Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126696 times)

Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #25 on: 17 September, 2009, 07:27:44 am »
I wear mine continuously, 24 hours per day for months at a time. It's a fairly mundane Animal sports watch which tells the date and has a uni-directional bezel, but it's pretty much spot on for a watch. I'd love it if it had an alarm, but I'm not especially bothered that it doesn't.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #26 on: 17 September, 2009, 07:30:50 am »
My Timex Ironman has just packed up after a few year.  I now have a Sekonda.  I've always fancied a 'proper' watch but have never had the money really.  I quite like the look of those Citizen solar powered jobbies with the perpetual calendar.

« Reply #27 on: 17 September, 2009, 07:43:52 am »
I've got a watch somewhere, but I haven't worn it in a decade or more, so I suspect the battery has run down, wherever it is.

I gave up wearing watches when I realised I would glance at my watch to see what the time was, and ten seconds later not remember what it said. :o

If I need to know what the time is, I can check on any number of places, a PC obviously, the VCR, the cooker, the clock radio next to my bed, the GPS, the Cycle Computer, and any number of other places which I've probably forgotten.
Actually, it is rocket science.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #28 on: 17 September, 2009, 07:47:27 am »
I always wear a watch, if strangly naked without one.  Just to be certain that I will have one that: a) looks good b) doesn't have a flat battery c) is relatively accurate I own 8 watches at the moment!

These are, in no particular order of preference:
1) A Briel Ducati Corse special
2) Rotary Elite (one of the ones with 2 faces, great for when wearing a suit as if one face doesn't go, just turn it around!)
3) 2 Animal watches
4) A Polar HRM watch
5) 2 Festina watches

Oh that's only 7, just remembered I gave my rose gold faced Festina to my mum last year, my wrists were getting too big for it....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #29 on: 17 September, 2009, 08:23:43 am »
It would feel very odd not to wear a watch. I could probably get into collecting flash watches, but at the mo it would seem a bit pointless since I always wear the Omega I was given as an eighteenth birthday present - 38 years ago. I also have my late brother's Tissot for the odd occasion when mine is in for a service.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #30 on: 17 September, 2009, 08:27:19 am »
I like watches. They are, IMHO, man's "only" jewellery. I wear one pretty ,much 24 hours a day -- an old habit. I can have days  with a number of meetinghs and I don't like it being late and find it rude when people are. I currently have a simple army style Timex. I have at least one very nice watch, a present from my grandparents, which I, sadly, rarely wear because it is beautiful but thin and possibly ragile. Some of its parts would not be replaceable I would think now either.

Like Mike though I will take it off on holidays and when I want an easy WE. Makes me feel "off duty"!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #31 on: 17 September, 2009, 08:44:01 am »
I couldn't tell you how long it's been that I've not been wearing a watch.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #32 on: 17 September, 2009, 08:46:08 am »
I recently went back to wearing a watch (there's a thread somewhere on this). Initially, it felt odd after a few years not wearing one but now it's the opposite as I feel strangely naked without it.

I'm not a watch addict, but I've had a few nice ones:
my dad's gold-cased watch from the 50s with Swiss movement
a Tissot automatic which sadly imploded (poss 18th present, can't remember)
a Raymond Weil which was a 30th present from Mrs Woofage
my current Citizen

I did get a cheap Kahuna (sp?) thing for wearing on the bike and as an everyday watch but the movement packed in. I may try to replace it one day for a bit of fun.

In my previous jobs, watches have been a bit inconvenient. They don't like magnets, y'see :(.
Pen Pusher

Rob S

« Reply #33 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:16:03 am »
One of those threads that's nowt without pics!!

My bestest watch

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #34 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:17:21 am »
One of those threads that's nowt without pics!!

