Author Topic: carbon fork with 1" steerer and eyes  (Read 1646 times)

carbon fork with 1" steerer and eyes
« on: 18 February, 2009, 03:04:37 pm »
Does anyone still make/have for sale a carbon fork with 1" steerer and mudguard eyes? ITM used to do one but don't now. There must still be a lot of 1" steerers out there.

peanut

Re: carbon fork with 1" steerer and eyes
« Reply #1 on: 18 February, 2009, 08:18:00 pm »
not sure why you'd want to use an ultralite carbon fork then boly heavy mudguards onto it but the early Bianchi forks were 1" carbon but no eyes although you can get guards these days that have small brackets that fix round the fork arms. see Cav's bike on front of CW last week

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 18 February, 2009, 08:42:51 pm »

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 18 February, 2009, 08:54:12 pm »
not sure why you'd want to use an ultralite carbon fork then bolt heavy mudguards onto it

Think of it the other way round.  You don't need heavy forks just because a bike has mudguards.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2009, 09:45:32 pm »
The kinetic is prob. the obvious one. Ambrosio and ITM are the others but the norm now is 1.125 steerers. Carbon forks just give a nice damped ride on the front, but they don't have to be ultralight.

« Reply #5 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:05:04 am »
I ran an Alpina on my audax bike for a while, carbon with alu crown and steerer.  I would say that clearance no good for anything above a 25c tyre with a mudguard in place, and the fork itself was whippier than I had expected though i am a big fella.   

I had a steel one made and it improved the ride no end.

It is still hiding in my workshop somewhere but it has a Chris King crown race on it which has to come off first when I eventually get round to it..

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:33:17 am »
There's a bloke on eBay that sells new Issac 1" carbon forks for about £60-70.  His listings say that they're not made any more and are getting scarce, but he seems to have enough of them that I keep seeing them on there.

I know Issac forks are good because they were offered to me by Roberts when I built my Custom Audax frame up, but I chose steel so I could mount my E6's on the rack eyes.  I'm now wondering about getting some carbon forks (hence my interest...)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2009, 08:52:06 am »
Is it vital to have the eyes?
I have recently fitted an old set of 1" carbon forks with 28mm tyres to my fixie using the cable ties and P-clips.
Its amazing how much clearance you can get, and its not such a difficult job.

« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2009, 01:42:39 pm »
It's that one-inch steerer that's the problem. It's 'obsolete' hence the problem

« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2009, 03:57:49 pm »
Ribble have two different carbon forks with 1" steerer's. No eyes though.

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2009, 04:02:32 pm »
mudguard eyes on the front are a minor hassle; clips can be bought from any LBS for next to nothing (or else bodge them from those very small lamp brackets); the 1" steerer is obviously vital as is the brake drop; what calipers are you using? I manage with short drop calipers and full mudguards but anything more than a 23mm tyre (which I perfer out of choice) and it gets a bit cosy.