Author Topic: 'flu jab'  (Read 35785 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Flu jab
« Reply #225 on: 29 October, 2018, 10:31:53 am »
Arm seemed to be hurt for a bit longer than last year.

I think that depends on the picador's siting and technique rather than the vaccine, and maybe on your current general level of inflammation. Chappie on radio explained that the vaccine doesn't contain weakened viruses, dead viruses or even complete viruses but rather broken-up bits, and can't possibly give you a disease.

My jabs usually hurt longer than MrsT's because (I think), being diabetic, I'm more liable to develop inflammation than she is.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #226 on: 29 October, 2018, 01:42:54 pm »
we also tend to heal slower, so I'm told.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #227 on: 29 October, 2018, 02:08:21 pm »
It's all jolly, innit?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #228 on: 07 October, 2020, 12:23:38 pm »
Resurrecting this thread... I've read it, but it doesn't answer my question:
Why would the NHS offer a fit and healthy 46-year-old man a flu jab? Mr fimm got the letter, and we don't understand why.
I've always understood that there's only so much flu vaccine to go round, so young and healthy people shouldn't take it away from people who need it.

ian

« Reply #229 on: 07 October, 2020, 12:55:34 pm »
I don't believe there's any shortage in influenza vaccine (leastways not normally). There's a cost to the NHS, of course. I'm not sure their rules, they never offered me one, but I don't get the impression that our surgery are really up on prevention.

Many businesses, however, offer all their staff a flu shot. We get a voucher this year.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #230 on: 07 October, 2020, 01:01:37 pm »
Because they've bought lots of it and are trying to immunize as many people as possible.
If they've got to a point where people in their mid-40s are being offered it then they've either cocked up their vaccine plan or have enough to include them.

I had to cancel my appointment yesterday at work because of  :sick:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #231 on: 07 October, 2020, 01:15:25 pm »
That reminds me, I need to badger my surgery - not had my notification yet.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #232 on: 07 October, 2020, 02:41:23 pm »
Why would the NHS offer a fit and healthy 46-year-old man a flu jab? Mr fimm got the letter, and we don't understand why.

I would expect that that's been sent in error - or to the wrong / misidentified person. Certainly my doctors surgery gave short shrift to the whole Boris announced over whatever age it was vaccination. Effectively, I'd get it if they had any left over. Fortunately we've got the vouchers from work again, although Lloyds Pharmacy are operating a "email us and we'll put you on the list and get back to you when you can book" system. Or, if you have fellow country-persons in the pharmacy, like my colleague, you can walk in and get it straight away  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

IJL

« Reply #233 on: 07 October, 2020, 02:59:03 pm »
I've always understood that there's only so much flu vaccine to go round, so young and healthy people shouldn't take it away from people who need it.

People between 11 and 65 are eligible if they fall into a high risk group, certain issues are coded in the notes and searches pick up the codes
Sometimes codes or searches pick up errors, sometimes its a forgotten pathology

I have had to answer the why question quite a lot this year, the most common answer is BMI or 40 or greater
Asthma that may have settled years ago and not be on treatment (in theory only eligible if on a regular inhaled steroid)
ever having been coded as a carer
There are a few people that the searches pick up and its unclear why even after searching thru the notes

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #234 on: 07 October, 2020, 04:47:22 pm »

People between 11 and 65 are eligible if they fall into a high risk group, certain issues are coded in the notes and searches pick up the codes

I have had to answer the why question quite a lot this year, the most common answer is BMI or 40 or greater
Asthma that may have settled years ago and not be on treatment (in theory only eligible if on a regular inhaled steroid)
There are a few people that the searches pick up and its unclear why even after searching thru the notes

hm... GP coding errors... yeah got a few stories about that...

« Reply #235 on: 07 October, 2020, 05:28:40 pm »
Although I come into the 'whole Boris announced over whatever age it was' population, I decided it was easier to organise and pay for my own. MrsC gets a free one due to being older than me. As it happened we managed to get consecutive appointments at Boot's. I had to pay, and the price was over twice what Asda had charged me two years ago, but in the current circumstances I thought it was well worth it.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #236 on: 07 October, 2020, 05:46:47 pm »
Given we're all locked down, flu is going to have a hard time this winter.

Maybe Bono could organize a fundraiser.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #237 on: 07 October, 2020, 06:12:29 pm »
Friend who is disabled AND super high risk was offered a jab by GP, then cancelled cos they had none, he's phoned every pharmacy in a travelling distance from his home and there's none - this is London.

