Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126689 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #75 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:30:41 am »
A Seiko with a titanium case, to match the bike which is yet to be...

LEE

« Reply #76 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:32:29 am »
I love mechanical watches and find it hard to get even slightly excited about expensive quartz-movement watches.

For cycling I wear a crappy £10 Timex LCD digital with a long velcro strap (by "Animal") that allows me to wear it outside my jacket/jersey.

For every day wear I have my Timex Expedition.  It has "indiglo" backlight and an alarm.  It just survived a 40C wash and spin cycle (again) and much DIY.

For everything else I normally choose from a few old mechanical things I have picked up at boot sales and antique shops.

I don't feel right without a watch and find myself glancing at a bare wrist too often.

« Reply #77 on: 24 September, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »
Seiko 5 Automatic, the original pattern, not the fugly new one.
There havent been only two Seiko 5s. It's always been a range of watches. There have been hundreds of designs over the four decades or so. Currently there are at least 20 designs of Seiko 5 in production.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Zoidburg

« Reply #78 on: 24 September, 2009, 11:36:56 pm »
I love mechanical watches and find it hard to get even slightly excited about expensive quartz-movement watches.

For cycling I wear a crappy £10 Timex LCD digital with a long velcro strap (by "Animal") that allows me to wear it outside my jacket/jersey.

For every day wear I have my Timex Expedition.  It has "indiglo" backlight and an alarm.  It just survived a 40C wash and spin cycle (again) and much DIY.

For everything else I normally choose from a few old mechanical things I have picked up at boot sales and antique shops.

I don't feel right without a watch and find myself glancing at a bare wrist too often.

Bloody hell, you have more watches than a Russian soldier looting Berlin. You don't work as a paramedic or in a hospital do you?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #79 on: 25 September, 2009, 08:48:02 am »
<snip>
Who else has given up watch wearing these days?
Gave up wearing a watch getting on for 30 years ago.  It was just too damned tedious taking it off and putting it back on after washing my hands when I was in the lab.  Did carry one in my pocket for a few months after that, but abandoned that as a pain.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #80 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:06:57 am »
When running, playing football, commuting on the bike or on a 200km Audax: Garmin Forerunner 405.

Only 8 hours battery life when running as a GPS but it can survive a 200km Audax with a recharge blast from a usb-battery-pack thingy at the lunch stop. Waterproof but the bezel controls go mental when it gets wet, rather annoying.

On longer Audaxes I wear a basic Polar HRM watch.

Tells me my HR (not that I ever change how I ride based on my HR), the time (as does my phone, GPS and cycle computer, so not really necessary) and works in the dark (again, so does the GPS and when it's dark I don't really care what time it is). Very waterproof, thankfully.

When not on the bike or doing some exercise I've got a Mondaine Swiss railway watch.

But not always, I often find I've left the house without a watch on and don't really care either way. Just not interested in dress watches (expensive or not).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #81 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:43:40 am »
Bloody hell, you have more watches than a Russian soldier looting Berlin. You don't work as a paramedic or in a hospital do you?
Some bastard nicked my grandfather's Rolex during his final stay in hospital. His will left keepsakes to all his grandchildren---the watch would have been my one.  :'(

Not that watches bother me much, beyond being present, legible and accurate: quartz for me. I upgraded to a solid steel Tissot, though, after my previous one ate the cuffs off an entire wardrobe of shirts. The base metal body of the watch, its steel backplate, and Honest Yeoman Sweat had formed a little battery, leaving the base metal corroded and abrasive. Suddenly it was obvious that a cheaper watch was a false economy...
Not especially helpful or mature

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #82 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:21:35 am »
I love watches and used to wear one. But since my last one died, a Suunto, it just reset it self all the time so much for digital. I have been looking for one but can't decide. Though I did find a limited addition watch for 400.000 that looked pretty cool but that is a bit too much.

Though if only the design was a bit different I would love to have this watch Wrist Fashion &raquo; About Time . Fuzzy time is just fun, you look at your watch and it tells you that it is "a bit to eight" or "just after two" :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #83 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:50:49 am »
Not that watches bother me much, beyond being present, legible and accurate: quartz for me. I upgraded to a solid steel Tissot, though, after my previous one ate the cuffs off an entire wardrobe of shirts. The base metal body of the watch, its steel backplate, and Honest Yeoman Sweat had formed a little battery, leaving the base metal corroded and abrasive. Suddenly it was obvious that a cheaper watch was a false economy...

