Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2484217 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #675 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:05:19 pm »
Homeward for me was a drag too.  Strong cold wet headwind.  Depressing.  I lost the will to live at about the 12 mile mark  ;D

Forget to mention this morning I had an excellent draft behind a grain lorry.  Just checked my top speed and I managed 45.9 mph  ;D  No wonders it was so choppy in his wash when I came out from behind to turn off left.

p.s. Pieter, I am about to tap you on the shoulder and wave as I go by  ;D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #676 on: 24 February, 2010, 07:23:18 am »
A glorious morning here in the bottom right hand corner of Gloucestershire.  Light in the sky at about 0550 and no need for headlamps from about 0630.  Next to no breeze and patches of light mist.  Lovely.

The only fly in the ointment was that my legs are absolutely cooked after last night's slog home so I couldn't take advantage of it.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #677 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:29:09 am »
Charged back to the hotel last night, did it in 34 mins, down 1:30 on the trip in.  This morning was good and bad, in equal measure.  The good was playing cat and mouse for a couple of miles with another cyclist, before he turned off towards Ruislip.  Bad was not one, but two, motons trying to kill me by pulling out of side streets into my path.  Thankfully, on both occasions, they were greeted by a VERY loud "WHOAAAAAAAAAAA" from me, which made them stop....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

spindrift

« Reply #678 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:31:41 am »
Strange last night, a sporty hatchback overtook and a yoof leant out of the passenger window and went "Waaauuuggghhh!!!".

I have no idea why, I hadn't held him up, it was a straight road and a straightforward overtake. Weird.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #679 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:03:30 am »
As I've already yesterday, the ride home yesterday was bloomin' cold. In comparision, this morning I had to stop to remove my buff and Pertex top because I was overheating. This is clearly a sign spring is on the way because it was the first 2010 ride that I've managed without wearing my Pertex or Altura NightVision.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #680 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:18:36 am »
I CBA to ride home in the falling but not settling SNO last night so got a lift.
Penance is Other ThingsTM meaning you can't ride when the weather is nicer.
This daylight thing is quite good though. I could get used to that.   :)

« Reply #681 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:24:17 am »
Thick, thick fog

Grey cars without lights on.

Did someone dump a supertanker load of stupid on the road this morning?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #682 on: 24 February, 2010, 06:03:40 pm »
Thick, thick fog

Grey cars without lights on.

Did someone dump a supertanker load of stupid on the road this morning?

Perhaps that was the run-off from the supertanker that dropped such quantities of diesel on the roads that in some places the shiny spill covered the entire lane. >:(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #683 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:17:49 pm »
Very warm and moist this morning.  No trucks to draft either.
Very windy and moist coming home.  Blood sugar had dropped to 4.4 by the time I got home so it was no wonders I was hallucinating  ;D

« Reply #684 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:24:53 pm »
Blood sugar had dropped to 4.4 by the time I got home so it was no wonders I was hallucinating  ;D

Although you're still well in the "target zone" you also get all the nasty "hypo" symptoms too, although it's 4+ mmol/L?

Shitty isn't it?
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #685 on: 24 February, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »

p.s. Pieter, I am about to tap you on the shoulder and wave as I go by  ;D

*** Waves ***  as Grub swirls past and disappears off into the distance into a cloud of fog and sleet...  ;)

ian

« Reply #686 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:21:23 pm »
Pestilence. War. Famine. Death. Or, as their friends refer to them: the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Well, it turned out to be a bad day for them. Seems they may be out of a job, for I’ve seen the true agent of our doom.

Now, as a creature of habit, I’ve mostly avoided the vehicular maelstrom that is school collection time. Until today. Pesky software gremlin jumped into my breakfast porridge and swam around till late-afternoon, delaying my daily baptismal in the local pool. My route takes me past a school, which I believe is a place were during the day they imprison children, mostly to keep them from scaring Daily Mail readers into early incontinence.

I would like to say I rode past the school. But it was surrounded by an impermeable wall of stationary cars. My initial thought was that some freak science experiment gone wrong had turned the school into a giant magnet that had reached out and yanked in cars from several streets around. Surely, considerate parents wouldn’t have ignored all the ‘no parking’ signs, the bright yellow zig-zag lines, the ‘keep clear’ notices, the threats of £120 fines. Surely they wouldn’t just sit there, blocking the road, choking out fumes, in a great mass of toxic, grinding metal. Surely.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have nothing on the Fifty-or-so Drivers of Bromley. Pestilence. War. Famine. Death. Meet your successor: Stupidity. And prepare to have your equine-elevated asses kicked so hard you’ll feel like you have given cause for Chuck Norris to become mildly miffed.

Now, OK, I suppose your blessed little angels may require the services of a chauffeur. The pavements could be dirty, after all. There are all kinds of unconscionable scenarios, so I salute you for doing the right thing. But you know, just a teensy, little element of criticism. I just have to let it out. I’ll try and be constructive.

You are morons. Your stupidity is so visible that it can be seen from space by a myopic astronaut. Park your car somewhere safe, somewhere where there aren’t signs warning, begging, pleading, for sake’s of your own children not to park. Switch off the engine. Walk the extra hundred metres to the gate. Your legs are unlikely to work loose and fall off.

