Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2488574 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #150 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:37:21 am »
Last night's ride home - exhausting. Not much snow about until I passed the A1, then it was blowing horizontal into my face. I realised I was a bit tired when I veered off the edge of the road, whilst on the tribars. A few frantic "Oh Sh! Oh Sh! Oh Sh!" moments before I brought bike back under control. Stayed off the tribars for the rest of the ride.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #151 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:11:14 am »
In some respects this morning was worse than last nights commute, in others ways easier.  Clearer roads, and less blown snow, but more idiots, and more slushy stuff at the side of the road.

I had to walk about half of the first half mile, a few of the quieter roads had had the snow compressed enough by cars to make a slush icey slippery death trap, but once I got to West Croydon station, most of the roads were clear.

After Tooting Bec Common, there was actually very little snow, and in place little evidence that there had been snow.  The only point were I almost lost it was on the very Northern end of Clapham Common, where the cycle path zigs across the footpath to get to the correct point on the traffic lights, and there was still a little slushy ice there.  The wheels were slipping from under me briefly, which was good for getting the heart going!

Like Clarion said though, phew the wind!  At least it should be easy on the way home!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #152 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:49:01 am »

The only point were I almost lost it was on the very Northern end of Clapham Common, where the cycle path zigs across the footpath to get to the correct point on the traffic lights, and there was still a little slushy ice there.  The wheels were slipping from under me briefly, which was good for getting the heart going!

As usualy, the worst ice was on the cycle paths!. I saw someone fall off at exactly the same point Tim had his moment. I also had a fairly sketchy moment at the same place.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #153 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:54:16 am »
Not too bad this morning.  Changed the route slightly to avoid decending a hill on a minor road that ends in a T junction with a main road.  (Last year I slithered sideways right out into the flow of traffic! - The drivers would have thought I was being rather over assertive had it not been for the look of panic on my face)

This morning was really really cold.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #154 on: 18 December, 2009, 12:47:00 pm »
No snow round here - but due to the temperature, I still took the MTB/studded tyres.

But Damn that is hard work - tyres are only around 30psi, cos that is what is needed for effective grip on ice, but it makes for a much harder commute.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #155 on: 18 December, 2009, 01:12:49 pm »
No snow round here - but due to the temperature, I still took the MTB/studded tyres.

But Damn that is hard work - tyres are only around 30psi, cos that is what is needed for effective grip on ice, but it makes for a much harder commute.

Studded tyres? 30psi? Mine used to grip at almost any sensible pressure for the terrain. For ice I'd be riding at around 50psi.

Or do you not mean studded, but knobbly?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #156 on: 18 December, 2009, 01:58:31 pm »
Well that was fun!!  The only downside was having to swap tyres this morning as the mtb still had it's summer slicks on.

Only incident was outside the office when I was nearly taken out by another member of staff in a 4x4 who was confused because the entrance to the car park was coned off.  ::-)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #157 on: 18 December, 2009, 02:21:26 pm »
Although the high Wold was blocked until now, the lower parts were passable on the trike into & around town. Best bits were the untreated roads & the bridlepath on my usual route.

A few hardy old ladies on shopping bikes about in town.

This snow came too early for me to get the snow studs on the MTB which is a block of ice & snow in the garden somewhere. That was today's job.

One wheel drive had no problems with slipping on the trike but the car keeps the ABS chopping in.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #158 on: 18 December, 2009, 04:26:25 pm »
I was disappointed this morning, I'd got my trike out last night expecting to be coming in through the snow, and instead it was just a cold & windy morning.

I still used the trike though, just to frighten the motons a bit.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #159 on: 18 December, 2009, 04:27:08 pm »
Well, if it frightens the rider, it should terrify the motons ;D
Getting there...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #160 on: 18 December, 2009, 05:19:09 pm »

Studded tyres? 30psi? Mine used to grip at almost any sensible pressure for the terrain. For ice I'd be riding at around 50psi.

Or do you not mean studded, but knobbly?

..d

Dunno - but read somewhere that it is necessary to reduce the pressure for grip on ice. Having said that - next time I think I'll chance a higher pressure. 30 psi pulls my legs off.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #161 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:01:13 pm »
On my commute, I occasionally see other commuters before Mitcham Common, and definitely from Tooting onwards.

This morning, I saw the little old woman who can barely see over her front basket, then no riders at all until I got to Balham!  Even then, that was just two, and I only saw two others all the way in to work.

It was a bit like riding back in the day.  You know, 'before'. ;)  When you were out there on your own, and not in a pack.  Riding through Oval junction, I normally have about a dozen cyclists within hailing distance.  It's nice to be part of a group, but, tbh, partly it's reassuring to have a witness if I get hit :-\

But it was really weird.  London's a strange place without bikes...
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #162 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »
Oh yeah. Forgot to mention.  On the way home, I rode all the way to the last junction.  I didn't even see snow on pavements till I got to Carshalton - not even near Mitcham Common.  Then, as I came up to a steep T junction on to a busy road, I experienced wheelslip.  Next turn off, I had to follow the wheeltrack up the hill.  At the top, it looked a bit icy, so I dismounted.  And nearly fell over.  Then carefully walked down our street, which was glassy smooth, and a world away from SE1...
Getting there...

« Reply #163 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:05:49 pm »
I think I saw three bicycles on my commute this morning, two of which were BSOs, and the other was a Brompton.  I overtook all of them. ;D

Cyclists seem even worse than car drivers for avoiding going out in the snow.

