Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126674 times)

Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #100 on: 10 October, 2009, 08:13:28 am »
On the watches of people which have analogue hands, does the second hand align with the second/minute/5minute watch face markings.  

My casio watch strap is breaking & I recently looked at Casio Diver Watch in store http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2830728/c_1/1|category_root|Jewellery+and+watches|14416987/c_2/2|cat_14416987|Men%27s+watches|14417316.htm
and was disappointed to see that although the watch had chronometer style markings the second hand indicated between the 'second' markings.  I looked at the display watches and many of them the second hand was misaligned, perhaps it's too much to ask sub £50...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #101 on: 10 October, 2009, 08:59:38 am »
It's pretty good on a Seiko Kinetic.  The early ones were known for not lining up, but these days they're fixed the problem.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #102 on: 10 October, 2009, 10:47:03 am »
My EcoDrive doesn't , but my Railway watch does.   

I think that on cheaper mechanisms that move 1 second at a time it's just pot luck if yours lines up.   On more expensive watches where I have noted five movements per second, then it's almost sweep and any variance is virtually impossible to observe.

« Reply #103 on: 11 October, 2009, 04:09:23 pm »
I bought the casio divers in the end.  Have just bought one of these watch straps to try with it... Nato G10 Nylon Watch Strap less bulky and more comfortable I guess...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #104 on: 11 October, 2009, 07:10:55 pm »

I think that on cheaper mechanisms that move 1 second at a time it's just pot luck if yours lines up.   On more expensive watches where I have noted five movements per second, then it's almost sweep and any variance is virtually impossible to observe.
Quartz mechanisms (including Kinetic) move one second at a time.  Mechanical mechanisms usually move at least 6 times per second.

FWIW you can buy the Seiko Kinetic 200m diver's watch for about £275; the automatic version, which looks almost identical, can be had for about £90.  Quartz isn't always cheap!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #105 on: 11 October, 2009, 07:53:19 pm »
Re second hand movement, have a look at this pic, for a 1/30s single exposure I took earlier - notice something unusual?   :)

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #106 on: 11 October, 2009, 07:55:40 pm »
Re second hand movement, have a look at this pic, for a 1/30s single exposure - notice something unusual?   :)

The date is at 4 instead of 3?

« Reply #107 on: 11 October, 2009, 07:57:32 pm »
Re second hand movement, have a look at this pic, for a 1/30s single exposure - notice something unusual?   :)

The date is at 4 instead of 3?

No, I said re. second hand movement...  ;)  Actually date position is not that unusual AFAIA... Marathon SAR

« Reply #108 on: 11 October, 2009, 07:58:30 pm »
Re second hand movement, have a look at this pic, for a 1/30s single exposure I took earlier - notice something unusual?   :)

Judging by the reflection, you have no trousers on!!!

« Reply #109 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:01:11 pm »
I think you'll find that's my finger holding the lens away from the watch face  :)

« Reply #110 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:05:10 pm »
Your camera is borked?   ;)

Zoidburg

« Reply #111 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:07:03 pm »
Are we observing a moment in quantumn physics?

« Reply #112 on: 11 October, 2009, 08:55:09 pm »
OK, OK, I'll put you lot out of your misery.   ;)  The second hand must have moved from 13 to 14 at the exact moment I took the pic, and taken less than 1/30 to do so.  So not quantum physics so much as a lucky accidental capture of the SH in both positions.    :)

« Reply #113 on: 12 October, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »

I think that on cheaper mechanisms that move 1 second at a time it's just pot luck if yours lines up.   On more expensive watches where I have noted five movements per second, then it's almost sweep and any variance is virtually impossible to observe.
Quartz mechanisms (including Kinetic) move one second at a time.  Mechanical mechanisms usually move at least 6 times per second.

FWIW you can buy the Seiko Kinetic 200m diver's watch for about £275; the automatic version, which looks almost identical, can be had for about £90.  Quartz isn't always cheap!

