Author Topic: Green & Yellow Fields 300km, 00:01 Saturday 20th April 2013  (Read 13299 times)

Chris S

Re: Green & Yellow Fields 300km, 00:01 Saturday 20th April 2013
« Reply #75 on: 21 April, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »
Breckland is characterised by shallow, sandy soil which on nights clear and still, radiates heat to space very efficiently. The upshot of this is an area that's often Bloody Freezing on a still night. Santon Downham regularly appears as the "Coldest Night" location; it's also in a slight notch in the landscape formed by the river Little Ouse ("Valley" would be too strong a term).

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #76 on: 21 April, 2013, 08:37:46 pm »
Excessively long, boring write up here (you may be able to tell I don't work in marketing!):

http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/super-randonneur-2013-my-600km-ride/

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #77 on: 21 April, 2013, 09:05:43 pm »
As we crossed from Norfolk to Suffolk, just south of South Lopham we passed between the source of the River Waveney on our left, which reaches the sea at Great Yarmouth and the source of the Little Ouse on our right which travels in the opposite direction to meet the sea at King's Lynn all from a height of 26m.
RRtY, SR, LEL 2013, retired 2014, tempted back by PBP!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #78 on: 21 April, 2013, 09:06:46 pm »
Excessively long, boring write up here (you may be able to tell I don't work in marketing!):

I liked it, that's a long couple of days with no kip, chapeau.

Chris S

« Reply #79 on: 21 April, 2013, 09:36:32 pm »
As we crossed from Norfolk to Suffolk, just south of South Lopham we passed between the source of the River Waveney on our left, which reaches the sea at Great Yarmouth and the source of the Little Ouse on our right which travels in the opposite direction to meet the sea at King's Lynn all from a height of 26m.

Indeed. And when it floods along there (a regular event in winter) and the two waters join, Norfolk is technically an Island  :thumbsup:.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #80 on: 21 April, 2013, 09:49:34 pm »
first, i want to thank Tomsk for organising this ride and accepting my very late entry. 300km of smooth, gently rolling and traffic free roads - my favourite combination! as others said the chill at night was colder than forecasted and my fingers were getting cold towards the morning in glove liners and summer mitts on top. but riding at brisk pace and flexing arms from time to time prevented them from going numb. water in a bottle froze as well, so i was mildly dehydrated riding two-three hours without a drink.. three of us (ekimeno and Rick(?)) reached burnham market and failed to find an atm or anything that's open at that time. luckily, 20min later a shop owner arrived to open his shop and signed a receipt. i started to get dozies in the morning and needed some drugs (caffeine and sugar). soon after we saw a garage and ekimeno suggested we should get some coffee - oh yes! our companion said he will carry on, and after a very welcome cup of mocha and chocolate two of us rode the next section enjoying blue skies, rising sun and just being on bike there and then.
we reached wymondham and ekimeno went for a sit down breakfast; i was still not hungry, so chose to carry on. feeling pretty strong i wondered if i can reach manningtree in 3hrs (88km). i saw a cyclist in the distance in an orange top but took ages to get any closer (like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick). eventually after overtaking him he continued to ride behind me few bike lengths apart for next half an hour (looking relaxed and sitting upright, grrr :)). then i recognised a familiar gillet in the distance and found Rick(?) enjoying the sunshine and taking it easy :thumbsup:. averaging 30kph into a mild headwind has also sapped my energy and in stowmarket i realised i won't meet my "deadline" so eased off and rolled into manningtree station at quarter past noon. had some ice cream and set off for the remaining 125km to london.
<...>but the allure of fish and chips and lazing about in the sunshine won me over.  :thumbsup:
i had a rough patch after leaving manningtree, so could only take a leisurely ride to heybridge basin for some fish&chips and a sponge cake with custard then carry on to london. all would be good, if not one driver who blinded by the setting sun passed too close clipped my elbow with a wing mirror.. the mirror broke, the driver stopped ("does it hurt? it's only a mirror..") and i took contact details just in case. the elbow seems ok today, a bit tender, but not swollen or black (and it's the same elbow that was broken in another accident and still gives me problems). we'll see.
so yeah, reached home pretty knackered, but with many happy memories and miles behind.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #81 on: 21 April, 2013, 10:26:56 pm »

