Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126679 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #125 on: 26 October, 2009, 05:13:01 am »
Watched have moved from timekeepers to art-fashion pieces.  Some of the contemporary designs are great - just look at watchisimo.com.  I crave a Russian 24-hour one, and some of the wacky handless Zen fests...
I have one of those Russian (Soviet, actually) 24-hour watches. Or at least, I used to have. In any case I haven't worn it for years - and to be honest the outer dial which allows you to compare time zones never worked well, anyway. It always slipped round. But if I still have it and can find it, well, I don't want it anymore, so I dare say it could find its way Gates-ward. But as I said, I'm not sure I still have it.

Oh, the watch I do wear has also lost its outer bezel - I think in my recent crash. And it's a Festina, so a kind of cycling connection there!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #126 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:21:08 am »
I've just had to change the time on my watch for GMT. That's old technology for you.

I do like the 'home and away' time setting options on my smartphone...

« Reply #127 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:27:25 am »
I do like the 'home and away' time setting options on my smartphone...

My camera will do that now, and you can tell it what the date of your holiday is, and it will note the details in the EXIF data for those images only, as well as adjusting the time appropriately. :thumbsup:

It's a bit large to wear on your wrist though. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #128 on: 28 October, 2009, 05:34:05 am »
One of the landmarks on my walk to work in the morning is the beggar - perhaps I should call him a sadhu or some other sort of "holy man" - outside an ashram or math type place called the Oneness Centre. Despite being filthy, ragged, and holding out his hand for alms, he noticeably has a gold watch on his left wrist. I'm sure it's not actual gold, of course, but even so it looks flashy and somewhat out of place on him.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #129 on: 04 November, 2009, 07:26:58 pm »
I've a couple of nice dressy gold Omega's but wanted something a little chunkier, a bit of googling around the watch forums,  a swift visit to Ebay and one of these turned up in the lunchtime post......

It's beautifully finished and I doubt you'd get better for £94 inc postage.  I took it to a local watchsmith to have some links taken out of the bracelet and he was quite familiar with the brand and rated them better than most of the Seiko divers costing several times the price. (Orient are owned by Seiko but not often sold in the UK)

Someone elses review here http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=302670 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #130 on: 09 December, 2009, 09:53:18 am »
Resurrecting the topic again (I'm sure there's a joke about squirrels in there)

I'm not butch enough to wear this, the "Iron Samurai Watch"

[It has] blood red numerals encased in stark samurai sword steel like the final battle between all the forces of good and evil in the multiverse

Yes, The Iron Samurai has been known to increase its wearers' strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma by as much as 20 points each! Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal are said to be Iron Samurai owners, as is David Bowie and Brian Eno. In reality, this watch is perfect for Presidential dinner crashers, Facebook celebs with over 1000 fans, Youtube directors with over 2,000,000 views, anyone who can play the entirety of Neil Zaza's I'm Alright on electric guitar, iPhone 3Gs owners, or anybody who is a somebody.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #131 on: 09 December, 2009, 10:17:24 am »
Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal are said to be Iron Samurai owners

Chuck Norris doesn't wear that watch on his wrist, he wears it on his fist so that you'll know what time he punched you.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #132 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:06:29 pm »

I like that "Iron Samurai Watch".
I'm also aware that I inherited a kitsch gene.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #133 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:08:47 pm »

That's not kitsch - it's camp!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #134 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:40:45 pm »

Trying to justify your purchase? ;)
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #135 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:40:54 pm »

Oh, that would explain why the digits glow.
So you can still see them with the closet door tightly shut.   ;D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Legs

« Reply #136 on: 09 December, 2009, 12:59:17 pm »
I wear my late grandfather's Omega Constellation, which is really nice.  I take it off at the weekends for DIY work and keep having to shake it and advance the date again on Monday mornings (because it's self-winding), but I absolutely love it.

« Reply #137 on: 09 December, 2009, 01:10:46 pm »
Somewhere between Switzerland and here is an Oris automatic with my name on.

Mrs FF has a small faced Oris Big-Crown, tiz a lovely thing.  Like Oris watches a lot, excellent value and nicely made. 
Enjoy!

LEE

« Reply #138 on: 09 December, 2009, 01:19:17 pm »
I wear my late grandfather's Omega Constellation, which is really nice.  I take it off at the weekends for DIY work and keep having to shake it and advance the date again on Monday mornings (because it's self-winding), but I absolutely love it.

It's very, very nice.

