Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400559 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2100 on: 10 April, 2020, 11:09:04 am »
BBC

Just scroll down to timestamp 20:27

« Reply #2101 on: 10 April, 2020, 11:17:03 am »
Thanks PB.

I guess we should be blaming the "teams from Eindhoven University of Technology and Leuven University" (who?) for ths unsubstantiated nonsense, but as you say also the BBC and Torygraph for "premature" publication.

I note they also recommend cyclists should ride 20 metres away from others  ::-)
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2102 on: 10 April, 2020, 11:38:19 am »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2103 on: 10 April, 2020, 02:42:50 pm »
I have complained to the BBC for repeating "David Icke" like unsubstantiated content and pointed out that at present there is a small minority of individuals behaving like self-appointed enforcers who will accost and runners and cyclists for going about their lawful and as yet harmless business.

I have also suggested that they might want to check the validity and relevance of any material they publish as par for the course but even more so in these difficult times.

I have accused them of being reckless and negligent.

Bet they ignore me.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2104 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:53:46 pm »
Did 14k with Junior the Elder today.
Pretty much my running route to work and back.

That's the longest I've done by some margin since injuring my Achilles a couple of months ago!
Previous longest was 8k.
Feeling it a bit twingy now.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3279659338

« Reply #2105 on: 10 April, 2020, 07:11:42 pm »
Looks like Aunty has realised and published a 'caveat' post on the "love bozo" news feed.

It's not the unequivocal 'this is bollox' caveat but it does say that there is no evidence re virus transmission in this.

Of course, that will placate the morons, NOT!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2106 on: 13 April, 2020, 07:34:27 pm »
first time in a long while (over a year) managed my benchmark 4.3km loop at under 4min pace; it was hard, and now i've got a dry corona cough.

« Reply #2107 on: 13 April, 2020, 07:41:08 pm »
That's good going and matches my fastest-paced runs under 5k on flat routes.  No wonder you were coughing!

My stupidly self-inflicted hamstring is still niggling and hurts after anything longer than a few k.  I'm trying to hold back but am desperate to build up the miles.  Having to content myself on the newly setup turbo trainer, which doesn't seem to impact the hamstring at all.

Davef

« Reply #2108 on: 13 April, 2020, 10:07:29 pm »

Sub 20 5k pace is impressive for a training run. I am enjoying the local wildlife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2109 on: 14 April, 2020, 08:16:07 am »
Cv9 Friday and did nearly 7km.CV10 should have been yesterday but with run then physical gardening Friday with giving blood squeezed in. More gardening sat and Sunday as well as just generally being busy sorting stuff round house till relatively late and cycles to and from allotment sat as well as work up allotment my legs were saying no so day off and was tempted to go this morning before work but will stick to Mon/weds/Friday and go tomorrow

« Reply #2110 on: 14 April, 2020, 08:28:23 am »
first time in a long while (over a year) managed my benchmark 4.3km loop at under 4min pace; it was hard, and now i've got a dry corona cough.

Good run! I get that cough after races (particularly fell races); I think it's just a bit of temporary lung damage.

My average pace has dropped a fair bit. My pre-breakfast 5-10km road run is loops of the village (100m up and down for every 5km), so at 6am I'm lucky to run faster than a 5 minute 1km split. Longer runs are generally offroad. The routes from home are harder technically (sheep tracks on steep stony descents) than where I normally run, so a few of my runs have average pacing in the 7-7.30 per km range, reflecting significant areas of walking both up and down.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2111 on: 14 April, 2020, 11:49:58 am »

Good run! I get that cough after races (particularly fell races); I think it's just a bit of temporary lung damage.

If I go really hard at anything (hill climbs on a club run, fast 2k or 5k on the ergo) then I can get a bit of a dry cough afterwards - I've always assumed it is exercise induced asthma (which would be consistent with the lungs getting irritated/damaged from an ultra-hard effort) - and also the reason why so many top cyclists struggle with asthma.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #2112 on: 14 April, 2020, 01:25:44 pm »
^^^Is this the so-called "sprinter's cough" which I suffer from after maximal efforts?  I've been hoping that I can distinguish it from the corona cough because it is usually accompanied by a metallic "blood" taste in the back of the throat during the exercise  ;D
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2113 on: 14 April, 2020, 03:54:23 pm »
^^^Is this the so-called "sprinter's cough" which I suffer from after maximal efforts?  I've been hoping that I can distinguish it from the corona cough because it is usually accompanied by a metallic "blood" taste in the back of the throat during the exercise  ;D

sometimes i get the blood taste, sometimes not after a very hard effort. yesterday i didn't, and i suspect my cough was also caused by a large volume of cold air going in and out (temperature was around 7'c). everything is fine today.

« Reply #2114 on: 14 April, 2020, 04:11:39 pm »
Chasing the sunrise and the miles, I was out just before sunrise this morning.  Another 5.5km, another satisfying start to the day.

Looking forward to coffee and porridge before a shower and a special parcel all the way from Hong Kong...

