Author Topic: ACME Socially Distanced Group Permanent on Saturday 1st August 2020  (Read 19059 times)

Re: ACME Socially Distanced Group Permanent on Saturday 1st August 2020
« Reply #50 on: 11 July, 2020, 08:09:10 pm »
Tom,

On Thursday completed my first 200 since lockdown, a 220km outing got round in good time and with only 55 mins stopped.

I’ve doubled checked distances and if I ride to Buntingford, do your 200 perm, then ride home it comes to approx 250km. So I’ve got two possible options I’m considering.  Ride your 100, riding to and from Buntingford, meaning about a 140km outing.  Ride your 200, riding to and from Buntingford , a 250km outing.

For the 250km I’m considering leaving the house at midnight 1st August.  Ride to Buntingford , get an ATM receipt. Then riding anti clockwise, so Great Dunmow next. Get an ATM receipt.  This way I get to see the rest of you going the other way once I’m southbound from Chatteris during the day.  If I did this would there be an option to pick up a brevet card as I passed through?  I’d be as quiet as possible!

I’ve missed audax night riding and fancy a bit of it during the warmer months. Plus means I’d be home early afternoon on the Sat.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: 11 July, 2020, 09:28:07 pm »
Ok Phil, sounds like a plan is coming together - why not get an entry in the post (or sign & scan it and paypal the £3 fee, plus £1 for postage) and I'll post your brevet, then you're not dependent on timing and meeting etc? I'd commend riding a reversed route to anyone starting early or late, or from another control, then there's a chance for at least a wave or better, a chat by the road.

« Reply #52 on: 12 July, 2020, 06:10:46 pm »
Sounds like awesome idea. Anyone else contemplating riding to start from London ?

« Reply #53 on: 12 July, 2020, 07:13:35 pm »
Right 250km anti-clockwise starting midnight got nod from wife. Should be fun.

« Reply #54 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:59:44 pm »
Board update today may impact this if more than 6 riders no matter what different times or places we start .

“We will require all entrants to comply fully with the applicable COVID guidance for the area in which the event takes place and the places it passes through. This will include, in particular, social distancing and the limitations on gatherings.  While we appreciate that Permanent events can be ridden from different starting points and at different times, the easiest way for us and organisers to monitor compliance is to limit the number of daily validations for each event route to the maximum number permitted for that area. In the event that the limits are exceeded, none of the rides forming the excess will be validated.  It is likely that changes may occur between now and the 1st of August and we will post any updates on the forum and the website. At present the limits for individuals from different households are as follows:

•   England - 6 people

•   Wales - 2 people

•   Scotland - 3 people

•   Northern Ireland - 30 people“

rob

« Reply #55 on: 12 July, 2020, 10:26:04 pm »
Probably not for this thread, but that’s all a bit nanny state isn’t it ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #56 on: 12 July, 2020, 10:34:09 pm »
Well, yes, but that is inherent in how the AUK Board is treating brevet organisation and validation at the moment. Especially compared to other cycling organisations and other parts of society e.g. hotels and suchlike reopening.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #57 on: 12 July, 2020, 11:02:25 pm »
I saw a club time trial taking place this morning.  A lot more than 6 riders out. 

You can quite easily have 20 riders go round a 200k on the same day without any of them interacting with each other.   I see other organisations finding ways to get people back out again whilst AUK seems to be finding ways to stop people.

« Reply #58 on: 12 July, 2020, 11:53:35 pm »
It's currently a gamble whether people turning up to "socially distanced" events stick with it for more than 5 seconds (if at all).  *

I don't think the board envisioned however many people are likely to turn up to this event at the same time when they decided to allow DIYs and perms.

Whether it's the board's job to police that I don't know.

(* I was planning to do this ride and barely speak to anyone, as per usual)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 13 July, 2020, 07:07:22 am »
Probably not for this thread, but that’s all a bit nanny state isn’t it ?
I couldn't possibly comment ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 13 July, 2020, 07:41:36 am »
Looks like this week's 'New Rules' haven't been thought through eh? Won't make a blind bit of difference to me and I suspect most others. We'll ride anyway, validated or not and keep apart too.

rob

« Reply #61 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:01:33 am »
Looks like this week's 'New Rules' haven't been thought through eh? Won't make a blind bit of difference to me and I suspect most others. We'll ride anyway, validated or not and keep apart too.

I'll either ride round and not enter or ride it on the Monday for the validation.   I'm helping Karla on a 12hr on the Sunday so maybe riding on Monday would make more sense.   I'll check with you if I see you this week.

« Reply #62 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:53:23 am »
Raymond and me usually socially distance ourselves after 1 km so nothing new there. We are doing one of the two distances.

« Reply #63 on: 13 July, 2020, 01:58:16 pm »
Given a position that only permanents are authorised, I can have some sympathy for the board being cautious. In the end, boards tend to be made up of volunteers who give their time, like organisers, so I'd like to appreciate both, and hope that they won't end up at loggerheads.

One additional consideration is the continuing one of people seeing large numbers (not groups) of cyclists and assuming that some big event is going on that must be breaking lockdown rules. Although, given the feeling that some people will object to anything, it's impossible to be guided entirely by that.

Hopefully we can clarify the actual concern. As others have said, validation isn't really the point - I ride Audaxes because they give me something to aim for, and have only accidentally and occasionally ended up with an official "score" at the end of the year. But if necessary I'll switch to a different day, with or without validation.