My bestest watch

Oi!  You've nicked my watch!   >:(

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #35 on: 17 September, 2009, 09:41:11 am »
Coming into TV and doing live transmissions I found it difficult to work without a watch, even though there are timecode-locked clocks everywhere.  What happens when the timecode generator is wrong?   :o

I went through a variety of Casio Databank watches, and currently have a Timex Ironman Datalink.  Everyone who sees it asks if it's a HRM, but it's not - it does however have a USB port on the side, and if I really wanted to I could play Space Invaders on it.  Mainly it stores lots of useful numbers, and acts as a stopwatch for timing inserts into shows.  Oh, it can tell the time too.

I don't have a posh watch, as the ones I do have tend to suffer damage at work.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #36 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:41:39 am »
Stopped wearing a watch 20+ years ago: wrist felt more comfy without so kept it in a pocket instead. Since I've done office jobs (10+ yrs now) there's always been the clock on the PC and outside the office I relish the sense of timelessness. It's less than 3 years since I got my first mobile 'phone and I must say I find the watch helpful. The clocks on cycle computers don't seem very accurate, AFAICT

« Reply #37 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:44:46 am »
... I quite like the look of those Citizen solar powered jobbies with the perpetual calendar.

I got a Citizen Eco-drive in 1996.  I wear it daily and it's still working great  :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #38 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:45:55 am »
USB watch? You colossal nerd!  :thumbsup:  

My favourite watch was an old Fossil from way back when they launched, with a skeleton quartz movement in an overblown industrial-clockpunk frame of faux gears and stuff.  It chewed jacket linings but I wuved it!

Huge watches for the win.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #39 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:50:21 am »
Got a casio Waveceptor last year.  Solar powered, so battery will never need replacing and picks up a time signal every night so always accurate.  Got the cheaper version with black resin strap, so fairly damage-proof too.

tiermat

« Reply #40 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:51:49 am »

My favourite watch was an old Fossil from way back when they launched, with a skeleton quartz movement in an overblown industrial-clockpunk frame of faux gears and stuff.  It chewed jacket linings but I wuved it!

Huge watches for the win.

And there is the eigth one I couldn't remember earlier :) I have Fossil Big-Tic.  It is large, rectangular faced and has a matrix styled background that can be switched on and off by a little button on the side of the watch...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #41 on: 17 September, 2009, 11:06:02 am »
I've not worn a watch for ages. I kept scratching the glass doing DIY / getting at computers under desks and decided I had enough other sources of the time around me most of the time.  In any case I tend to look at phone / PDA / computer to tell me the date as much as the hour, never mind the minute.

« Reply #42 on: 17 September, 2009, 11:11:21 am »

That reminds me, I have the 64MB version of this kicking around somewhere - from a time when 64MB was actually quite a lot of memory.
LAKS USB Memory Watch 128MB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

« Reply #43 on: 17 September, 2009, 12:18:58 pm »
I stopped wearing one years ago and rarely have to ask anyone the time.

I still remember my first watch with luminous hands and numbers - the thrill of watching the hands go round in the dark. Simple pleasures.

« Reply #44 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:04:34 pm »
bitty...
At least it's not nana bitty.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #45 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:08:36 pm »
I'm a watch addict.  I can't do without one - I feel naked and uneasy without a watch on.  
Me too. I take it off in bed, bath, or shower. But otherwise unlike you. I want something readable, comfortable to wear & reliable. Someone here recommended my current main watch earlier this year -

Well, actually one of the cheaper slightly smaller (why I chose it - I have thin wrists) plated ones, but it has the same face (I love it - the simplicity & clarity), strap, & I think the same works.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #46 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:15:32 pm »
The thing about mechanical watches is... cogs... springs... and general cleverness:

Quartz just isn't the same:

But I did like that one - here's the front:

robbo6

« Reply #47 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:19:57 pm »
Being left handed I don't get on with wristwatches, so I have a Russian Orion pocket watch for everyday use and an Aerowatch which was a fiftieth birthday present for best.

tiermat

« Reply #48 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:22:18 pm »
This is my current day-to-day watch...

« Reply #49 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:24:45 pm »
Being left handed I don't get on with wristwatches,
Why not? The left/right-hand thing is only a problem if you're trying to wind or adjust it on your wrist.