Author Topic: Wearing a watch  (Read 126682 times)

Re: Wearing a watch
« Reply #150 on: 21 February, 2010, 10:55:02 pm »
I now wear a Seiko Arctura Kinetic, a lovely present from E.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #151 on: 21 February, 2010, 11:00:06 pm »
I somehow stumbled upon Vostok Amphibia watches recently, and succumbed to a hankering for a ticking hunk of stainless steel on my wrist:

31-jewel automatic movement, 200m water resistance and I'm measuring it at between 3-6 seconds gained per day. The price for this marvel of mechanical engineering? £35. The Omega Speedmaster Professional will have to wait.  :thumbsup:

Do you mind me asking where you bought it from?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #152 on: 21 February, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »
An ebay seller by the name of zenitar, aka some guy called Victor from Moscow. He's highly regarded in Russian watch geek circles, so I had no worries about buying off him.

« Reply #153 on: 21 February, 2010, 11:40:36 pm »
I think you can get them form US websites too (?).

Edit: Oops, not quite, but Zenitar is the shop you can contact. Vostok Amphibia Review

LEE

« Reply #154 on: 22 February, 2010, 12:20:50 am »
I have a selection of watches including a rather nice Breitling (bought with a gift voucher for 15 years service at a company) but currently am very enamoured by this new Casio. Gshock and atomic time synch. Might have to get one:

I'm sorry but that is about as horrible a watch as I have ever seen.

« Reply #155 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:50:02 am »
I have a few nice and expensive watches but I never wear them now and will probably move some of them on.

www.chronomaster.co.uk has some nice/interesting models

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #156 on: 22 February, 2010, 11:02:11 am »
An ebay seller by the name of zenitar, aka some guy called Victor from Moscow. He's highly regarded in Russian watch geek circles, so I had no worries about buying off him.

Sadly, the prices seem to have gone up somewhat since you got yours.

This place, somewhat closer to home, also does them at comparable prices.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #157 on: 22 February, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »
Well, £35 to £37.62 isn't much, and it's probably because he prices them in $ in the first place. I really wanted one with Cyrillic script though, most of the watches on Stuart's sites aren't.

« Reply #158 on: 22 February, 2010, 12:58:23 pm »
Well, £35 to £37.62 isn't much, and it's probably because he prices them in $ in the first place. I really wanted one with Cyrillic script though, most of the watches on Stuart's sites aren't.

What is your model? I couldn't find the same or a look-alike on Zenitar.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #159 on: 22 February, 2010, 01:03:33 pm »

The postage adds another tenner onto that. Do they come from outside Europe? Everything that does these days seems to have another £20 tacked onto it by the Post Office.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #160 on: 22 February, 2010, 02:33:44 pm »
Postage was $15, which came out to be around £9. Total was around £45 compared to £54+£4 for the UK-based seller. It came from Moscow, no duty or any additional costs.

« Reply #161 on: 22 February, 2010, 04:18:42 pm »
BTW I've been using a Nato G10 nylon watchstrap (on my Casio divers*) for 4 months or so now and it's - uber comfortable, & the black anodized stainless fittings showing no signs of wear yet;  still almost as good as new.  Heartily recommended - if the black nylon look appeals...  :)

Nato G10 Nylon Watch Strap - Superior Quality PVD Stainless Steel Hardware from Watchworx TSS UK

*& not managed to scratch the slightly convex glass on the watch either, despite wearing it everyday...this hopefully not 'famous last words'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #162 on: 22 February, 2010, 04:31:25 pm »
Postage was $15, which came out to be around £9. Total was around £45 compared to £54+£4 for the UK-based seller. It came from Moscow, no duty or any additional costs.

Ta!

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #163 on: 05 March, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #164 on: 21 April, 2010, 10:00:52 pm »
Reminds me of the horrible VW polos that looked like they were assembled from leftover parts.

« Reply #165 on: 27 June, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »
Looks like I killed this thread :-[

Here's the latest addition after a recent trip across the Atlantic;

LEE

« Reply #166 on: 27 June, 2011, 03:17:55 pm »
I have a selection of watches including a rather nice Breitling (bought with a gift voucher for 15 years service at a company) but currently am very enamoured by this new Casio. Gshock and atomic time synch. Might have to get one:

I'm sorry but that is about as horrible a watch as I have ever seen.

Revisiting this thread after looking in a jeweller's window at the weekend and seeing a Casio display.

It's fair to say I was shocked (G-Shocked ?) by the price of the watches on their display.  One of which was over £250

What special features did it have for such a price?

- It receives radio time signals.
- It's waterproof
- It has a stop watch
- Date

To me it's a £20 watch tops. 

In fairness it's a steel body & strap rather than typical plastic but Casio, more than any other "LCD" watch manufacturer seem to have been able to move out of the £10 LCD watch bracket and into the Jewellery display cabinets next to the Rolex's and Cartiers.

They still have plastic stuff that sells at over £100 though.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #167 on: 27 June, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »
After a little research into everything-proof divers' watches, I bought myself one of these a couple of months ago:

It is both bombproof and reasonably delicate for a ladies' watch and will never, ever need a battery.

At less than £150, it ought to be in The Incredibly Reasonably Priced Goods thread.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #168 on: 27 June, 2011, 03:55:11 pm »
Nice :thumbsup:.

I muchly like my Eco-Drive. For a very inexpensive watch it has a built like a brick outhouse feel with perfect timekeeping and no batteries or anything to wind 8).
Pen Pusher

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #169 on: 27 June, 2011, 03:56:07 pm »
Is there a wrist strap for the Cateye Mity 3?  ;)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #170 on: 27 June, 2011, 03:57:15 pm »
I'm currently wearing a Seiko Daytona.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #171 on: 27 June, 2011, 04:27:21 pm »
My 10 buck "rolex" bought from the guy on the corner of Wall & Pine, NYC in October 1990 has just had to have its third battery installed .. I'm losing money with all these new batteries  ;D

Rob

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #172 on: 27 June, 2011, 05:13:10 pm »
After a little research into everything-proof divers' watches, I bought myself one of these a couple of months ago:

It is both bombproof and reasonably delicate for a ladies' watch and will never, ever need a battery.

At less than £150, it ought to be in The Incredibly Reasonably Priced Goods thread.

Nice.  I used to have a Citizen before I went over to using a dive computer.  That said, I still dive with a watch as well as the computer.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #173 on: 27 June, 2011, 08:56:30 pm »
My small collection:-

Citizen 200m dive watch
Accurist 100m (looks like bit like a TAG SEL)
Square Armani (bought in Rome)
Navigator stopwatch (looks a bit like a Breitling Navitimer)
Pulsar titanium stopwatch / alarm
Genuine Japanese Rolex Explorer  ;D

As I've got fat wrists, I've put a deployment clasp on the Armani and Navigator, as over-sized straps are sometimes hard to find.

Apart from the automatic Rolex, all batteries were flat until last week, as I now don't seem to wear one whereas 5 years ago, I wouldn't be seen dead without one.
Old enough to know better!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #174 on: 27 June, 2011, 09:03:39 pm »

It's a little bright isn't it?

That's allmost similar  to the watch I was given  for work by my employer  :)
No wonder we nicknamed them Disney watches  ;D