Author Topic: Avenue Verte in France  (Read 3886 times)

Martin

Avenue Verte in France
« on: 30 July, 2018, 11:00:16 pm »
son is off to do this in a couple of weeks; I see it's all ex railway until Forge les Eaux but it appears they have re-opened the line South of there;

anyway is it all road bike-able and well signed from there onwards to Paris?

thanks

Re: Avenue Verte in France
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2018, 07:22:00 am »
Some bits around the river Oise may be rough, see https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=79515.0

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2018, 07:52:31 am »
I found the bits I used were a mix of random country lanes (which you could easily pick from the map yourself) and in built-up areas it sends you down narrow footpaths in local parks to avoid perfectly reasonable roads. It’s the kind of thing you’d be swearing at an automated journey planner for sending you. A general feeling of making no progress towards Paris pervades.

Signage is ok, but certainly not comprehensive enough to navigate by alone.

You will find unsealed surfaces - whether they’re road bikeable depends on the weather and your attitude.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:47:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies; enough to persuade me to do it a month later en arriere

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2018, 09:30:27 pm »
The bit to Forge les Eaux is eminently doable on a road bike. I would estimate that every square foot of that section is in better condition than the average condition of Surrey's roads currently.
Rust never sleeps

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2018, 08:12:19 am »
Do you want a copy of the Avenue Verte guide?  I have one (I did it last year at the end of August/beginning of September).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2018, 01:35:45 pm »
That would be nice  :thumbsup:

I've downloaded the whole route onto RWG, what I'm immediately thinking is campsites at 80 and 160k (I will be starting CdG airport and picking it up at St Denis so a bit further than the regular route). I reckon the 80k point is sufficiently rural to pitch up in the woods but a campsite not far off the route at Gournay en Brai would be essential for the 2nd night.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28288759

some of the off road bits seem to show just fields on GMSV so presumably they've been upgraded since (to either cycle path or new railway line! hard to tell)

I've put some almost scrap wheels on which will hopefully survive two trips on the off road bit

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2018, 04:48:21 pm »
I seem to remember that we rode it down to the start of PBP, it was an easy route into the heart of France with lots of historic towns to stop off in for refreshment.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2018, 03:36:56 pm »
That would be nice   :thumbsup:

PM your address and I’ll pop it into the post. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2018, 04:02:03 pm »
When we rode there and back for PBP 15 we took to the roads between Forges and Paris. I did a route sheet for that and there were not too many turns. We went via Vernon though so less direct than what you are probably planning.

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2018, 12:27:09 pm »
Hi Martin - a chance to post the link to my write up of doing AV 4-5 years ago; my first multi day tour....http://www.richmay.co.uk/avenueverte/  :-)

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2018, 11:27:57 pm »
Thanks CO! excellent article

good call to stop in East Grinstead Pizza Express a regular for me

the big Sandstone building in your link is where the man who wrote "Good King Wenceslas" lived; I was there when my son's school sang it on the centenary

« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2018, 07:37:20 pm »
Enjoyed the write up CO.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 04 October, 2018, 07:09:26 pm »
I'm 215k in with 55k to Dieppe tomorrow. The photos of châteaux on route must be a different Avenue Verte! Definitely better to start from Paris IMO, found the suburbs pretty depressing would not want to end there. Great campsite at Forge les Eaux. The middle section is all on road and lumpen but also very scenic

Seen very little actual ex railway line so far, does anyone know if the Gisors to FLE section was ever part of the route? Despite having reopened as a railway it's sitting rusting ATM

« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:25:19 am »
In my fairly recent experience ( in France but on another cycle network route) it’s always worth having a decent map as well, because there are fairly frequent “ barre” bits where the route is closed for maintenance. My guess is that this happens most after the key summer season, but I’ve nothing but experience to support that view.

« Reply #15 on: 05 October, 2018, 11:00:31 am »
The first time I did it (in spring a few years ago) I encountered two closed sections on the railway section. The signposted diversion for one of them was much lengthier and hillier than expected. So check the map and consider using the parallel (flat, not especially busy) main road if you encounter one.

« Reply #16 on: 05 October, 2018, 01:00:36 pm »
The first time I did it (in spring a few years ago) I encountered two closed sections on the railway section. The signposted diversion for one of them was much lengthier and hillier than expected. So check the map and consider using the parallel (flat, not especially busy) main road if you encounter one.

Signposted diversion? You were spoiled! Where I was there was nothing to suggest any alternative.

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 05 October, 2018, 07:31:36 pm »
On the ferry home great trip highly recommended, only one small diversion I had the route on gps but the signage was excellent:thumbsup:
Will post a report. No photos of red squirrels but I saw one!

« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2018, 07:51:17 pm »
Look forward to the write up Martin.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Martin

Martin

« Reply #20 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:56:53 pm »
Just back from a rematch went the longer route this time via Beauvais (amazing cathedral and free!)
A lot more road bike friendly too!
Final leg to Dieppe sublime as always  8)