Yeah I thought that too and bought a solid steel Tissot that (I thught) would last for years.  It did last for 5 and then stopped.  The servicing cost more than half the original cost of the watch and even then I had to send it back a second time for them to do proper job.  Don't ever tell them how much it originally cost as I reckon they ramp up the servicing price...   

« Reply #84 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:55:20 am »
I wear a Casio digital I got from argos.  I think the Animal watch strap cost slightly more. :)
It tells me the time (anyone else gets confused because it's 15 minutes fast. ;).

The last expensive one I had was a Rotary one that cost £80 and the second hand fell off after about 2 years.  I got fed up of having it then jam the other hands so it stopped or ran slow, and gave up on it.

« Reply #85 on: 25 September, 2009, 02:53:00 pm »
The last expensive one I had was a Rotary one that cost £80 and the second hand fell off after about 2 years. 

An £80 watch is a cheap watch not an expensive one.

« Reply #86 on: 25 September, 2009, 03:46:50 pm »
The last expensive one I had was a Rotary one that cost £80 and the second hand fell off after about 2 years. 

An £80 watch is a cheap watch not an expensive one.

My current watch is cheap.  It was £6. ;) 
That Rotary was at least 200% more than any watch I have owned before or since, so it counts as expensive to me. :)

« Reply #87 on: 25 September, 2009, 04:54:35 pm »
I've got big hands and like a big watch, but most of the stuff in my budget tends to be fairly average sized. Big watches tend to cost big money. I'd love a Mont Blanc Timewalker one day.

« Reply #88 on: 25 September, 2009, 08:35:07 pm »
My current day to day watch:

:thumbsup:

Rob S

« Reply #89 on: 25 September, 2009, 10:00:42 pm »
I've got big hands and like a big watch, but most of the stuff in my budget tends to be fairly average sized. Big watches tend to cost big money. I'd love a Mont Blanc Timewalker one day.

Try looking at a TW Steel....the smallest they do is a 45mm and start at about £220.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #90 on: 26 September, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »
I feel naked without a watch.  These are the three that I currently wear most often. One is my best watch (cost £4,500), one my everyday watch (cost £200) and the other I wear only occasionally (cost £25).

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #91 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:15:45 pm »
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #92 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:35:34 pm »
I have a selection of watches including a rather nice Breitling (bought with a gift voucher for 15 years service at a company) but currently am very enamoured by this new Casio. Gshock and atomic time synch. Might have to get one:

« Reply #93 on: 06 October, 2009, 12:43:19 pm »
atomic time synch.

That's one benefit of a wearing a Forerunner 405 GPS as a watch, accuracy is pretty good. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #94 on: 06 October, 2009, 01:17:19 pm »
I have a selection of watches including a rather nice Breitling (bought with a gift voucher for 15 years service at a company) but currently am very enamoured by this new Casio. Gshock and atomic time synch. Might have to get one:

It appears to have the same case and strap as my G-Shock.  In which case the latter will break after a year or two and a replacement will cost about half what the watch did.  Do not ask me how I know this ???

My other watch is an elderly Seiko quartz, which I acquired as a sixteenth birthday present.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #95 on: 06 October, 2009, 01:38:09 pm »
I just saw this:

I want one!

Time to think globally - the wn-2 Earth watch

Me too!  They need to do a Swatchy-cheap one!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #97 on: 06 October, 2009, 07:53:53 pm »
Lovely but in the UK you might have a small problem with that most of the time.

« Reply #98 on: 08 October, 2009, 09:51:44 pm »
Couldn't give up wearing a watch!  Feel naked without one.  My phone gets left at the bottom of a bag generally, my ipod doesn't have a screen and I don't bother with a cycle computer these days.  I'd be a full blown watch fetishist if I could afford to be, would love a Damasko chronograph.

Currently I have a green Seiko chronograph that gets worn for most things, a casio I bought for a round the world trip because it has built in world time zones and only cost £26, and a swatch skeleton I couldn't resist buying when I was in Switzerland this summer.

Love the Swatch but tend to find my wrist size seems to fluctuate a lot with temperature differences so the seiko with cloth strap gets worn a lot more.

« Reply #99 on: 08 October, 2009, 09:54:40 pm »
The Seiko is very nice.