Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814534 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1075 on: 20 July, 2008, 08:42:16 am »
I did 214km today, my longest ride since my crash. I am feeling very very proud of myself this evening. I did the route that I crashed on with Warburton who was with me the day I crashed. It seemed fitting to take up where I left of with the person whom I was with at the time. We did it as  DIY Perm, afterall our entries are still pending from October.  I was quite emotional going round 'that corner'. I still am as I think about the day and the last time we did the route.

MSeries is still happy :)

Well done, mate. Glad it's behind you now.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1076 on: 20 July, 2008, 02:27:51 pm »
Well done MSeries, you've worked hard to get back and achieved it in an incredible short space of time.

We had too much wine last night and stupidly agreed to get up at some ridiculous hour for a ride. I woke at 4am to the sound of the wind rattling the windows and initially I decided to go back to sleep. However fifteen minutes later I was still awake so I dragged myself downstairs and put the kettle on. We were out by 5.30am on deserted roads but fighting a blustery north westerly. We battled north through Kirkham, Singleton and Thornton to Fleetwood where they were setting up a fair, scattered through the streets for 'Tram Sunday', whatever that is. (Go Google it if you really want to know). We then turned south down the coast and were blown along the prom through Bispham and Blackpool stopping in St. Annes for a lovely breakfast. Home in Freckleton for 10am after a very satisfying forty miles or so. Our first ride from out new location and a jolly good start it was.

« Reply #1077 on: 20 July, 2008, 03:37:53 pm »
Well done MSeries, you've worked hard to get back and achieved it in an incredible short space of time.

We had too much wine last night and stupidly agreed to get up at some ridiculous hour for a ride. I woke at 4am to the sound of the wind rattling the windows and initially I decided to go back to sleep. However fifteen minutes later I was still awake so I dragged myself downstairs and put the kettle on. We were out by 5.30am on deserted roads but fighting a blustery north westerly. We battled north through Kirkham, Singleton and Thornton to Fleetwood where they were setting up a fair, scattered through the streets for 'Tram Sunday', whatever that is. (Go Google it if you really want to know). We then turned south down the coast and were blown along the prom through Bispham and Blackpool stopping in St. Annes for a lovely breakfast. Home in Freckleton for 10am after a very satisfying forty miles or so. Our first ride from out new location and a jolly good start it was.

Thanks toekeep, I used to live in Blackpool and know those places quite well.

« Reply #1078 on: 20 July, 2008, 03:53:01 pm »
I've just done a very mild 4 miles with the trailer, to pick up various bits of shopping.  It was surprisingly windy, but easier on the way back, which is always the right way around. ;D  It was also enough for me after 75 miles of FNRttCing, although that does admittedly pale into insignificance compared to the efforts of the likes of MSeries.  Well done on getting back onto the road. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1079 on: 20 July, 2008, 05:18:53 pm »
Nice one MSeries :)

I decided to make up for the fact that I still haven't done a FNRTTC by doing my longest  ever solo ride today. I did 50 miles, going from home (Aldershot) to Haslemere and then down the A286 to Midhurst, then across to Petworth and back from there via Milford and Elstead. I wanted to do the ride in 4 hours, because I wanted to get other things done today too and also because it's a nice round number! Had to cane it a bit for the last ten miles but I made it home with 3 minutes to spare:thumbsup:

« Reply #1080 on: 20 July, 2008, 06:12:36 pm »
Modest 14km before breakfast at 18kmh.  Doesn't sound much but 62 yo, 103kg, 150bpm enjoyed it.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1081 on: 20 July, 2008, 06:15:04 pm »
Well done M series. Getting back after a knockback is always hard.

Shadowed Mrs. J-tsc on her triathlon relay. Meant doing a longer route than her, just to see her three times, and get back to the finish to cheer her on. She was brilliant......
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #1082 on: 20 July, 2008, 08:44:30 pm »

Thanks toekeep, I used to live in Blackpool and know those places quite well.

