Author Topic: PSOs No More  (Read 946 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
PSOs No More
« on: 04 July, 2023, 08:22:17 pm »
Fraser Lowe MPhys (Hons) Edinburgh 2023

I'm fresh out of PSOs.

We arrive at the McEwan Hall mid morning, and the sun is shining. The hall was purpose-built as a venue for graduations, funded by the McEwans of brewing fame. Above the imposing main entrance, a bas relief depicts a graduation ceremony, which has gone largely unchanged since the founding of the University in 1583.
The doorwards are dressed in their formal academic regalia, and a piper and drummer play, resplendent in kilts pleated in the Military Pleat, as is Fraser.

As the time approaches, the doorward sounds a hand bell, summoning the graduands to take their places in the hall. The spectators are guided to side entrances, and we make our way up the stairs to the viewing galleries. The University organist plays ceremonial music which fills the hall.

The murmur intensifies as the hall fills.  The hall is lavishly painted with scenes depicting how the idea of a University was viewed at that time. Around the inner edge of the dome is inscribed: "Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting, get understanding. Exalt her and she shall bring thee to honour."

The hall has a small stage where the officials will sit, and a long curving ramp where the graduands will file past, one by one. The graduands are still taking their seats, and I can see Fraser, in the second last row.

Then, the Master of Ceremonies appears, and stands mid-stage, and a hush falls upon the hall. We are bidden to stand as the Academic Procession enters. The procession is led by the Staff Bearer, leading the choir who take their seats, followed by the Senatus Academicus, then the Bedellus carrying the ceremonial University Mace, leading in the Vice Chancellor in his full ceremonial dress. They all take their seats in a carefully choreographed procession.

After a short introductory speech, the Vice Chancellor hands over to the Heads of the Schools of Chemistry, and the School of Physics and Astronomy, James Dunlop, to present the graduands to the VC for the conferment of the degree. In a well-practiced procession, the students are admitted to the ramp one by one, their names read from the Pronunciation Cards which the graduands hand over at the entrance to the ramp.
After the Chemistry students have all passed, there is a brief interlude where an Honorary Degree is conferred on a remarkable alumni, one Professor Sir James Stoddart, a Nobel Laureate for his lifelong pioneering work in the field of Biological Sciences.

Then it is the turn of the Physicists.
"By the authority granted me by the Senatus Academicus...", and each takes their turn to walk up the ramp.
It is Fraser's turn, and he is held back by the white-gloved ramp-warden until he is cleared to go. He walks along the ramp, stops in front of the VC, who confers the degree by touching his head with the Graduation Cap, which is said to be made from the breeches of John Knox.

I think back to many years ago, when I stood in that very spot, touched by the very same cap. The batten has now passed on.
We are bidden to stand once more, as the procession leaves the hall into the bright sunlight, followed by the freshly graduated students.  And it is done.

Fraser Lowe MPhys (Hons) Edinburgh 2023 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Its been a long day. by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: PSOs No More
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2023, 08:50:34 pm »
Congratulations to Fraser!

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2023, 09:04:00 pm »
Kinda good.

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2023, 09:42:40 pm »
Congratulations to Fraser and thanks for such a compelling read.

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2023, 11:12:53 am »
congratulations to all of you  and thank you for the write up which takes me back to mine, my wife's, and our sons.  My wife and I were in Aberdeen many years ago

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2023, 11:24:38 am »
Congrats all round, another two years, and I should be getting rid of my PSO
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2023, 11:30:07 am »
Congrats!

We were in McEwan Hall this time last year for a similar event. (Hopefully you cheered loudly when he was capped? On the official video we can hear us cheering when our daughter was capped  ;D )
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:54:43 pm »
I have no idea what a PSO is.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:56:46 pm »
I have no idea what a PSO is.

PSO = Penniless Student Oaf
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:03:25 pm »
A term pinched off a chap known to me only as “Konnrad”, who claimed to be one at the time.  Around the turn of the Millennium, so he’s probably graduated by now too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2023, 01:13:06 pm »
It's one of those natural progression things, where PSOs go on to become PFYs, and eventually BOFHs, unless they turn to the dark side and become PHBs.

Feanor

« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2023, 03:06:11 pm »
Congrats!

We were in McEwan Hall this time last year for a similar event. (Hopefully you cheered loudly when he was capped? On the official video we can hear us cheering when our daughter was capped  ;D )

Sept 2015:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91609.msg1918763#msg1918763

ian

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2023, 10:12:25 pm »
I don't want to put a damper on things, but that particular Scottish Clown College even gave me a degree. I suppose standards can't exactly slip.

Congrats, of course.

Feanor

« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2023, 10:17:34 pm »
I don't want to put a damper on things, but that particular Scottish Clown College even gave me a degree. I suppose standards can't exactly slip.

Congrats, of course.

Well, they gave me one too, so I can't disagree.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2023, 07:49:47 am »
Takes me back.  My head too was touched by Johnny Knox's disreputable breeches 54 years ago.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2023, 10:11:22 am »
Miss Z the younger is being encouraged to apply to that wretched hive of scum and villainy that produced Johnson, Cameron, Osborne et al.   Luckily we have inside information (SO was, and still technically is, at Magdalen) so she can avoid the colleges that are full of rahs.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2023, 11:43:25 am »
The bad news is that Professor Larrington is retiring* in September.

* from St. John's Coll. Oxfod if not from #MediaTartery
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #17 on: 06 July, 2023, 01:31:28 pm »
Congrats to Fraser  :thumbsup:.

1* year to go for us.

Miss W (a SCIENCE graduate) was due to finish her MA last summer. Unfortunately, a serious illness and almost a month in hospital put the kibosh on that :(. Hopefully she'll finish this year.

* Woofage jnr has just completed Y2 of CS. He may do more, of course, but I'm currently doubting it. His GF is at the "local" university so he's contemplated a Master's there but they want 20-odd grand ::-).
Pen Pusher

rogerzilla

« Reply #18 on: 06 July, 2023, 03:06:33 pm »
The bad news is that Professor Larrington is retiring* in September.

* from St. John's Coll. Oxfod if not from #MediaTartery
I can't remember the names of the colleges recommended, but they were female saints.  All this collegiate stuff is foreign to me, having attended a plebeian redbrick back when redbricks didn't think they were anything special.