Worrying comments about you slipperyness Clarion, since I haven't left yet.  I wonder how "interesting" the last half a mile (which I couldn't cycle on this morning) will be this evening. :o

« Reply #164 on: 18 December, 2009, 11:25:30 pm »
My commute home was very similar to that into work, insofar as the half nearer to the centre of town was almost entirely snow free, whereas the half on the Croydon side had the remnants of snow on the footpaths, and some roads.

Around Norbury I use a small section of shared use path, which crosses between two no-through roads.  One of these roads was scary, the snow had been compressed into a sheet of ice that was difficult to stand on.  Having seen that, and knowing some of the roads nearer home would have had a similar level of traffic, I took the alternative route via the Purley Way, which I normally avoid on the grounds that two of the junctions are lethal.

It wasn't until I got to my own road, which is similarly no-through, that I had to get off and walk again.  Just turning into the road I could see the sheen of the ice, so didn't even attempt to cycle on it.

I think the temperature around London must be hovering around zero, so once you get outside the heat island effect, it drops a degree or two, and everything freezes.

I don't think I saw any bikes on that trip, but at this time of night, it's not unusual to see none.

« Reply #165 on: 19 December, 2009, 09:59:54 am »
My commute home was mind numbingly cold.  I lost the will to live by half way.  I had my Gore face mask on, my Bones jacket, my Assos winter.ll tights, Assos toe covers and overshoes, woolie boolie and silk socks, Assos system gloves, Gore head warmer and Gore helmet cover with my Endura Baa Baa base layer and a normal summer jersey as well.  I was warm enough, comfortable even BUT the wind was numbing my brain but my head was warm ;D

What can you do about that?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #166 on: 19 December, 2009, 12:40:33 pm »
Take your brain out until you get home?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #167 on: 19 December, 2009, 01:43:22 pm »
Get a windstopper Buff Grub :D.

My (unexpected bonus) commute* was great today. The roads were really quiet, hardly anyone out at all. I walked down our road, which was challenging enough :-\, then rode from there, just walking over a couple of patches of sheet ice across the next road. The worst bits were on the residential streets, where people had cleared their windscreens by pouring a bowl of water over them, leaving patches ice to avoid >:(. And the woman accelerating towards me on a narrow, icy road, whilst using one hand to put her seatbelt on. Cretin. Otherwise it was lovely, there were beautiful shadows cast across Mitcham common by the low sun on the snow and quiet roads. Maybe I should work more winter Saturdays :).

*I finished till after the new year on Thursday, officially, but younger charge has chicken pox, so I'm in today.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #168 on: 19 December, 2009, 01:59:07 pm »
I walked to Sainsburys to do a spot of shopping, and could clearly see the ice that I decided not to cycle on yesterday night.  It was a good decision.  The footpath has much less ice, but I almost fell over several times, the road looks dodgy to drive on, let alone cycle.

Away from the main roads, the lesser used roads around here are really unpleasant.  I think abandoning the FNRttC last night was probably a good idea.  We would probably still be walking the icy bits!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #169 on: 21 December, 2009, 08:11:18 am »
Ah well, had to happen. First frozen water bottle of the season. Hey ho.  Looking on the bright side... the days start getting longer and we're probably only 6 to 8 weeks away from the first snowdrops.  </fotheringtontomas>
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #170 on: 21 December, 2009, 09:39:08 am »
Crispy beard! :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #171 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:14:38 am »
I think I'm becoming (even more of) a wuss as I get older.

I've not been on the bike since I dismounted at the top of our road on the commute home friday (and nearly crashed to the ground immediately after :-[ ).

This morning, I walked down our street with the intention of mounting up to ride down the next road.  A short space was fairly clear, but the twinkling back of my headlight beam told me there was loads of black ice.  I unclipped & continued very slowly.  Then I got off, and skidded about on the ice.  I was in the middle of a junction, with thick, glassy ice all around me, and I felt like going home & getting the train. :-\

But I persevered, slowly, and contending with some mind-numbingly stupid driving around me, hoping that I'd get to a gritted road fairly soon.  But there was black ice beyond the mid-way point of my ride (Tooting).  Then I was on the red roads, and it was pretty clear, but all the other cyclists were passing me, as I was thinking back to the ice I'd ridden over, and didn't fancy dropping like a sack onto the road in front of a prat in an B*W at Stockwell.

Got to work, and negotiated the increasing ice after I got off the New Kent Road.  The car park at work was too much, so I walked again.

Surprisingly not the slowest ride I've done, but it wasn't anything like my target speed.  I got to work on time (though not to my desk).

Could be a slow journey home. :-\
Getting there...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #172 on: 21 December, 2009, 10:44:54 am »
I'm not in work.  This morning I left the house at the usual time. Road on the snow down my street (a close) to a slightly busier road. Bike slips sideways as I turn on to it.  I cowardly decide this road is not rideable and walk the bike to the lane.  The lane is narrow so the cars who really should not have been on it in these conditions all followed the same track. Clearing a wheel path for me.  I ride down the safe sections and walk the others.  I approach the A road, my plan was get here however then I would be okay. I cross the road point the bike westward, mount and ride forward.  As I climb the  slope my wheel spins and I think about what may happen on the big descent beyond. So he who turns and rides away gets to ride another day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #173 on: 21 December, 2009, 11:00:05 am »
CommutenotsoFar today, then? ;)

Discretion etc...
Getting there...

« Reply #174 on: 21 December, 2009, 11:20:31 am »
My ride in today was pretty much OK. I should stop playing on the commons on the way in and stick to the gritted, cleared and perfectly usable road though. Having a mountain bike with decent treaded tyres feels great fun on grassy, ice and gravel covered paths and means the temptation is too great. However, on the road it feels pretty horrible.