Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1108995 times)

alchemy

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #275 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:57:51 am »
I have had a nice few days and I found out that I can still ice skate.  I think my balance might be good enough to start cycle again.

:) :)

« Reply #276 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:14:15 am »
Good to hear, Elleigh and Sam.

My "good news" is that my sister's bf has continued to be insensitive and uncaring towards her. Why good news? Well, let's hope that she will see sense and ditch the shit soon. Tonight he really excelled himself. If everyone who reads this wills her to dump him...

« Reply #277 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:42:51 am »
Oh I thought that was already done and dusted and that she'd given him the boot.

Hope she finds a way to get away and move on.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #278 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:52:58 am »
I have a lot of pent up anger at the moment, all you need to do is point me in the right direction. Can I assume it's Greenwich at the moment?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Elleigh

« Reply #279 on: 19 July, 2008, 10:05:00 am »
Poor H.  I am sending as many positive vibes as possible, with the hope that things work out right for her and that she finds inner peace and confidence as soon as possible.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #280 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:15:54 pm »
I have a lot of pent up anger at the moment, all you need to do is point me in the right direction. Can I assume it's Greenwich at the moment?
No quite close to you Victoria Park, festival was more important arrggh.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #281 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:39:27 pm »
He promised he'd come round last night after she got so upset she was crying on the Tube and missed her stop.

He didn't turn up, nor did he ring her to explain why not. He's at the Lovebox festival in case anyone there sees a big, hairy, ugly bloke with a beer belly and feels like passing on this piece of my mind.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #282 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:04:53 pm »
You do realise that's across the road from me? I'm gonna go search and have words. I got free residents ticket.

My good thing - I've stopped throwing up!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Elleigh

« Reply #283 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:07:10 pm »

My good thing - I've stopped throwing up!

That is good, but perhaps if you do find J, you could throw up on him!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #284 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:12:33 pm »
I was thinking more of an upracut.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #285 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:23:13 pm »
She is very withdrawn but calm this morning. I wish she'd at least get angry, but it seems she's resigned to his behaviour as it's "just what he's like".  >:(

Sam - if you happen to bump into him...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #286 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:57:04 pm »
Well back to the good news, which this thread is about anyway.

I just fitted some bar tape on Stella and I must say I did a mighty fine job, well chuffed with oneself I am :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #287 on: 19 July, 2008, 02:41:30 pm »
Oh and I (I hope) fixed the dripping toilet too :)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #288 on: 19 July, 2008, 03:37:15 pm »
Well done Woolly.

Just back from Lovebox, no sign of bastid.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #289 on: 19 July, 2008, 06:07:23 pm »
Work experience and camping was seriously good :thumbsup:

« Reply #290 on: 19 July, 2008, 09:05:31 pm »
Mark's Grade 8 organ result arrived today, and it's a distinction. Not an earth-shattering top-in-the-country kind of score, but a comfortable few marks above the magic threshold nevertheless. There's many a slip etc. but this result makes an offer of an Oxbridge organ scholarship a distinct possibility. Then all he has to do is get straight 'A's at 'A' level and he's in. Sounds easy when you say it quickly, doesn't it? He now has a hat-trick of Grade 8s - piano, violin and organ. I can just about play the recorder.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Elleigh

« Reply #291 on: 19 July, 2008, 09:15:14 pm »
Mark's Grade 8 organ result arrived today, and it's a distinction. Not an earth-shattering top-in-the-country kind of score, but a comfortable few marks above the magic threshold nevertheless. There's many a slip etc. but this result makes an offer of an Oxbridge organ scholarship a distinct possibility. Then all he has to do is get straight 'A's at 'A' level and he's in. Sounds easy when you say it quickly, doesn't it? He now has a hat-trick of Grade 8s - piano, violin and organ. I can just about play the recorder.

Amazing.  Fingers and toes crossed for Mark.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #292 on: 20 July, 2008, 02:39:41 pm »
Wassa Grade 8 organ?

Support Equilibrium

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #293 on: 20 July, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »
It means you can play the organ dead good.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #294 on: 20 July, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »
Ah oki :)

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #295 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:35:11 pm »
Wassa Grade 8 organ?

The Grade 8 organ syllabus is here if you're interested. 8 is the highest "grade" level of the ABRSM exam system for musicians. After that it goes on to diplomas. He will be taking his piano diploma next year so the swotty git may have letters after his name before he's left school.

Mark's prepared pieces were the Bach/Vivaldi Concerto (very difficult), the Brahms Chorale Prelude "O Gott, du frommer Gott" (relatively easy for grade 8 as there's hardly any pedalling), and the lively and modern Toccata by the Danish composer Traerup Sark.

He had a stroke of luck in the aural tests as the questions were the same set he'd got in his violin exam. He knew who the composer was but didn't want to give the game away so he "guessed" William Walton. The examiner said, "It could be Walton but it isn't. Can you think of anyone else?" Mark then said, "Well it sounds a lot like Herbet Howells." It turned out the examiner had been a pupil of Howells, and that may have disposed him more kindly towards him.  :-)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #296 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:58:42 pm »

That is a talented young man. Even if it all went pear shaped now, getting 3 grade 8s would still be a great achievement and one to take a deal of satisfaction from. As it is however well, who can tell?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #297 on: 20 July, 2008, 10:30:17 pm »
I am sitting with a bottle of red listening to LoveBox in the park :)

Support Equilibrium

Elleigh

« Reply #298 on: 20 July, 2008, 10:31:43 pm »
I'm home  :), after a rather emotional and draining day.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #299 on: 20 July, 2008, 10:33:43 pm »
Camping is goooooood :thumbsup:
Getting there...