Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333311 times)

Ruth

Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #275 on: 06 February, 2014, 07:07:11 pm »
Deep Blue Sea's on tonight!  Sharks!  Samuel L Jackson!  Hurrah!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!1

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #276 on: 11 February, 2014, 10:11:46 pm »
Anyone catch "Inside no. 9"? I've just watched the first episode on iPlayer, typically dark but funny, as we've come to expect from Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith, it could become a classic, only time will tell...
Yes. We liked it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #277 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:07:22 pm »
Just watched the first ep of the new series of Line Of Duty.

O

M

F

G

:o
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #278 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:09:29 pm »
Now watching Inside No.9 (2nd ep). Three LOLs already. Genius.

citoyen

« Reply #279 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:40:17 pm »
Gold star for the Beeb for tonight's telly. Outstanding work.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #280 on: 12 February, 2014, 11:37:46 pm »
Just watched the first ep of the new series of Line Of Duty.

O

M

F

G

:o
Wasn't it, just? Brilliant stuff.
Inside No.9 recorded, last week's was great.

citoyen

« Reply #281 on: 13 February, 2014, 01:00:16 am »
Line Of Duty was so good, I expected the characters to break out into Danish at any moment.

citoyen

« Reply #282 on: 13 February, 2014, 01:42:11 pm »
You'll get this if you saw it...

;D

« Reply #283 on: 13 February, 2014, 11:10:39 pm »
Line Of Duty was so good, I expected the characters to break out into Danish at any moment.

That's the one with the very nicely done trailer isn't it...I shall iplayer it.

Jakob

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #286 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:05:02 am »

Superb, I was laughing my head off from the point the big dog wandered in near the beginning until ...

(click to show/hide)

They'll have to go a long way to improve on that episode...just superb
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #287 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:11:51 pm »
You'll get this if you saw it...

;D
Very good!

watched Ep1 last night. We were blimmin confused for the first 10mins, but in hindsight I can see that was hard to avoid. Really got into it later on. The ending [or at least the window element] was a bit of a shock  :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #288 on: 19 February, 2014, 11:36:31 pm »
Ep2 just as good. Fewer window moments but still breathtakingly gripping. Adrian Dunbar is superb, and I have to revise my previously low opinion of Keeley Hawes - she's playing for the bafta judges in this.

Wednesday has suddenly become top telly night - Line Of Duty, Inside No 9, Outnumbered, Suspects*, and just starting tonight on BBC4 was the new Michael Mosley series about parasites, which I've had to record the repeat of later in the week cos it clashes with several of the above.

*C5 police procedural - no Line Of Duty but worth watching.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #289 on: 20 February, 2014, 12:01:50 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01mv2md/hd/Dissected_The_Incredible_Human_Hand/

(Not for the squeamish, for obvious reasons.)

As barakta once famously said "Most people are born with thumbs, and are given thumbs to play with from an early age.", and there's a lot of thumb-pr0n in this.  The programme shows some of the more subtle aspects of why hands are really cool, and how we use them to do different tasks - day to day stuff that we never really bother to think about.

Worth watching, and unless you're in the body-fettling business, you'll probably learn something.

(We've just spent half an hour comparing our use of grips for some common tasks, and discovered that recessed multimeter knobs are one thing that barakta's hands really don't have a good way of doing.)

red marley

« Reply #290 on: 20 February, 2014, 06:29:15 am »
Ep2 just as good. Fewer window moments but still breathtakingly gripping. Adrian Dunbar is superb, and I have to revise my previously low opinion of Keeley Hawes - she's playing for the bafta judges in this.

Absolutely. Can't wait for next week. I love all the shifting balance of power affecting many of the characters. It also passes the Bechdel test with flying colours.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #291 on: 20 February, 2014, 02:02:04 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01mv2md/hd/Dissected_The_Incredible_Human_Hand/

(Not for the squeamish, for obvious reasons.)

As barakta once famously said "Most people are born with thumbs, and are given thumbs to play with from an early age.", and there's a lot of thumb-pr0n in this.  The programme shows some of the more subtle aspects of why hands are really cool, and how we use them to do different tasks - day to day stuff that we never really bother to think about.

Worth watching, and unless you're in the body-fettling business, you'll probably learn something.

(We've just spent half an hour comparing our use of grips for some common tasks, and discovered that recessed multimeter knobs are one thing that barakta's hands really don't have a good way of doing.)

we watched that - it was well cool!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #292 on: 20 February, 2014, 05:38:05 pm »
Wednesday has suddenly become top telly night - Line Of Duty, Inside No 9, Outnumbered, Suspects*,
We've taped the 3 without asterisks!

But you forgot BBC3's weekly dry academic documentary. What was it called .... oh yes,  The Truth about Webcam Girls. Didn't see much, but it was quite interesting! Possibly not in the right forum/thread ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #293 on: 20 February, 2014, 05:47:31 pm »

BBC3's weekly dry academic documentary.

;D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #294 on: 24 February, 2014, 07:11:00 am »

Superb, I was laughing my head off from the point the big dog wandered in near the beginning until ...

(click to show/hide)

They'll have to go a long way to improve on that episode...just superb
We watched 2&3 last night.

Ep2 justifies my licence fee. Ep3 couldn't compete, but was still great.
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #295 on: 28 February, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »
And a new series of Jonathan Creek starts tonight on BBC1.. And he is married. Wonder if they'll use the same old windmill.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

fuzzy

« Reply #296 on: 05 March, 2014, 05:07:43 pm »
Not on tonight but Maxine Peake is back in Silk :thumbsup:

red marley

« Reply #297 on: 05 March, 2014, 11:25:15 pm »
Stewart Lee's latest Comedy Vehicle, currently on iPlayer. Absolutely perfectly crafted meticulous comedy that had me laughing out loud more than anything I can remember in the last few years. If probably helps being the same age, living in the same bit of London with a similar outlook and a tendency towards self-analysis and smart arsedness. Hilarious.