Marketing or not, it's a great write up, Marcus   :thumbsup: 

(Hmm, "hyper rando", eh?  With BCM, LEL and Flatlands already booked, I would be only one 600 away from a hyper myself ... tap tap tap ... wonders aloud ... are there enough weekends? ... how badly would my ar$e hurt? ... would the kids still recognise me? ... etc.  :facepalm:)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #82 on: 22 April, 2013, 10:46:59 am »
I give up, two attempts at a post both timed out so I will echo many of the sentiments about cold, sleep deprivation, working the day before etc. Not ideal preparation, but I want one of those shiny Essex SR medals. Curry was a good way to meet some new and old faces, not sure what the locals thought as one commented that it must be a gay meeting when they saw my Mapei bibtights.

After the first hill I thought that was the last I would see of anyone, but rode close to recumbent man to Mildenhall, where a Latte and extra clothing suddenly cured the cold and tiredness. Whilst having coffee a local character was telling us how he drinks 17 pints on a Saturday night, two big bottles of Jack Daniels over a weekend and then drives his lorry. Keep away from Mildenhall!

Suitably refreshed, sped off to Burnham Deepdale to meet up with Ben and Mike from previous rides, and plenty of time in hand. Down to Wymondham no problems, Tomsk and a few others just leaving, so still in touch and only 88k to go. Only a disaster could stop me now, the bike was new steel Genesis so mechanical was unlikley, just the body to worry about. This is when the discomfort started, the last traces of tendonities in both ankles and wrists, and a not quite broken in Brooks World Traveller saddle meant lots of shuffling about, and hoping that body parts did not snap. 

Needham Market could not come quickly enough after losing my way briefly a couple of times, another 5k added because of broken or turned round signs, into the corner shop where the owner knew where I was going and highlighted the 2 for £1.50 Lucozade deal, which I gratefully accepted, then on to the final section where the climbs up the old A12 and to East End were waiting. Nothing snapped, so into Manningtree station in the vain hope of seeing a bike or two, no chance! Bought my paper at the Coop in Manningtree at 18.33 so happy with the day, ready for Asparagus and Strawberries in May. Back to Manningtree/Mistley this weekend on the Witham Westerly, assuming that I recover from the Cambridge 300 the day before.

All part of the LEL bigger picture, I am sure that I will meet many of you over the coming months.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #83 on: 22 April, 2013, 10:55:27 am »
^Well done!

There was a missing sign (to New Buckenham) that clearly caused issues - hopefully people didn't get too lost at that point.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #84 on: 22 April, 2013, 11:07:53 am »

Not boring at all, marcus! OT, I rode with Neil (who has the Brompton) towards the end of Yr Elenydd, so it was nice to see the picture of Abergwesyn Common at the top of your blog!

Peter

Edit  Sorry, Neil is Nick!

« Reply #85 on: 22 April, 2013, 05:15:12 pm »
Good write up from Marcus et al. Not much to add really so I'll give you a run down of mood swings instead.

Pre ride curry  :thumbsup:
Lost my enthusiasm for audax by the time I got to Mildenhall. We went to the garage which let us inside but the coffee machine was out of action. What's the point of cycling all this way if I couldn't even have a cup of tea? (or coffee??) :hand:
Regaining a bit of composure on the ride up to Swaffham despite being dropped by the group I was riding with. Apparently all this early season training has turned Huggy in to a racing snake! Thanks to Andyf for hanging back with me. :-*
Watching the sun slowly rising over North Norfolk drinking home made nuun slush puppies from my frozen water bottle. ;)
Discussing wanting a f*ck off breakfast at Burnham and getting just that ! :smug:
The sunshine and Huggy and Tomsk keeping the pace to Wymondham (kiss for you both also) :-*
The dubious looking yet delicious lasagne at Waitrose in Wymondham. :P
The lovely lady at Needham Market newsagent dispatching her receipts. All is well with the world by now. Sitting in the sun drinking milkshakes and eating chocolate. :D
Hitting Manningtree at 17.05. and home by 18.00  :thumbsup:

Thanks to Huggy, Andyf and Tomsk for the company and letting me stop for a wee more times than I care to mention.
Just 3 more rides for the SR already!