I know them well too. My grandparents lived in Fleetwood and I often stayed with them as a boy. In fact one of my first longish solo rides was from Shrewsbury to Fleetwood to stay with them after finishing a group youth hostelling tour of Wales when I was about 15.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Chris S

« Reply #1083 on: 20 July, 2008, 08:54:50 pm »
Firstly, MSeries - you are an example to us all of how you can apply yourself, and bounce back from an injury. Bloody Well Done  :thumbsup:.

This weekend was also a turning point for me. It's five weeks since I injured my knee, and it's been feeling better day by day, over the last week/ten days.

Saturday, I decided it was make or break. I've put 3Kg of lard on since I stopped riding - I just had to get out! So I did a favourite 55km loop I have. The GPS claims about 600m of climbing for this loop, which seems surprising for mid-Norfolk, but there you go - it's certainly not flat like Fenland.
Anyway - somehow, despite a soaking halfway round from a cloudburst, I managed a respectable 26.7km/hr average. No pain, no discomfort - until the last couple of kicks up near Castle Acre, so I backed off a little on those climbs. I was on my geared bike - I've pretty much mothballed the fixies - probably for the rest of the year, or until I can get my weight right down.

Today - no discomfort again, so nipped out in a spare hour for a quick 30km. This was a flatter ride, and I put in a 28.1km/hr average. Again, no pain in the knee during, or after the ride.

Feeling pretty happy about progress. That didn't stop me giving the knee some RICE again this evening - juuuusst in case.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1084 on: 20 July, 2008, 08:56:09 pm »
Congratulations, MSeries. It only seems like a few weeks since you posted to tell us about the crash. What an amazing recovery.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1085 on: 20 July, 2008, 11:04:28 pm »
Yesterday, we took the tandem for a bit of a Chiltern-ish ride.  First off, down to the pub in Watlington.  1km mainly downhill :thumbsup:

Then, on a whim, we set off and essayed a part of the Ridgeway.  Quite exciting on a road tandem, but much of it was quite doable.

Met a local who advised us of the best route, and that the Watercress Centre in Ewelme was having an Open Day, and serving tea & cakes.  Hard to resist, so off we went.

After great tea and delicious cakes beside the river, we set off to have a look at Benson Airfield.

It was boring.

So we went a different way, and found that we were going really fast (for us).  Quickly back to the campsite, and more tea.  Perfect. :D
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #1086 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:50:53 am »
After great tea and delicious cakes beside the river, we set off to have a look at Benson Airfield.

It was boring.

Was it windy? A couple of audaxes go out that way (Anfractuous, possibly Upper Thames?) and it's always windy along there.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1087 on: 21 July, 2008, 10:04:18 am »
It wasn't windy down by Benson, but it was fair windy up at Watlington (until i got a kite out :-[ )
Getting there...

« Reply #1088 on: 21 July, 2008, 10:07:42 am »
Too f*****g right. I is back. 214km in ten and a half hours and 70km of fierce headwind.
You is 'ard as nails.   ;D

Really Ancien

« Reply #1089 on: 21 July, 2008, 10:23:21 am »
A 70  odd mile ride round the hills starting from home.  Lunch at the Village Hall in Dunsop Bridge was a Summer Sunday in Seventy Two topped with Teak effect Formica. I was much taken with the profusion of St. Johns Wort, Ragwort and Meadowsweet and by the sussuration of the Aspen leaves just beyond the turning to Cow Ark.