« Reply #298 on: 06 March, 2014, 07:50:04 am »
I fell asleep during the 'phone conversation'. I found it all a bit tired, and to be honest I think he's ripe for putting out to pasture, or, if there isn't the goodwill, being euthanased. He's read his own reviews and believed them, he's trying to trade on being 'clever', but his cachet of melding a bit of Mark Thomas with a bit of Jack Dee and covering it with viscous gelatinous smug seems pretty pedestrian up against the unpredictable danger and excitement of people like Frankie Boyle.

And what was that horseshit with Chris Morris? Really? Is that the best they could do with those resources?

Watching Stewart Lee was like watching Lee Mack on diazapam, but without the humour.

« Reply #299 on: 06 March, 2014, 02:59:53 pm »
Oooh.  A split opinion.
He's read his own reviews and believed them.
From his website it looks as if he does read his reviews (youtube and message boards, at least)
"A cultural bully from the Oxbridge Mafia who wants to appear morally superior but couldn't cut the mustard on a panel game."
Lee Mack, Mack The Life, 2012

"A sneering tosser." Rowing Rob, Guardian.co.uk

"Smug elitist liberalism. Who is this cunt?" Tokyofist, Youtube

"I hate Stewart Lee with a passion. He's like Ian Huntley to me." Wharto15, Twitter

"Stuart Lee = Cock." Brendon, Vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk

"Stewart Lee is a massive asshole." Secretdeveloper, Youtube

"I saw him at a gig once, and even offstage he was exuding an aura of creepy molesty smugness." Yukio Mishima, dontstartmeoff.com

"I used to think stewart lee was quite good, then i spoke to him at edinburgh festival. Arse doesn't cover it. Ah well." Bobby Bhoy, Twitter

"Stewart Lee. Boring as hell and unfunny." Peter Ould, Twitter

"Five minutes of Stewart Lee makes me want to kill myself . Completely unfunny, dated, painful SHIT." Anon, westhamonline.com

"One man I would love to beat with a shit covered cricket bat." Joycey, readytogo.net

"The most overrated smug twat ever." Syhr, breakbeat.co.uk

"A small, sad man." FBC, finalgear.com

"Stewart lee is a shit comedian doing a shit impression of a shit comedian. If he was burned alive it could raise serious cash." Mrdavisn01, Twitter

"I hope stewart lee dies." Idrie, Youtube

"Fuck this Stewart Lee twat, fuck anyone that agrees with him, and FUCK PC." Mearecate, Youtube

"3rd rate comedian and politically correct maggot." Anonymous, The Northfield Patriot

"All this man seems to be able to do is dance about going "ah ha ha ha ha ha!' So incredibly unfunny." Emilyistrendy, Youtube

"Is Stewart Lee supposed to be funny? Because he's really not." Keilloh, Twitter

"Lee was a good comic. Unfortunately now he comes across as a chaotic drunk." Foxfoxton, Youtube

"See that stupid look on his face....you just know he would have that exact same facial expression if he was getting the kicking of his life. He's a total dick cheesecake." Neva2busy, dontstartmeoff.com

"Stewart Lee, I will shove my thick cock in your throat you gay lord." Hiewy, Youtube

"Prime example of a well educated looooooser." Rudeness, Youtube

"If this is supposed to be a "Comedy Vehicle," maybe someone should call the RAC to get it started." Gwaites, Digitalspy

"If this is supposed to be a "Comedy Vehicle," someone had better call the RAC to get it started." Gmanthedemon, bbc.co.uk

"If this is supposed to be a "Comedy Vehicle," someone had better call the RAC to get it started. Or push it down hill. Stewart Lee should have 'cunt' stamped onto his forehead with a branding iron."' Coxy, Dontstartmeoff.com

"Stewart Lee should jump in his 'comedy vehicle' and drive it off a very high cliff. Whoever this youth is, he sounds about as funny as three weeks of really bad weather!" Shane, Beverley, Dailymail.co.uk

"I want to run Stewart Lee over in his own comedy vehicle." Robert Gavin, Twitter

"Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle seems to be driving itself up his backside." Jamespearse, Twitter

"Only a Sun reader could mistake this dross for intelligent comedy. Probably laughs at farting noises too. Here's to hoping this particular vehicle runs off the road. Under a train." NevW47479, UKTV.co.uk

"Comedy vehicle? more of a comedy 'right off!'" Guest, Dontstartmeoff.com

"The boringly infantile Stewart Lee." Peter Ould, Youtube

"This guy sure knows how to run a joke into the ground." Mpf1947, Youtube

"I tried to watch Stewart Lee but had to stop due to him being shit. He addressed an insular cadre of socially challenged, prematurely middle-aged, pseudo-intellectual men, I thought." Z-factor, Twitter.

"Stewart Lee isn't funny." Slothy Matt, Twitter

"Liberals like this guy would just love to live in totalitarian state where only their views could be expressed and opposition views crushed. They are childish hypocrites. They should stop reading the guardian and get in the real world." 12dgdgdgdgdgdg, Youtube

etc.

Looks like you're not alone in your opinion Flatus. As for me, I'm with Jo and other socially challenged, prematurely middle-ages, pseudo-intellectual men like him.  He makes me laugh.