Too right try a Breitling Aerospace, that's quartz and you won't get much change out of £2000.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #114 on: 12 October, 2009, 01:24:05 pm »
OK, OK, I'll put you lot out of your misery.   ;)  The second hand must have moved from 13 to 14 at the exact moment I took the pic, and taken less than 1/30 to do so.  So not quantum physics so much as a lucky accidental capture of the SH in both positions.    :)

Second hand looks nicely aligned on that Casio. I nearly bought one of those a few months ago. Got a Timex diver instead.

anth

« Reply #115 on: 12 October, 2009, 01:42:05 pm »
Always feels odd when I can't wear a watch for whatever reason.

Day to day watch is a Swatch Irony that mel got me and is just simply understated. I've got an Oris at home that was a present for finishing uni(/guilt at the fact that it wasn't until I was leaving uni that my dad earned anything like the money to be able to buy me something like that) that's a lovely bit of kit, but the strap snapped so needs replaced.

« Reply #116 on: 12 October, 2009, 01:48:39 pm »
I am thinking of getting one of these Precista PRS-10 quartz watches:

It's based on the same MOD specification as the CWC that Charlotte wears but updated to be more water resistant.

« Reply #117 on: 12 October, 2009, 02:02:50 pm »

Second hand looks nicely aligned on that Casio. I nearly bought one of those a few months ago. Got a Timex diver instead.

I had a look at another nearby branch of Argos, and this time the second hand was aligned properly.  Seems well made.  It says 'stainless steel', do you reckon this would include the watch and bezel or just the back?

« Reply #118 on: 12 October, 2009, 02:23:54 pm »
I think the watch itself is stainless steel. The glass is a very high dome though which is what put me off. I got one of these instead. Steel and a flat glass. The indiglo is good and its very comfy to wear. The bracelet is steel on the outside but the black bit is some kind of rubber.

It's a nice do everything beater watch for holidays etc as you can swim or snorkel in it and not worry about it but still looks OK on an evening.

« Reply #119 on: 12 October, 2009, 03:12:04 pm »
I think the watch itself is stainless steel. The glass is a very high dome though which is what put me off. I got one of these instead. Steel and a flat glass. The indiglo is good and its very comfy to wear. The bracelet is steel on the outside but the black bit is some kind of rubber.

It's a nice do everything beater watch for holidays etc as you can swim or snorkel in it and not worry about it but still looks OK on an evening.

Looks good.  Yes, I wondered about the casio convex glass, but a least it's mineral scratch resistant.  I had a pulsar with this SR glass, worn everyday for 3-4 years and I don't think I had one scratch on it.  But shouldn't speak to soon, as I have since developed habit of launching into DIY/cleaning jobs and wrecking good clothes/scratching plastic digital watch faces...

« Reply #120 on: 12 October, 2009, 03:43:53 pm »
I've left mine in London.

Irritated of Devon.

« Reply #121 on: 13 October, 2009, 06:55:41 pm »
I've just fitted my Nato G10 (black nylon) watchstrap that came today, so much more comfortable than the chunky resin one designed for gripping a wetsuit (I guess) that was fitted to the watch.  It looks good and seems very well made.   :)

« Reply #122 on: 13 October, 2009, 06:57:45 pm »
Yep - I use a military nylon strap on my Traser - they are the way ahead if you're active.

fuzzy

« Reply #123 on: 13 October, 2009, 07:40:38 pm »
I feel naked without a watch when I'm not in bed/ showering/ riding. My day to day watch is a Calypso steel braclet thing bought in Gibraltar several years ago. In the cabinet at home is a Seiko SWMBO bought as a wedding present- strap broke and I haven't yet replaced it and a Tissot 'Rockwatch'

« Reply #124 on: 25 October, 2009, 01:20:22 am »
My dad gave me this a few weeks ago. He doesn't wear it anymore. I like it enough I've started wearing a watch again on a daily basis. The glass needs replaced (any idea how much this might cost?) but I'll do that when the battery needs replaced.