Author Topic: Another Newhaven-Dieppe-Newhaven ferry thread  (Read 12656 times)

Another Newhaven-Dieppe-Newhaven ferry thread
« on: 08 November, 2018, 07:00:31 pm »
A blatant rip off of PhilW's previous post (I'll buy you beer as payment Phil ;D).

I too have bit the bullet regarding booking the ferry and a cabin:

Thu 15th August 2019 23:00 outbound
Fri 23rd August 2019 23:59 inbound

Four berth cabin for both ways so no need to rough it in a chair or on the floor.  A berth in the cabins is £27.50 to cover you both ways.  First come first served.

Cheers

Ian

Phil W

Re: Another Newhaven-Dieppe-Newhaven ferry thread
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:14:39 pm »
Plenty of opportunity of buy beers before ferry if the meetup is as per 2015.

« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2018, 05:01:02 pm »
I was wondering if the social life started then  ;D

Looks like I'm not as popular as you Phil, only got one tentative taker so far, so I may be able to fart to my hearts content without worrying about upsetting anybody!

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2018, 06:04:27 pm »
Hey Ian

I'll grab one to stop my indecision about how to get there...

-Jules

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2018, 06:07:08 pm »
Yes, there was a pub quiz at the meeting point last time.  Ride down from Dieppe is nice, starting with the Avenue Verte and breakfast at a Tabac in Forges (or may have been Neufchatel), then a long cider lunch later on...

I have pointed another rider in your direction but he can be quite slow to do stuff.  Sure you will fill your cabin.

« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2018, 06:56:27 pm »
Hey Ian

I'll grab one to stop my indecision about how to get there...

-Jules

That'll be great Jules, procrastination must stop!

Ian

« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2018, 06:59:32 pm »
Yes, there was a pub quiz at the meeting point last time.  Ride down from Dieppe is nice, starting with the Avenue Verte and breakfast at a Tabac in Forges (or may have been Neufchatel), then a long cider lunch later on...

I have pointed another rider in your direction but he can be quite slow to do stuff.  Sure you will fill your cabin.

Sounds like a perfect start to an adventure, I'm looking forward to all aspects of it!

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2018, 08:03:58 pm »
I responded to you yesterday on FB requesting one of the berths.

Anyway, ferry now booked, cabin sorted, need to book campsite within easy ride of the start. That's it then, all I need to do is ride, and how hard can that be?

« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »
I responded to you yesterday on FB requesting one of the berths.

Anyway, ferry now booked, cabin sorted, need to book campsite within easy ride of the start. That's it then, all I need to do is ride, and how hard can that be?

Yes Bob, you were the person I was referring to as tentative i.e. subject to ferry booking  :thumbsup:

I think Huttopia is the nearest campsite to the start, I'm in 2 minds about camping or going B&B.

« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2018, 09:53:43 pm »
I presume that you have already paid for your crossing and the cabin. If that is the case, I need to pay you. If you send me a PM I will sort it.

« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:45:14 pm »
I have a couple of berths and beds booked in an air BnB 7k from Rambouillet if anyone is interested. Ferrey arrangements as upthread.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:52:41 pm »
Looks like the late night outbound ferry is full for cyclists, though not for drivers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 20 November, 2018, 09:55:31 pm »
Oh.. hope they can cope with at least one trike..

« Reply #13 on: 21 November, 2018, 06:52:28 am »
Oh.. hope they can cope with at least one trike..

Make that 2 trikes!

Although on every other ferry I've been on I'm lodged with the motorcycles.

« Reply #14 on: 21 November, 2018, 08:50:46 pm »
On my return from Zebrugge thats where I was. Have you warned DFDS or do we just rock up? .

« Reply #15 on: 21 November, 2018, 10:07:49 pm »
I phoned them before I booked to try and explain that I was cycling but not a normal bicycle, they said as long as I pedal it it's a bike. At the end of the day it is the load master who determines where everything goes. I have friends with velomobiles who've used this ferry before and had no problems.  I've used Stena, P&O and Isle of Man Steam Packet and never had problems. For me Brittany Ferries are a no-no as they charge motorcycle rates for velomobiles.

« Reply #16 on: 21 November, 2018, 11:02:33 pm »
As I recall there's oodles of physical space and the limit on bikes is but a figment of the booking system.

(if anything there's a limit on wall space to lean two-wheelers against...)

« Reply #17 on: 22 November, 2018, 05:33:14 pm »
Old salts correction 'Wall' - 'Bulkhead'

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #18 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:47:40 pm »
Brittany Ferries do not like cyclists or foot passengers in summer on most sailings as motorists are more lucrative. The sailings are never sold out, they just want £300 for a motorist who will then book a cabin rather than £30 from a cyclists who will book a reclining seat.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #19 on: 15 December, 2018, 11:09:45 am »
I obtained another cycle booking by emailing DFDS. Probably helped it being an amendment.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #20 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:36:05 pm »
Apologies for being late to this: for a Dieppe Raid some years ago the website said there were no spaces for bikes left so I phoned them in Newhaven and was told the number could be increased only by the French side, and they gave me a UK phone number that connected me to the Dieppe side. A nice lady there, fluent in English, simply changed the number of bikes spaces.
So do not despair if you can't book a bike space from Newhaven to Dieppe.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #21 on: 21 January, 2019, 09:23:38 am »
I just booked onto these ferries by phone, no problem

Thu 15th August 2019 23:00 outbound
Fri 23rd August 2019 23:59 inbound

phone number is 0800 917 12 01

Phil W

« Reply #22 on: 21 January, 2019, 12:26:05 pm »
Think this is the pub we met at before the sailing in 2015. They had a pub quiz on from memory.

http://hopeinnnewhaven.co.uk/

« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2019, 02:43:57 pm »
No Phil it was here https://www.flyingfishdenton.co.uk/ and we liked it so shall we meet there again? 

I'll be setting off from SW London after lunch with two others and open to more.

Annoyingly there are now three threads for Dieppe-Newhaven, perhaps an admin could merge them into one?

Phil W

« Reply #24 on: 22 January, 2019, 03:31:26 pm »
No Phil it was here https://www.flyingfishdenton.co.uk/ and we liked it so shall we meet there again? 

I'll be setting off from SW London after lunch with two others and open to more.

Annoyingly there are now three threads for Dieppe-Newhaven, perhaps an admin could merge them into one?

Yeah Twas a good meet up place before ferry in 15, happy to meet there again.  I have direct trains to Brighton now so will likely catch a train to south side of London and ride from there.  Have not looked at which station to get off at, but a crossing of the downs would be nice.