Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462511 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1275 on: 03 May, 2010, 11:43:30 am »
Being on the way to anywhere on a bike is to already be at fun :)

But I understand your trio of >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #1276 on: 03 May, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »
I'm at work n all. The only one in the whole firm here today. The ride was ok, nice and quiet.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1277 on: 03 May, 2010, 01:43:09 pm »
Working here too.  Still, the roads were quiet.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1278 on: 03 May, 2010, 05:53:00 pm »
Well I'm also at work, but that's so I can use the laser printer and stuff. ;D

The trip in wasn't that quiet, and for a few miles around the Croydon end was actually very busy.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1279 on: 04 May, 2010, 07:44:35 am »
I had a very poor overtake this morning by a lorry. I've managed to remember the reg plate, how do I go about tracing the owner of it please so I can complain? No company livery was noticed as it had a big container on the back.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1280 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:11:38 am »
First proper commute in in nearly two weeks.  Felt good, and was fast enough, given recent breathing issues.

I banged the side of a van that cut a corner as it passed me.  At the next traffic lights, as I was two vehicles ahead of him, I felt very vulnerable, especially as there were two nasty pinch points coming up before the relative safety of the bus lane. 

First the car passed, then a long gap before the van passed, nice & wide, just as the road widened. :thumbsup:

The nip in the air passing through this city's many shadows just served as a counterpoint for the lovely warmth of the sun on my arms and face.

It's good to be back. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #1281 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:04:21 am »
A fairly benign commute in today, but when I got to this roundabout, I was surprised to see that it's now been marked out as a four way stop.

Are four way stops even legal in the UK?  Possibly they haven't finished it, but at the moment there are basically straight double dotted "Give Way" lines from each road (instead of the curved Roundabout ones on the Google image).

That was an appalling roundabout, since westbound cars coming from Emmanuel Road rarely stop to see if anyone is crossing the roundabout (as I do every night from Cavendish Road towards Tooting Bec Common).  I'm not sure that a junction which no one understands is better. :-\ ???

« Reply #1282 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:10:46 am »
A fairly benign commute in today, but when I got to this roundabout, I was surprised to see that it's now been marked out as a four way stop.
Prep for traffic lights to go in perhaps.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1283 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:12:23 am »
I hope so.  It's a hazardous junction place where driver behaviour is hazardous for cyclists, whichever way you're going.  A rude shock after the Common.
Getting there...

« Reply #1284 on: 04 May, 2010, 11:58:37 am »

Are four way stops even legal in the UK?  Possibly they haven't finished it, but at the moment there are basically straight double dotted "Give Way" lines from each road (instead of the curved Roundabout ones on the Google image).

That was an appalling roundabout, since westbound cars coming from Emmanuel Road rarely stop to see if anyone is crossing the roundabout (as I do every night from Cavendish Road towards Tooting Bec Common).  I'm not sure that a junction which no one understands is better. :-\ ???

I'm guessing that the roundabout is going back in since they have just resurfaced the road. There are no poles or electrical works for traffic lights.

I'll be mad as hell if they don't resurface the bit on Cavendish Road which is full of huge potholes.

« Reply #1285 on: 04 May, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »
Nothing much to report; it was very cold at 6 and a bit this morning. 1h45 later I was at work, with a smile, but only just getting warmer! Lovely sunshine though and, at last, reduce wind levels. Are we really in May?!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Gaz

« Reply #1286 on: 04 May, 2010, 01:46:37 pm »
a relentless headwind today, everytime i looked at the speedo and felt like i was pushing it i was only doing around 18mph :(
Follow me on Twitter
My Youtube Channel - Urban Cycling - Dangerous driving and cycling.

« Reply #1287 on: 04 May, 2010, 03:11:00 pm »
I'm guessing that the roundabout is going back in since they have just resurfaced the road. There are no poles or electrical works for traffic lights.

I'm not so sure, the original markings were curved, and the new ones are dead straight.  I suspect this is going to be left as a four way stop, which do seem to be used from time to time in the UK.  They appear to be meant to only be used on very lightly used residential roads, and it's arguable how lightly used this one is.  They also seem a mite pointless, since the rules are essentially the same as if you consider it a roundabout. :-\

I'll be mad as hell if they don't resurface the bit on Cavendish Road which is full of huge potholes.

Yes, since that bit has been getting worse and worse over the last few months.  It's an exercise in slalom to avoid all the holes now.

« Reply #1288 on: 04 May, 2010, 03:16:59 pm »

I'm not so sure, the original markings were curved, and the new ones are dead straight.  I suspect this is going to be left as a four way stop, which do seem to be used from time to time in the UK.  They appear to be meant to only be used on very lightly used residential roads, and it's arguable how lightly used this one is.  They also seem a mite pointless, since the rules are essentially the same as if you consider it a roundabout. :-\

Except if it was a 4-way stop. They would have solid lines, not dashed lines.