« Reply #86 on: 23 April, 2013, 07:32:36 am »
I would also like to thank Tomask for accepting my late entry as well.
I linked up with Paul who i had ridding on previous rides.  Hope you made it back ok with you'r knee which did not give you more problems.
I was going well untill the last 50km when tiredness got the better of me as i wanted to sleep.
Still made it back at 4:15 absolutly tired.

Halloween

• It's party time....
« Reply #87 on: 23 April, 2013, 09:09:34 am »
Excellent reading all the reports - not much to add really. Enjoyed the pre-ride curry which is a great way to start an Audax. Rode much of the way with Wilkyboy and Caroline, including the unscheduled but very welcome McD stop at Swaffham when the water bottles froze. Wilkyboy was suffering on the run in to Burnham so Caroline and I went ahead but we saved him a seat for breakfast  :D The 3 of us left together but Wilkyboy began slowing down again and waved us on, so Caroline and I scooted off for a picnic in the sunshine at Wymondham. Stripped off a layer for the sunny sections and made good time to Needham. Caroline was slowing a bit on the last 25k, in fact I thought I'd gone deaf at one point but she'd just dropped off the back on what passes for a hill around these parts. Back to Manningtree just in time to catch the 15.55 train home  ;D
Home by 6, shower, food, then out to a local dance with an excellent 1940's swing band (and some local beer) - good end to the day.

Thanks Tomsk for the organization of the ride and the curry.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #88 on: 26 April, 2013, 08:15:14 am »
Thanks to Huggy, Andyf and Tomsk for the company and letting me stop for a wee more times than I care to mention.

;D

How is your attempt to change the AUK rules going?  Collecting receipts or relying on a gpx track is so trying.  Proof of passage by scent marking is a far better idea  ;)

Well done to everyone that took part  :thumbsup:

« Reply #89 on: 26 April, 2013, 12:13:26 pm »

;D

How is your attempt to change the AUK rules going?  Collecting receipts or relying on a gpx track is so trying.  Proof of passage by scent marking is a far better idea  ;)

I would be really good at that! Unfortunately I wasn't in sync with anyone I was riding with so there was a lot of tutting and rolling of eyes every time I needed to stop. Huggy would fail as I don't think he actually went to the loo on the whole ride ::-)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #90 on: 26 April, 2013, 12:18:23 pm »

;D

I would be really good at that! Unfortunately I wasn't in sync with anyone I was riding with so there was a lot of tutting and rolling of eyes every time I needed to stop. Huggy would fail as I don't think he actually went to the loo on the whole ride ::-)

This rule change would just be for you and bloomers (doesn't seem like much to ask).  The rest of the world (Luddites) would continue collecting receipts and submitting gpx tracks.

By the way, now Huggy is a racing snake he doesn't need to go to the loo, he just sheds a skin every now and then.  Clever!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #91 on: 27 April, 2013, 09:08:29 pm »
Well, I made it as far as Fakenham this morning.  I then turned around and went home again.  (Fakenham is 101km from Ipswich)
I saw 2 pretty much yellow fields ie mainly yellow with the odd patch of green in the 60 km between Attleborough and Ipswich (it was dark until then)
Just thought you'd all like to know.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: 27 April, 2013, 09:17:44 pm »
The oilseed rape will be fully out just in time for the Asparagus and Strawberries, when there won't be any sign of the latter, of course ::-) Bring back global warming.

Also, just a little reminder, in case there are any of you out there who STILL HAVEN'T SENT YOUR BREVET CARDS IN YET......All going in the post to the Validation Secretariat very soon!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #93 on: 29 April, 2013, 08:01:56 pm »
Just found the 'Mogul' business cards buried in my wallet- a reminder to like them on Facebook/twitter @mogulthe

Very nice food and very nice people.