Author Topic: Brian Cookson for UCI president  (Read 9476 times)

Re: Brian Cookson for UCI president
« Reply #75 on: 27 September, 2013, 08:00:24 pm »
I'm not sure it's as automatic as that journo seems to think but we'll see.  Let's hope so.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #76 on: 27 September, 2013, 09:30:32 pm »
Can I be the first to say Auf Wiedershein, Pat!

;D

« Reply #77 on: 27 September, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »
"McQuaid [] pledged not to launch a legal challenge should he be defeated."

Best to to get that in first, perhaps, so somewhere down the road it'll be "I said I wouldn't sue them, how unfair it is for them to sue me after all I've done for cycling!" etc. etc.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #78 on: 27 September, 2013, 10:08:31 pm »
Excellent :)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #79 on: 30 September, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »
Can we expect McQuaid to appear on Oprah and confess all a la Lance ????

Rob

« Reply #80 on: 30 September, 2013, 08:16:46 pm »
Can we expect McQuaid to appear on Oprah and confess all a la Lance ????

Rob

More like The One Show!

« Reply #81 on: 02 October, 2013, 08:03:18 am »
I'm not sure it's as automatic as that journo seems to think but we'll see.  Let's hope so.

Looks like it is.

"Pat McQuaid's membership ended last Friday when he ceased to be UCI President," a spokeswoman for the IOC told insidethegames.

His name has now been removed from the list of members on the IOC's official website.

A process will now be launched to elect a replacement to fill the position, one of the 15 places allocated to the International Federations under the rules of the Olympic Charter.

It is unlikely to be Cookson, however.

"His successor will not automatically become an IOC member," the spokeswoman told insidethegames.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #82 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:49:48 pm »
I've always found it bizarre that someone who was banned for life from the Olympics in 1976 managed to get a seat on the IOC.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #83 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:58:03 pm »
I've always found it bizarre that someone who was banned for life from the Olympics in 1976 managed to get a seat on the IOC.

I dunno, what he did showed he was well-qualified for life in the upper echelons of global sporting organisations.  :demon: ;) :demon:

Though what that says about yer average global sports organisation is left as an exercise for the reader.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #84 on: 04 October, 2013, 02:59:17 pm »
An amusing, if mildly bizarre, coda to the UCI Presidential vote:

The Overlord Surfaces

Brian Cookson defeated incumbent Pat McQuaid in last Friday’s closely watched election for UCI President. Amid the electoral drama, CyclingNews’ Laura Weislo tweeted that Aaron Brown was present (allegedly advising McQuaid).

Brown, you may recall, is the Twitter personality known as @UCI_Overlord who is accused of misappropriating roughly $100,000 from, variously, the Paul Kimmage defense fund and his former business partner, Lesli Cohen.

The Brown story in general has elements of the baroque about it, but Friday’s twist was something stranger than fiction: a man who built his fame on satirizing the UCI president may have advised the same president—whose legal action against Kimmage precipitated the very defense fund that Brown allegedly misappropriated, forcing him to go to ground under fierce criticism of his actions.

I can’t figure out who would be dumber in this situation: Brown, for agreeing to advise McQuaid even as he must have known his presence would be noted by the media attending (some of whom know him and have been criticized by him in the past) and thus revive his own story; or McQuaid, who is so tone deaf that he would think Brown actually had any qualifications or credibility as an advisor.

In the end, their association seems quite fitting and should serve nicely as an epitaph to both of their careers in the sport.

;D

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2013/09/30/worlds-wrap/

Apropos of Mr. Kimmage, an appeal against the rejection of the suit he filed against Messrs McQuaid and Verbruggen in November of last year was thrown out by the Swiss courts late in August:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15363/Kimmage-confirms-that-legal-appeal-over-McQuaid-and-Verbruggen-lawsuit-has-been-dismissed.aspx
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jakob

« Reply #85 on: 11 October, 2013, 07:48:36 pm »
Cookson is off to a good start:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/oct/11/brian-cookson-wada-investigation-uci

- Independent investigation into UCI's handling of doping
- Drops the lawsuit against Kimmage
- removed the age limit (28) for women.

« Reply #86 on: 11 October, 2013, 07:54:55 pm »
And is courting the IOC to bag FP's place, which is important.  Encouraging stuff.

« Reply #87 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »
Very encouraging.

Now all he has to do is get LA to talk.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #88 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:14:16 pm »
LA has no problem with talking, it's telling that is the problem..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #89 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:22:49 pm »
I fear that LA would treat any more discussion of his doping as an ego trip. Far better to talk to the likes of Di Luca, Sinkewitz etc. Its the mid rank riders and especially team managers with a shady past who could provide the most insight rather than LA who, with his resources and clout, was in a different and much smaller league. All IMHO obv.

ETA; Cookson is off to a good start. I hope he receives support from the likes of Walsh and Kimmage.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #90 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »
It is all IYHO, but so is everybody's view on this including mine  :D

My view is that LA will spill, eventually, when the legal and financial constraints become redundant. I take your point about the smallfry and the big league though.

Jakob

« Reply #91 on: 11 October, 2013, 08:45:22 pm »
And is courting the IOC to bag FP's place, which is important.  Encouraging stuff.

I actually don't want him to get anywhere near the IOC. I consider the IOC unrecoverable and think it'll corrupt anyone involved with it.

« Reply #92 on: 04 November, 2013, 06:45:29 pm »
Is Hein preparing the ground for an impending shitstorm I wonder?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/former-uci-president-verbruggen-my-conscience-is-clean

« Reply #93 on: 04 November, 2013, 06:58:05 pm »
Yep.

Cookson is busy getting all his ducks in a row.

Meanwhile Rasmussen has ratted out Hesjedal for doping in 03. Vaughters has 'let slip' that Hesjedal admitted to usada hat he'd doped in 03 and 04, but of course nobody is going to believevthat he stopped afterwards, which puts his 2012 Giro win in a new light.....especially since he'd never podiumed in a GT before with a single 6th place being his only GT result of note.

Incidentally, in this years Giro (after having confessed to prior doping in 03/4) he came 70th.

Its a fucking joke of a sport

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #94 on: 04 November, 2013, 07:05:26 pm »
Yes, doping has made a mockery of pro racing for decades now. There is no sensible approach other than to stand back and laugh at every impossible result and the cheering crowds.

They always stop doping more than 8 years before the current date. Of course they do.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #95 on: 04 November, 2013, 09:50:48 pm »
Hein Verbruggen - "My conscience is clean."

Of course it is Heinie, you had it surgically extracted and put in a jar for safekeeping when you became UCI president.

« Reply #97 on: 18 November, 2013, 06:42:58 pm »
Cookson is off to a good start:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/oct/11/brian-cookson-wada-investigation-uci

- Independent investigation into UCI's handling of doping
- Drops the lawsuit against Kimmage
- removed the age limit (28) for women.

And following on from the aforementioned measures, another step towards improving the representation of women in cycling:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15840/UCI-confirms-at-least-one-woman-will-sit-on-each-of-governing-bodys-eighteen-commissions.aspx