Legs

« Reply #139 on: 09 December, 2009, 03:56:51 pm »
Aye, a thing of great beauty! :thumbsup:

« Reply #140 on: 09 December, 2009, 07:09:26 pm »
I have about 4 I think it is , but they are seldom worn these days . As I tend to to use the phone .
Rich

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #141 on: 09 December, 2009, 09:33:39 pm »
Iron Samurai?

So it's made from ultra-expensive, tatara-smelted, hand-sorted tamahagane?

a) What a waste, and
b) You'll get rust stains as soon as you sweat.

More like stainless steel tosh, if you ask me...  ::-)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #142 on: 09 December, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »
I wear one of these:

Seiko SKA369P1 Men's Dive Watch: Seiko: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

which has to be the heaviest wristwatch ever made  :o  I actually preferred the automatic version, but exactly a year after a £90 service by Seiko it started losing time again, and of course it wasn't very accurate and had to be worn every day to keep it wound.  The Kinetic one gains about 8 seconds per month and, once it's been worn for a few weeks, has a power reserve of six months.  After 10 years the titanium lithium ion battery sometimes needs replacing, or so they say.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #143 on: 10 December, 2009, 07:38:12 am »
I wear one of these:

Seiko SKA369P1 Men's Dive Watch: Seiko: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

which has to be the heaviest wristwatch ever made  :o  I actually preferred the automatic version, but exactly a year after a £90 service by Seiko it started losing time again, and of course it wasn't very accurate and had to be worn every day to keep it wound.  The Kinetic one gains about 8 seconds per month and, once it's been worn for a few weeks, has a power reserve of six months.  After 10 years the titanium lithium ion battery sometimes needs replacing, or so they say.

I wear an older version of this, which is a mechanical automatic rather than the Kinetic model.  Had it for years and worn it constantly.  It looks as good now as when I bought it and is absolutely bombproof.  If I ever lost it I'd get the nearest equivalent.

« Reply #144 on: 10 December, 2009, 08:57:46 am »
Used to always wear one. Then i just stopped wearing it. Didnt like it on my wrist, got in the way. Never wore it when i cycled but when i was working it sometimes got in the way. So, i just stopped wearing one.
My mum wanted to get me a nice one for when i was 18, but i told her not to. I wouldnt use it and it would just go into some draw or on my desk and not really be used. I just use my phone when i want to know the time. When im in 6th form theres clocks in every room, if thats wrong ill either guess or get my phone out. When im out on my bike ive got clock on my computer. At home we have clocks. Out walking to wherever ive got my phone.
Ive guessed my GF has got me a watch for xmas though. Not sure why. I told her that i was telling my mum i didnt want one, and it would just go in a draw. Probably didnt know what other nice thing to get me.
Bloody women, never listen!!

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #145 on: 20 February, 2010, 06:40:08 pm »
For 15 years I've been wearing an entry-level TAG Heuer:

It seemed to be the quintessential cyclist's watch at the time, mainly because they sponsored the 7-11 team and their riders were often pictured wearing them. Small (I have tiny wrists) and light, but the straps only last 3-4 years and they're expensive to replace. Not to mention having to send it back to TAG to change the battery (although they last 3-4 years as well).

I somehow stumbled upon Vostok Amphibia watches recently, and succumbed to a hankering for a ticking hunk of stainless steel on my wrist:

31-jewel automatic movement, 200m water resistance and I'm measuring it at between 3-6 seconds gained per day. The price for this marvel of mechanical engineering? £35. The Omega Speedmaster Professional will have to wait.  :thumbsup:

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #146 on: 21 February, 2010, 01:18:45 pm »
Much as I love my G10 for outdoorsy stuff, can anyone reccommend a suitably classy ladies' dive-style watch that won't break the bank?  Things I like (not absolutely necessary, but nice to have):

Stainless chunkiness
Date window
Second hand/timer
Automatic movement
Miscellaneous geeky features
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #147 on: 21 February, 2010, 01:58:13 pm »
Roachman has a very good reputation and his web site has loads of Seiko and Orient ladies watches.

Ladies watches

Some nice ones from plain:

To bling:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #148 on: 21 February, 2010, 02:27:53 pm »
I'm very happy with the Orient Diver I bought last year from this chap on Fleabay http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/GMT-CLASSICS

He also sells direct here http://www.orient-watches.co.uk/orient/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #149 on: 21 February, 2010, 02:37:01 pm »
He also sells direct here http://www.orient-watches.co.uk/orient/

One of the watches on the front page has a slide rule function  ::-)