Think for the briefest flicker of a moment. Think that this is the selfish, lazy example you are setting to your children.

You are not people. You are mulch. If your children follow this path, then I think we may be a teensy bit doomed.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #687 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:31:36 pm »
Ian, you've done it again.
POTD.
[Bow in awe smiley]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #688 on: 24 February, 2010, 09:47:56 pm »
Blood sugar had dropped to 4.4 by the time I got home so it was no wonders I was hallucinating  ;D

Although you're still well in the "target zone" you also get all the nasty "hypo" symptoms too, although it's 4+ mmol/L?

Shitty isn't it?

Yep, 'tis our life.  But on the up side, it is good training for audax night riding  ;D

« Reply #689 on: 24 February, 2010, 10:54:27 pm »

Hmm, I feel OK at that sort of level.  The worst cycling level I ever had was about 1.5 mmol/L, barely within the capability of the meter, when I just got home after a FNRttC.  I couldn't have cycled much further at that point!

I've found that I have to eat pretty much as much food as I can keep down after having breakfast on a FNRttC, otherwise I easily suffer from a really bad hypo.  FNRttCs have caused my two worst ever hypos.

ian, unfortunately I have to agree with you about people picking up / dropping off kids at schools.  They are by far and away the most moronic group of drivers you're likely to meet.  Luckily my commute very rarely hits the couple of locations with schools at just the "wrong" time.  One typical occasion was when some of these geniuses decided to park two deep on the stop line of a (single carriageway wide) traffic light.  Yes, that's the best place to stop guys. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #690 on: 24 February, 2010, 11:03:20 pm »
At that level I am still okay in the legs as long as I am in zone 2 and not trying too hard (below 70% of max HR) but what does go is my head  ;D

gordon taylor

« Reply #691 on: 25 February, 2010, 06:07:38 am »
Thank you, Ian. You have brightened up my day already.  ;D ;D

« Reply #692 on: 25 February, 2010, 06:28:34 am »
Superb Ian.  POTD for sure.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #693 on: 25 February, 2010, 08:06:42 am »
First barn owl of the year.
Lots of bird song in the hedgerows.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #694 on: 25 February, 2010, 09:26:23 am »
What a lovely ride!

Yes, I know, what about the cagers?  Well, yes, they were there, and one tried dooring me as I went round the first corner from home.  But mindless idiots will always exist, and I overtook an awful lot of them this morning. 

I wasn't looking forward to my ride, and was a bit 'faffy' before going out, but the first thing I had noticed on waking this morning (besides the most beautiful woman in hte world lying beside me) was light shining through the curtains.  And so I had my first proper daylight commute of the year - sun shining, no snow, no rain, and miraculously no incessant headwinds.

I wasn't very fast - not by my usual standards (and definitely not by others') - but it was the fastest journey of the month, and reminded me why we ride.

:) :) :)
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #695 on: 25 February, 2010, 10:04:41 am »
plus points
it wasn't raining
it was reasonably warm
beat my time up Wallace's Hill was 3m50s, now 3m36s
let a car pass and it bipped a thank you

minus
Turning right to take new short cut.  This is on a downhill so breaking is required.  One handed, as is arm indicating.  Hit a groove worn in the road, yikes.  Momentary loss of control at 20mph with traffic behind, not nice.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #696 on: 25 February, 2010, 10:36:09 am »
 +
Matched my best commute time so far this year, despite heavy traffic
Exceeded evens easily on every open stretch that wasn't more than a slight ascent
Out-accelerated the "rapha guy" - as if he was standing still*.
A couple of drivers were very courteous
Maintained some very high cadences, over 25 mph in something like 42 x 16, over 30 mph in 42 x 12 (on 26" tyres)

-
Some moronic moton behaviour
Traffic

I can't wait to get the new road bike commissioned - I never imagined being so quick on an MTB with Marathons.

*Last time we crossed paths, he worked very hard to get ahead and stay ahead of me. Until he blew a light and I let him go. Oh, and I was towing a trailer at the time!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #697 on: 25 February, 2010, 10:37:58 am »
Nice ride in, as others have said, in daylight.  Wind low and running well, apart from two little issues:

1) the road over the M4 at Harlington (A437) is pothole central, and the former contents of those potholes is spread across the road :(
2) an idiot from Imperial coaches tried killing me by passing me on a really narrow bit of road, with traffic coming the other way!!!!

Other than that I did it in ~30 mins, so getting better and faster :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #698 on: 25 February, 2010, 10:40:38 am »
That's good news.

I'm reminded that, for the first time this year, I've been riding with a lot of other cyclists, and I'm not just one of the pack, but the one who gets away first from the lights and stays ahead.  That's how I like it.  I'm not competitive, but it's a good indication things are going OK.
Getting there...

« Reply #699 on: 25 February, 2010, 11:11:48 am »
I was going to start a new thread entitled 'What a great ride in today!' but I see I don't need to!

Weather, temp, wind and clothing all just right and nobody tried to kill me which was a great bonus.

Happy bunny!

R