« Reply #64 on: 13 July, 2020, 06:50:59 pm »
Gonna get my entry in the post tomorrow, was gonna enter the 200, but given how little I've been out over lockdown and how beat I was after a hilly 50 last week...

I'll be riding the 100 :)

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: 13 July, 2020, 07:40:41 pm »
Today the entries for 'Boudicca' 200km have hit the permitted 6 rider target, assuming all ride as planned on 1st August.

This creates quite an admin headache for organisers ... I appreciate the AUK Board has to be cautious but I'm very much in the dark here as to their strategy. As I see it the options I can offer for riders #7 onwards are:

1) A Boudicca 200km brevet to be ridden on another day.
2) A refund.
3) An alternative brevet for another of my permanents, to be ridden on 1st or whenever.
There's also: 4) Ride the route anyway on 1st without a brevet, though not with anyone 'officially' riding, as this also contravenes AUK rules. I couldn't endorse this, nor could I prevent it.  Some of us have been riding 'Notaudaxes' throughout the Lockdown.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #66 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:00:33 pm »
Some clarifications are being made on the AUK forum but it is like pulling teeth.

rob

« Reply #67 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:42:17 pm »
Some clarifications are being made on the AUK forum but it is like pulling teeth.

I mean clearly this is a wind up.  On Friday I did another Tomsk 200 just for fun.  I left at 12:30pm and got back before 8:30pm.  If I applied the same strategy on a day when other groups went off at 8am I guarantee I would not come into contact with another rider or breach any COVID 19 regs.  Same ride, same day but I could be rider number 7 that doesn’t get validated.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: 14 July, 2020, 07:59:37 am »
 I can foresee all sorts of glitches and quibbles juggling the entries - how does the organiser decide between two entries that arrive on the same day by post for place #6? The rider who for whatever reason decides at the last minute not to ride and denies another the chance. Inevitable also that some will be tempted to ride anyway with a brevet'd-up mate - if it comes to my attention, how mean will it be to invalidate the brevet, though of course it contravenes AUK rules?

I appreciate AUK is trying to do the responsible thing and that all this annoying fuss is to avoid the much worse problem of spreading Covid 19 across the planet. By the way, my local club (Dunmow Velo) is now advertising rides as 'Informal' and 'Not Led', but I've not been out with them yet since lockdown, though I've seen many more than groups of 6 riders from other clubs on the road. Or at least I assume to be club runs, since they're in a tight group but all in anonymous non-club kit. Interesting how many have a 2012 Team Sky kit at the back of the drawer ...

rob

« Reply #69 on: 14 July, 2020, 08:35:12 am »
I bumped into 3 Dunmow Velo groups on Sunday morning (coming the other way).  There were more than 6 in each one.

« Reply #70 on: 14 July, 2020, 08:43:29 am »
I can foresee all sorts of glitches and quibbles juggling the entries - how does the organiser decide between two entries that arrive on the same day by post for place #6?

I don't think the board want you running advertised public group perms at all.

They are being unnecessarily conservative. I see no reason why staggered start X-rated calendar events shouldn't be on the agenda and we wouldn't have to do this stupid dance.

rob

« Reply #71 on: 14 July, 2020, 08:47:10 am »
I can foresee all sorts of glitches and quibbles juggling the entries - how does the organiser decide between two entries that arrive on the same day by post for place #6?

I don't think the board want you running advertised public group perms at all.

They are being unnecessarily conservative. I see no reason why staggered start X-rated calendar events shouldn't be on the agenda and we wouldn't have to do this stupid dance.

I've just got involved in the debate on the official forum for the first time ever.   This is very rare for me as I've largely taken things as they come.   The problem is that AUK are now significantly behind the other cycling bodies in trying to get a return to riding.   As I said over there there's a 50 mile TT near me this Sunday that has 120 entries.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #72 on: 14 July, 2020, 08:58:24 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53279653 refers to a 500+km run through Cumbria taking a week with 8 hours sleep. Sounds not overly different to riding a long demanding perm, except she had a support crew and ran with others during the week.

Compare and contrast with riding no more than 200km. Note the lack of any debate regarding whether this activity should have occurred.

rob

« Reply #73 on: 14 July, 2020, 10:02:32 am »

I've just got involved in the debate on the official forum for the first time ever.   

Probably should have left it alone.

« Reply #74 on: 14 July, 2020, 10:14:51 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53279653 refers to a 500+km run through Cumbria taking a week with 8 hours sleep. Sounds not overly different to riding a long demanding perm, except she had a support crew and ran with others during the week.
Compare and contrast with riding no more than 200km. Note the lack of any debate regarding whether this activity should have occurred.
To be fair, @LWaB this superb endurance activity wasn't organised or sanctioned by any body (eg FRA), she had a support crew but I suspect less than 5 at any one time, and again she ran with a few others but I doubt more than 5 others, at a time. (I am going on my experience of running a Bob Graham Round for this insight, not any reporting.) In addition she will not have been going into shops and I suspect use of loos available to the public will have been very occasional (maybe once or twice a day). Entirely reasonable that there is NO debate about whether she 'should' have attempted/completed this run. Same as there's minimal public debate about an individual riding 200+km (the debate over whether the body whose raison d'etre is to encourage long distance cycling in UK by sanctioning rides and recognising riders' achievements is not the same).
So useful comparison of running the Wainwrights round with long distance cycling is constrained to the endurance aspect and the fact that it's outdoors, socially distanced, COVID-19 laws/guidelines compliant and fun, of both types.