Really good to ‘see’ you getting out regularly. Hope you’re keeping safe and well?

Very well thanks.  Yourself?

I'm into a routine now so I should be able to keep going provided that I avoid illness, injury or an attack of the lethargy.

My push for 10k seems far less daunting than getting back to 5k ever did.

I am definitely into a groove now.  I am running every other day leaving the house for my warm up walk to the rec at 05:40.  Did my second 6k this morning following on from 6k on Sunday morning.

I really am enjoying running again and it feels far far safer and more rewarding for me than cycling ever did.

Oh, was I typing out loud ...   😊

« Reply #2115 on: 15 April, 2020, 09:57:44 am »

If I go really hard at anything (hill climbs on a club run, fast 2k or 5k on the ergo) then I can get a bit of a dry cough afterwards - I've always assumed it is exercise induced asthma (which would be consistent with the lungs getting irritated/damaged from an ultra-hard effort) - and also the reason why so many top cyclists struggle with asthma.

Hmm, maybe exercise induced asthma. I used to always get it for a couple of hours after a TT, sometimes accopanied by inabilty to take a full breath in. It didn't hurt, but I could just feel that I didn't have full lung expansion.

If I've done a particularly hard run (30-45 min fell racing really does it because that's 'sprint distance'  :sick:), then the cough and discomfort can linger for about 24 hours. I had to have enforced rest days on the day after evening fell races last year, because I couldn't get my CV system going the next day.

« Reply #2116 on: 15 April, 2020, 10:04:27 am »
I wonder if these post exercise problems could be improved by some training with a PowerBreathe type device?

I had one for a while but never got into the habit of using it. Binned it as I had left it in the back of a cupboard for ages and thought I'd never get it properly clean again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2117 on: 15 April, 2020, 10:51:31 am »
it looks like "eib" is a better term for this temporary irritation, as not everyone who occasionally has eib has asthma (which is a more serious condition).

While it was thought for years that breathing cold air makes EIB worse, more recent studies indicate that the dryness of the air, rather than the temperature, is more likely the trigger. Cold air typically contains less moisture than warm air, and quickly breathing dry air dehydrates the bronchial tubes, causing them to narrow and restrict airflow.
also
Athletes should check with the governing bodies of their sport about the medicines they are allowed to take to relieve their EIB or asthma symptoms. Another resource is the Prohibited List, published by the World Anti-Doping Agency. Some medications (including beta2-agonists) are considered performance-enhancing drugs and cannot be used by athletes in competition unless a Therapeutic Use Exemption is granted for medical need.

https://acaai.org/asthma/types-asthma/exercise-induced-bronchoconstriction-eib

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2118 on: 16 April, 2020, 02:44:22 pm »
Junior wanted to have a go at Brimmond Hill, a stiff local climb.
It's one of my lunchtime loops from work.
The off-road navigation is a bit tricksy the first time.

But from home, that would make it Half-Marathon distance, and a hilly one at that, and I doubted my Achilles was up for that.
So I rode to the 4k point, stashed the bike behind a hedge, and ran the remainder with him, out and back as far as the bike.
That cut my run down to a hilly 15k, which was plenty enough for me.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2119 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:22:58 am »
local loop around the o2 arena, before the rain comes later on today.

« Reply #2120 on: 17 April, 2020, 05:42:44 pm »
local loop around the o2 arena, before the rain comes later on today.

Looks nice.  Is that a screenshot from Strava Summit?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2121 on: 17 April, 2020, 07:11:27 pm »
thx, it's a so called "instagram story" (that stays on ig profile for 24hrs before it disappears)

« Reply #2122 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:47:18 pm »
Easier week this week. I missed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday last week, then ran 5 consecutive days including 12.5 miles on Sunday - plus digging at the allotment. After a 6 mile dog walk on Monday I found I had mildly heavy legs on Tuesday’s run... so just ran 7 on Thursday and did another 6 and a bit today. I’ll probably take it easy tomorrow too.

Fitness seems to be building gradually, so keen to make sure I get enough rest.

« Reply #2123 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:49:37 pm »
And still undecided about big clumpy shoes. The Hola Rincons are very squishy and cushioned, but still feel big and I do like it when I pull on a pair of flats or fell shoes.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2124 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:28:06 am »
And still undecided about big clumpy shoes. The Hola Rincons are very squishy and cushioned, but still feel big and I do like it when I pull on a pair of flats or fell shoes.

After a year off running because of bruising and pain in no2 and no3 toes on the left foot, I visited the new podiatrist practice that had colonised the old doctors' surgery.  They pointed out that arthritic damage meant my toes about 10 degrees rather than the 60 - 90 degrees they should.  She recommended Hoka shoes.  I've been out on them a few times, including 10k mostly on trails a couple of days ago and so far the feet have been good.  So for me the big squishy shoes are quite helpful compensation for the toes that no longer squish like they should.  But there were a couple of times when I hankered for my old light fast Salomons.  I just reminded myself it was comfort or nothing.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)