« Reply #1289 on: 04 May, 2010, 04:16:14 pm »

Actually, that doesn't seem to be the way that they are done in the UK.  Possibly the term is a little bit of a misnomer, they seem to be more like "Four Way Give Way".

« Reply #1290 on: 04 May, 2010, 07:17:04 pm »
Sorry, can I ask again how to find the owner of a vehicle from the reg plate please? I would like to complain. I'm lucky to not need to complain very often but this one was worth it.

« Reply #1291 on: 04 May, 2010, 07:35:36 pm »
Sorry, can I ask again how to find the owner of a vehicle from the reg plate please? I would like to complain. I'm lucky to not need to complain very often but this one was worth it.

I think you need to use Form V888, which is sent to the DVLA.  It will cost you £2-50, and you will need a good reason for the request.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1292 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:00:41 pm »

There isn't an easy method. Lots of sites (RAC etc) will identify a vehicle type from a reg plate but not the owner.

There's a CTC site for reporting bad driving (I can't find the link at the moment,) or perhaps just report it in writing to the Police?

« Reply #1293 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:06:26 pm »

Actually, that doesn't seem to be the way that they are done in the UK.  Possibly the term is a little bit of a misnomer, they seem to be more like "Four Way Give Way".

Looks as though you're right Tim, the road markings all seemed to be finished tonight, but no sign of a roundabout. however, the cars seemed puzzled by the new tarmac and paint and I did get my right of way which was sort of a shock in the circumstances.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1294 on: 04 May, 2010, 10:11:56 pm »
I actually had a commute today.Not the usual hop across the landing from bedroom to office.I've put the essential details in the "Have You Been Out Today" thread 'cause  it's as much a holiday as business excuse or visa versa IYSWIM :)

« Reply #1295 on: 05 May, 2010, 11:12:09 am »
A fairly uneventful commute, which is good, although I got part way in before I realised that I'd taken my lights off earlier when I popped out to pick up a parcel with the trailer.  Ho hum, I guess that just makes sure I leave early today!

When I was crossing Chelsea Bridge, I noticed that there was a group of Police Officers (or similar, they may have been Specials or PCSOs) who appeared to be stopping cyclists cycling on the footpath.

They were on the Northbound side (iyswim), which does have a No Cycling sign at the start of the Bridge (more or less where the last little bit of cycle path rejoins the road).  The other side is a bit vague, since there are some cycle paths signs which look like they may be relevant, however looking at cycle path maps in the past, I don't think they are, it looks like cycling is verboten on that side as well.

Luckily I was cycling 100% legally on the road, in fact I don't think I've ever cycled on that footpath (I did cycle on the other footpath a few months back, but the entire bridge roadway was closed due to an accident, and I asked the police officer on duty if it was OK to walk across the bridge footway, and he said it was fine with him if I cycled. :thumbsup:).

A slightly odd time to be stopping cycle traffic, since by 10-30, you wouldn't be getting the vast number of commuting cyclists that you would have gotten two hours earlier.

NickM

« Reply #1296 on: 05 May, 2010, 11:41:00 am »

Not to mention that bloody great crater on Rossiter Road

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1297 on: 05 May, 2010, 01:08:34 pm »
The five miles took me somewhat longer today.

Because I walked it.  :)

Trying to get fit again.  ::-)  I'll be doing it once a week.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1298 on: 06 May, 2010, 01:02:59 am »
I got a rather alarmingly close overtake from a skip lorry.  It gave me the right collywobbles.  It was particularly irritating that he chose to overtake at speed and give me about 6" of space before slamming the brakes on and screeching to a halt at the red light.  On a wide dual carriageway.  I suspect that he was peeved that I wasn't in the bike lane - that would be the bike lane that runs to the left of a left turning lane going to a carpark, where you then have to cross the lane, and then along the left of another sliproad/bus lane out of the car park that leads to a set of lights that can't be triggered by a bike ::-).

On the plus side, at the next junction a large white truck stayed well back all the way onto and around the (two lane) roundabout, and waited for a properly sensible space with zero parked cars or oncoming traffic to pass me once we were off the roundabout - I did go like the clappers round it, and as soon as it was safe for him to get past I went into free-wheeling gutter-clinging mode to make it really obvious that I was expecting him to pass. And I gave the driver a HUGE grin, wave and thumbs up (and shouted thanks to him, although I doubt he heard).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1299 on: 06 May, 2010, 09:24:27 am »
I stopped off to vote on my way in to work.

Then a mile down the road got left-hooked by a B*W.

Hah!  Too late, Posh Boy! ;D
Getting there...