Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 285244 times)

I’m a heatwave-sceptic, moreover I think we’ll see an early autumn. In Japan there has been heavy leaf fall*.

*Zwift tells me.
Move Faster and Bake Things

It’s definitely flying ant weather here, in the foothills of the Chilterns.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It's been a comfortable but unspectacular month in Saarfend. Every day bar 2 has been over 20°C. Maximum temperature 26.4°C. Minimum temperature about 15°C.

I would have liked it to have been a little warmer.

My son spent a month in Finland and they were breaking records: 7 consecutive days with the temperature in excess of 30°C.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The last couple of days we've had absolutely perfect weather, so of course back of midnight last night the father & mother of a thunderstorm moved in and had me powering down the router, unplugging computers and turning off the UPS. Fierce downpour & wind for about half an hour before it moved on. Then an hour later a second wave came in, that one loud enough to wake up MrsT.  Nothing, however, was enough to stop the village-harvest knees- & piss-up, so we had thudaceous muzak throbbing out of the village hall until about 3 am.

We've just had another cloudburst through, thick enough to grey out the houses across the street.  I noticed that the bods playing football at the pitch half a k down the road kept going through it. Ref's whistle must have been gurgling.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
The weather forecast for the next week looks stunning after a fortnight of meh. This is not an issue for me, but today is the last day of Dr Beardy (Mrs) annual two week holiday and she’s a bit miffed.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Hopes of autumn glory as season arrives early in parts of southern England

The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is rolling in earlier than usual across parts of the south and south-east of England due to the soggy and sunny summer, according to forestry experts.
Ripening blackberries, sweetening chestnuts and burgeoning forest fruits – typically seasonal hallmarks of autumn normally seen from mid-September – are all evident, said Forestry England, which manages publicly owned forests.
And with them come hopes of a spectacularly colourful autumnal display.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Swallows lined up for the journey home, on the telegraph wires in Whitstable  :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Hopes of autumn glory as season arrives early in parts of southern England

The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is rolling in earlier than usual across parts of the south and south-east of England due to the soggy and sunny summer, according to forestry experts.
Ripening blackberries, sweetening chestnuts and burgeoning forest fruits – typically seasonal hallmarks of autumn normally seen from mid-September – are all evident, said Forestry England, which manages publicly owned forests.
And with them come hopes of a spectacularly colourful autumnal display.

Saw a wild strawberry plant in flower this afternoon.  And the bloody grass is still growing like a house on fire.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Swallows lined up for the journey home, on the telegraph wires in Whitstable  :(

Had that yesterday morning here.  And this morning no swallows to be seen in the park.  :(
I'm sure they stayed well into September in recent years.  Do they know something we don't?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

Came in about thirty minutes ago to be greeted by the sounds of the Great Heating Engine gurgling away (briefly, it seems, the radiators didn't get hot). Not exactly the hottest of the late August bank holidays.

Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1685 on: 01 September, 2021, 02:35:27 pm »
My desk fan has been retired to its winter home  :(
Had about 10 or 14 days use this year.
Last year it was running throughout most of the summer.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1686 on: 01 September, 2021, 06:12:37 pm »
It’s all my fault.  I bought a floor-standing fan for the Great Hall shortly before the TdF.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1687 on: 01 September, 2021, 07:17:00 pm »
I found a very obscure book of short stories* online yesterday. I bought it, then expected the Nordic seller to get in touch to arrange payment and shipping. No such hassle. They've already posted it and are relying on my honesty to cough up once it arrives. How very Scandinavian.

* Den Trygga Världen by Eyvind Johnson. Joint winner of the 1974 Nobel Prize for Literature - although he was sitting on the jury!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #1688 on: 01 September, 2021, 07:30:14 pm »
A beautiful day at the beach in the West Highlands of Scotland - 22 degrees, just perfect.  An al fresco drink before the drive back to the in laws in Ft William with no midgies either - mother in law assures me that this year has seen fewer of the wee blighters than any other year since they moved to Ft William from Liverpool in 1969.  And its expected to remain fine into the middle of next week. 

The non scientific consent among joint Edinburgh/Ft William residents is that this is the warmest driest summer since 1976, pipping 2018 with temperatures remaining consistently higher for longer (both within each day and much later in the year).     

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1689 on: 01 September, 2021, 07:53:54 pm »
It bloody isn't down here! Didn't make it above 15C yesterday, and the best this week is 17C. Dank, mizzle, thick cloud and windy. Bloody miserable, really.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1690 on: 01 September, 2021, 07:58:11 pm »
Thank goodness for this cool weather. Anything above 18 degrees disagrees with my menopause.
Milk please, no sugar.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #1691 on: 01 September, 2021, 09:07:00 pm »
It bloody isn't down here! Didn't make it above 15C yesterday, and the best this week is 17C. Dank, mizzle, thick cloud and windy. Bloody miserable, really.

Oh dear dont look here then

Yesterday on Eigg : https://twitter.com/graeme_wyllie/status/1432680390611939333

Today a la plage : https://twitter.com/graeme_wyllie/status/1433099801755856896

« Reply #1692 on: 01 September, 2021, 10:50:16 pm »
If it is the best summer up there since 1976 then it will probably be the wettest autumn since 1976 as well. I don’t think I had any dry clothes for the whole of the autumn term in Aberdeen that year.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1693 on: 02 September, 2021, 08:11:39 am »

Yesterday on Eigg : https://twitter.com/graeme_wyllie/status/1432680390611939333

I am comforted by the fact that nice summers in the Western Isles are as rare as cold summers are in Suffolk!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1694 on: 02 September, 2021, 12:08:53 pm »

I am comforted by the fact that nice summers in the Western Isles are as rare as cold summers are in Suffolk!

But warm, dry, sunny springs are relatively common in Western Scotland.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1695 on: 02 September, 2021, 03:19:22 pm »
Good grief.  A patch of blue sky!  Not where the sun will shine through it though. Oh well, it's pretty.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #1696 on: 02 September, 2021, 06:26:46 pm »

But warm, dry, sunny springs are relatively common in Western Scotland.

Indeed - but we keep it quiet to keep the tourists at bay. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1697 on: 02 September, 2021, 07:00:05 pm »
BBC Londonton's fortune teller is predicting high 20s for the middle of next week  :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1698 on: 02 September, 2021, 07:41:11 pm »
BBC Londonton's fortune teller is predicting high 20s for the middle of next week  :o

They keep postponing the UK heatwave. Most of Europe basking in 47C and us barely into the 20s.

It's okay, barakta's having major hip/leg surgery on the second week of September.  Heat waves are traditional weather for being confined to bed with limited mobility...

QED.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1699 on: 05 September, 2021, 11:19:47 am »
It’s getting a bit warm for my liking.  >:( The council should do something.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.