Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126676 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Wearing a watch
« on: 16 September, 2009, 09:39:45 pm »
I've got a fairly battered Seiko watch which cost me about £70 15 or so years ago. It still works OK but I haven't worn it for a long time. These days I've nearly always got my mobile phone on me, the bike always has a Cateye and if I've got the Garmin I have the time permanently displayed above the map.

I've just noticed that my old Seiko has stopped and I was wondering whether to buy a new battery for it, but it hardly seems worth it.

Who else has given up watch wearing these days?
The loss of humanity I could live with.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2009, 09:40:48 pm »
Vladimir Putin?
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2009, 09:48:59 pm »
The last time I wore a watch was around March/April 2004. Funnily enough it too is an old Seiko, an automatic model, that I bought myself as a 21st birthday present. It still works after a little wobblin' but it no longer winds up.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:21:05 pm »
Watched have moved from timekeepers to art-fashion pieces.  Some of the contemporary designs are great - just look at watchisimo.com.  I crave a Russian 24-hour one, and some of the wacky handless Zen fests...

Projects Past, Present, and Future designed by Daniel Will-Harris

Mr. Jones The Accurate "Remember you will die" Watch designed by UK artist Crispin Jones

My HRM also happens to be a watch; I don't wear it on non-training days.  :)

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:28:27 pm »
My watches are made by Apple and Garmin.

I do have a wrist watch too. In fact I have two. My favourite was given to my by Mrs Jaded on our wedding day. It has been washed once and still works. My other one I bought when I flew to the USandA two years ago. I didn't want to have my best watch stolen or inserted into a previously unknown body cavity by customs.

Actually I lied. I have four wristwatches.
I still have my first one, which glows in the dark and if you get too close to it your hair falls out.
I have my Dad's watch. It shows the phases of the moon. Watch menders drool over it.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:31:30 pm »
I have a couple of watches - Next ones - but I don't wear them.

I got out of the habit when packing trucks.  Getting a hand caught under an amp rack because you have a watchstrap in the way isn't funny.  The same reason I don't wear any jewellery.  But, even now I don't work there any more, I don't like having anything around my wrists.  I've tried wearing watches, but it never lasts.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:34:03 pm »
I have a couple of watches - Next ones - but I don't wear them.

I got out of the habit when packing trucks.  Getting a hand caught under an amp rack because you have a watchstrap in the way isn't funny.  The same reason I don't wear any jewellery.  But, even now I don't work there any more, I don't like having anything around my wrists.  I've tried wearing watches, but it never lasts.
And when you spend a lot of time with someone who has 12 or so and is never without one, you don't need to worry so much :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:36:15 pm »
That's true.  :) :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:40:41 pm »
I wear a watch most of the time, but take them off when doing manual stuff or sometimes when working on the computer. I have a nice Tissot chronograph for "best" - one of their cheapest models, so quite slim and understated rather than chunky and in-yer-face. I've also got a Pulsar kinetic that I tend to wear when doing stuff that might damage the Tissot, and a cheap Timex with webbing strap that I wear when doing long bike rides (as the metal bracelets on the other two can rub on rough roads).

I hate not having one on my wrist, even if I do always have other means of telling the time.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:50:32 pm »
Mrs. Wow still wears a Pulsar digital watch I bought for her when she was breastfeeding our younger son so that she could time each side to the second.

She has changed the battery once, when he was about 15. He's 25 next week so in another 5 years she might have to change it again.

And before anyone makes any comments about is he a prop forward and did she stick them through the school railings, no. She breast fed each of our 4 kids for about their first 6 months. I've had a monopoly since then.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Rob S

« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:53:41 pm »
Ony time I don't wear a watch is in bed, in the bath and on my bike.

« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:57:19 pm »
Who else has given up watch wearing these days?

Me. I've had a few nice watches, in another life:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2009, 10:59:50 pm »
bitty...
It is simpler than it looks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #13 on: 16 September, 2009, 11:10:01 pm »
I like watches, but never got round to getting a nice one. I've had an entry-level quartz TAG since 1993 - I like it because it's not so big and I don't think I could carry off a big chunky thing with my little girly wrists. The unidirectional bezel is very useful for timing pasta. When/if I get a job I will have to check out a Speedmaster Professional... I've been thinking about it too long.

Whenever I see somebody root around in their pockets to squint at a mobile phone, I think "no class..." And as for the Cateye - the clock on every one I've had has been laughably inaccurate.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 16 September, 2009, 11:47:16 pm »
Funnily enough, I've recently started wearing a watch again after several years.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #15 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:05:00 am »
I usually wear a watch most days - find it strange not wearing one.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #16 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:12:50 am »
I want a wrist strap that I can attach my Cateye to, to use as a watch when I'm not riding the bike. In the meantime I wear a cheap Casio watch and bung the Cateye in a pocket.

« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:52:15 am »
I seldom leave home without my watch.  On wrist unless cycling when it's in a pocket.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:06:11 am »
I like that past, present, future watch a lot! I haven't worn a watch for years!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:13:57 am »
I've tried not wearing a watch.  It feels odd.

I don't have a posh watch and I'm not too concerned about that.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #20 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:44:44 am »
Well I started wearing a watch a year ago.

Didn't for years but had to start again.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2009, 02:47:07 am »
I don't wear a watch, haven't done for many years. I don't wear any jewellery - not even my wedding ring. Not for any practical reasons, I just don't like the feel of it.

Shame, cos a nice big chunky chronograph would be cool.

Not that I need one - I usually have several other devices that tell the time at my disposal, ie phone, computer, iPod etc.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #22 on: 17 September, 2009, 06:22:36 am »
I like wearing a watch. For me, as a bloke, it's the only "jewellery" I would wear.

I have two posh watches, both of which I love.  I can only properly justify one of them, which is a design classic and I'd admired for years before I bought my own. The other one was entirely a vanity/ego purchase and I'm still a bit embarrassed about it, lovely watch though.

I also have two work watches, a Casio G-Shock and a CWC G10. I take an almost perverse pleasure in seeing just how much abuse these can take. The seals on the G10 gave up in 45 degree desert heat combined with choking humidity, so I retired it with honours. The G Shock has so far proved un-killable, despite my best efforts. The face on it currently feels like emery paper because of all the swarf embedded in it.

Watches are groovy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 17 September, 2009, 07:12:29 am »
I'm a watch addict.  I can't do without one - I feel naked and uneasy without a watch on.  And they have to be big - not flashy but big enough for you to notice that you're wearing it.

Watches are one of the things that I'll spend money on and I have quite a collection of expensive watches - including a rare Rolex that I inherited from my father and which forms part of my pension pot.  My current every day watch is a Hamilton automatic and I brought it as a treat when I was made redundant and got a big payout.

I blame my father for my watch addiction.  He knew a lot of the importers/retailers of the good brands and so had access to watches before they went on general release.  I have one of the first Seiko Kinetics ever made and it is on loan to the Seiko museum.

Mr R is the complete opposite.  He rarely wears a watch, instead relying on his mobile phone.  I bought him a lovely watch for his birthday a few years ago and it spends most of its time on the dressing table.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #24 on: 17 September, 2009, 07:17:21 am »
I take mine off when I'm on holiday, it instantly relaxes me and is nearly as good as turning my blackberry off.  8 hours to go till I can take it off again for a week  :thumbsup:

I'm slightly very* OCD about being late for work stuff, so couldnt cope with not wearing one during the week.

* - edited when Mrs Mike read what I was typing and laughed at the 'slightly'.