Friend is UNamused!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #238 on: 07 October, 2020, 06:15:39 pm »
Nevermind GP coding errors. Last night in A&E we realised my admission notes said "history of blood clots" (untrue). What I ACTUALLY said was "had procedure with blood clot risk" which is why procedure nurse AND GP sent me to waste A&E time... When I flagged this up, doc said it made no difference to treatment... But is going to sit and lurk in my fucking medical records along with all the other nonsense and bite me on the arse with something like travel insurance I am sure... I don't understand why 1 min isn't spent crossing it out, adding an explanation and me + clinician signing it.

Medical records CANNOT be treated as sacrosanct while they contain such misrepresentations. I was never asked about other history of clots, I just told them "I'd been sent, cos of procedure and risk".

Procedure risk != history!

« Reply #239 on: 07 October, 2020, 07:14:06 pm »
I had my flu jab yesterday  :)
the slower you go the more you see

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #240 on: 07 October, 2020, 07:20:52 pm »
Nevermind GP coding errors. Last night in A&E we realised my admission notes said "history of blood clots" (untrue). What I ACTUALLY said was "had procedure with blood clot risk" which is why procedure nurse AND GP sent me to waste A&E time... When I flagged this up, doc said it made no difference to treatment... But is going to sit and lurk in my fucking medical records along with all the other nonsense and bite me on the arse with something like travel insurance I am sure... I don't understand why 1 min isn't spent crossing it out, adding an explanation and me + clinician signing it.

Medical records CANNOT be treated as sacrosanct while they contain such misrepresentations. I was never asked about other history of clots, I just told them "I'd been sent, cos of procedure and risk".

Procedure risk != history!

yeah I'd be following that one up, medics seem to be more interested in what they know than what they record... hence how mickey mouse got sent for eye screening... that GP probably made a few quid off him as well.

« Reply #241 on: 07 October, 2020, 10:25:25 pm »
I was told last year that I was to have flu vaccination, but when I turned up - age 64 - they turfed me out as it was an error.

I had my flu vaccination about 10 days ago (first time) and it really made me feel poorly for nearly a week with aching joints & muscles, as well as a serious lack of get up and go. But, I feel that's a small price to pay to avoid getting something that can be as nasty as proper flu.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #242 on: 08 October, 2020, 10:35:53 am »

Mr fimm had a phone chat with a GP and they reckoned either a) error or b) something to do with some checks he had on a possible heart issue a couple of years back (he was getting something odd, I don't remember the details, and they did some investigations and made him wear an ECG for a day and then told him to go away). Anyway we are going to ignore the flu jab letter.

« Reply #243 on: 09 October, 2020, 03:07:48 pm »
Asked in a local (SW15) pharmacy today.

Told them I was under 50 and not in any high risk category at all and don't want to be taking a flu jab away from someone who may need it more than me.

They said they'd exhausted their supply of flu jabs for under 65s and that the waiting list was so long there's no point even adding me to it. They said to call back at the end of the month and enquire again.

(I've got another 4 or 5 local pharmacies I can try, and there's a local Boots too.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #244 on: 10 October, 2020, 09:02:38 am »
Went for my flu jab (over65) today, following a letter from my GP practice.
Hugely impressed. Arrived at allotted time, greeted at the entrance, sanitized hands, directed to next point, within seconds directed to room where a nurse administered jab, and also offered a pneumonia jab, with explanation, which I accepted. An administrator in a corner recorded details.
In and out in less than 5 minutes. It looked as if at least 4 or 5 rooms were operating. All done with a welcoming and pleasant demeanour. Well done my practice!

« Reply #245 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:50:21 pm »
Following my excellent experience yesterday I felt pretty much fine this morning, so went out on the bike for 2.5 to 3 hrs.
Midways through the afternoon ( back home by now) I feel quite grotty, shivery and cold. My joints ache more than the osteoarthritis norm.
Is this just fairly normal, or unusual but ok, or something to keep track of please?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #246 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:56:08 pm »
[Yiddishe (non)mama] Have you eaten enough?

« Reply #247 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:31:04 pm »

Yes, I’m sure I have thanks. For your entertainment HK refers to me as “ large thing”, I obviously refer to her as “ small thing”

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #248 on: 11 October, 2020, 08:06:45 pm »

Yes, I’m sure I have thanks. For your entertainment HK refers to me as “ large thing”, I obviously refer to her as “ small thing”

Some skinny folk are MUCH better at burning fat than their lumpen friends.

A VERY long time ago, the late, lamented hero Rocco told me I didn't need to eat much bread at the Southern Reunion. I heeded his advice but ground to a halt after a few ascents the next day.

Legs returned after a few (yeast bun) teacakes.

« Reply #249 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:01:46 am »
They have set up what they call a 'mass vaccination centre' near us.  It's very large but not up and running yet.
Move Faster and Bake Things