Damon.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1090 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:34:41 pm »
Out into Hamshire today. Crossed the border after climbing Littlegreen. Back lane out to Buriton (a lovely stretch of road), skirted Petersfield and along to East Meon via Weston. I use the Frogsmore Lane because it is pretty, especially when you get to the river. Cut back and then climbed the back of Butser Hill. Fantastic views both ways fron the top. All along the valley and over to the Isle of Wight. Descended and then went down Windmill Hill into Chalton. Cut up the hill to the top of Rowlands Castle, then down through the village. Through the woods and over to Westbourne. Across to West Ashling then uper Water Lane to Funtingdon so I could go along the West Stoke road before getting back through Chichester. Finished off with a spin along the seafront at Bognor then home. Bit tired, the wind was not friendly today....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1091 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:00:07 pm »
Well Saturday! 82 miles into the wind from Wimbledon to Andover. Vicious headwind all the way - hills that I'd hoped to coast down and gain some speed/time I ended up pedalling down.  The A31 in particular was unrelenting. Nearly baled out at several points but changed my midset; just ten miles to x, then 5 miles to y. Found my second set of legs in Winchester about 15 miles from the end and made good speed from there. 15.5mph average speed - faster than some of my commutes!

Only problem was my numb hand - I couldn't use the gear shift normally and had to reach over the shifter and pull it inwards.

Still longest ride to date and I nearly went out this morning before driving home.

« Reply #1092 on: 21 July, 2008, 08:36:28 pm »
Yes, was pootling into work, feeling a bit flat after a hilly 50 miles yesterday.  On the edge of Devizes I see a shadow approaching on the road behind me.  Next thing I know an MTBer is on the cycle path on the shared footpath and is overtaking me.   I watch.  His legs are going some, he is bobbing up and down on the bars.  He initially pulled away and then the full force of the head wind hit him and he just sort of stayed there.
I looked at my legs.  They were rolling around okay so I decided to pick up the pace and my mind a bit.  But, I had to do it without breaking into a sweat or looking uncool.
I started to put down some more power and gradually wound her up into a decent speed.  I then effortlessly floated by and kept it going all the way until he was out of sight.
Certainly broke me free of my melancholic mood.  :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #1093 on: 21 July, 2008, 08:53:33 pm »
Marj did a couple of miles on her Trice on the High Peak Trail.We parked at Parsley Hay after having a late breakfast/early lunch in Hartington.Grand-daughter Emily & I did a bit more(Emily on her mtb & I used a folder) mileage.The weather was glorious as were the views.
All three of us are well pleased:despite Emily having two visits from the p.fairy: with our efforts.Marj & I may do an action replay later in the week depending on weather,work & childcare circumstaces.

« Reply #1094 on: 21 July, 2008, 10:29:47 pm »
14 miles on the tandem with MiniQ.  She asked to go :D  And that was on top of doing about the same last night as well.

I'm getting her trained, he he he.

« Reply #1095 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:45:29 am »
17 mile loop with Mrs Mike last night, the mood of which improved significantly when we realised her back brake was rubbing on the wheel.  And she flew up her 'nightmare' hill :D

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1096 on: 22 July, 2008, 03:20:29 pm »
56km short ride in the Peaks last afternoon - only 1000m climbing. Superb weather. Superb visibility. Could just make out the West Burton power station to the east and nice views of the High Peak to the west.
Met up with no fewer than 3 other cyclists with the same idea.  :)

vince

« Reply #1097 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:33:08 pm »
27 miles in the Peak also: Chesterfield - Barlow - Owler Bar - {toward Fox House intending to drop into Sheffield for coffee with a friend, but she was called to the Police Station, so... } - Longshaw Estate - Frogatt - Curbar <b@$!@£d climb> - Cutthorpe - Chesterfield.

Quite a headwind going out through Barlow, but lovely evening sun  8)

« Reply #1098 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:47:48 pm »
14 miles on the tandem with MiniQ.  She asked to go :D  And that was on top of doing about the same last night as well.

I'm getting her trained, he he he.

Wonders will never cease.  MiniQ "dragged me out"again this evening.  Just got back from a gently undulating 20 miler in the vicinity around Thame and the Phoenix Trail.  Included a bit of gentle rough stuff to get her warmed up to the idea of doing the HONC on a tandem in '09...

« Reply #1099 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:22:34 pm »
yup, short & nasty interval session tonight, much fun.  Almost.