993 and sold in February 2019 (for more
than twice it's cost price). Serviced every 4 - 5 years it was very accurate (+3 seconds per day).
Its successor gains +2 seconds per day. The other 4 mechanical watches I own (purchased
between 2007 and 2016) are all accurate up to > + 7 seconds per day. As with any mechanical
device, they need to be serviced on a regular basis.

« Reply #570 on: 12 November, 2019, 03:27:47 pm »
I’m wearing a 1960’s  hand wound Omega Seamaster, which I’ve had for 34 years.  It’s been serviced once in that time. Probably overdue some TLC!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #571 on: 13 November, 2019, 03:33:52 pm »
My Citizen EcoDrive (my 3rd) just works.  No need to put it anywhere bright, ever.  It just, well, works........

Brilliantly.

« Reply #572 on: 13 November, 2019, 11:23:34 pm »

My longest owned mechanical watch was purchased in 1993 and sold in February 2019 (for more
than twice it's cost price). Serviced every 4 - 5 years it was very accurate (+3 seconds per day).
Its successor gains +2 seconds per day. The other 4 mechanical watches I own (purchased
between 2007 and 2016) are all accurate up to > + 7 seconds per day. As with any mechanical
device, they need to be service on a regular basis.

My current everyday watch is a Seiko 5 automatic I've grown rather fond of. Simple, not flashy, understated, utilitarian, good value. It gains 1-2 seconds per day. In my experience, for best accuracy, automatics need daily wearing. The stop/start of occasional use results in reduced accuracy.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #573 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:07:49 pm »

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #574 on: 10 February, 2021, 07:51:55 pm »
Is your watch a "tortured performance of superiority"?

That is really what this thread is about.

Having started the thread a long time ago when I didn't wear a watch, I have since become a bit of a watch tart. I ordered another Tissot this morning, to keep my existing one company.

The loss of humanity I could live with.